Monday, November 4, 2019

What We Read in October

October was definitely a slower reading month for me. Between feeling pretty sick with pregnancy symptoms, then dealing with the miscarriage, followed by buying a house and starting to move things over, I didn't read nearly as much as I usually do. But I still managed to read 5 books, bringing my 2019 total to 86!!

I feel like these reading recap posts are getting really long and not so interesting to read so I'm shortening the format and will focus on "hits" and "misses" with brief comments about the books that fell into those 2 categories.


Hits

- It's no surprise that I loved A Better Man by Louise Penny which is the 15th book in this series. I really hope she writes more - I will be sad to see this series come to a close!

- I also really loved The Huntress by Kate Quinn. It's a WWII novel but focuses on tracking down a Nazi war criminal in the US after the war is over. It took awhile to get into it, but once I was hooked into the story line, it was tough to put down.

Misses

- Time After Time by Lisa Grunwald was very 'meh'. I had trouble getting into it initially but it was a Modern Mrs. Darcy summer reading guide pick and I usually love the books she suggests so I stuck with it. I should have abandoned it as it just wasn't the book for me!

Paul's Reads:

Paul is really into this lift the flap book that I got at Half Priced Books this summer. It's all about farms which is theme he enjoys!


He's also still drawn to this "touch and feel" book that my parents got him about a year ago!


And he still loves the Little Blue Truck books! A new one came out this month called, "Good Night, Little Blue Truck." It's not available in board book form yet but so far he's done well with the format and hasn't torn any pages!


 Did you read anything great this month?

9 comments:

Kyria @ Travel Spot said...

I really enjoyed the Huntress too! I'm glad you liked it! I noticed you didn't put The Library Book as a hit or a miss. I found it interesting but a bit of a slog... I read 12 books in October, but most of them were pretty meh (I'm cleaning out my bookshelves and have a lot of thrift store bought books to get through). My two favorites were Lost Roses and Something in the Water.

The Many Thoughts of a Reader said...

I only read two books but my grandmother asked me to tell you she's sorry is a nice story!

San said...

I haven't read any of the books that you listed... curious to put a couple on my to-read list!

Lana said...

I'm reading "Bossypants" now, and don't like it as much as I thought I would (sorry, Tina Fey!) I somewhat recently finished Amy Poehler's autobiography, "Yes Please", and really enjoyed it, I felt like it got better and better as I read on.

I also just ordered a copy of David Allen's "Getting Things Done" - I've been thinking about learning/implementing his system for a while, and figured that if I start it now, I can have it up and running before January 1st (though I don't really do New Year's resolutions).

Good luck with moving house! We moved when my daughter was about your son's age, and it was very not fun, even with lots of help from the grandparents.

Gracie said...

I'm finally reading "The Indifferent Stars Above" and it's pretty good, although horrific!

Stephany said...

I don't find these posts boring! I like reading about your thoughts about what you're reading and your reviews are usually short and sweet anyway. That's my $.02. Heh.

Favorite book from October was probably the Louise Penny book I read (forget which one and too lazy to look it up, ha). The series really does get better and better as it goes on!

Jeanie said...

I need to check out The Huntress. And yes, A Better Man was fabulous!

Amber said...

I love the book posts and definitely don't find them boring. But I know from experience how time consuming writing long book recommendations can be so understand if it's easier to shorten them :)

86 books is amazing!! It's going to be my biggest reading year ever as well, but nowhere near that. I am hoping to hit 60!

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said...

I love book posts!

It's cute to see what Paul is reading. I am obsessed with kid's books, and often buy them for myself, to use with students, and to give as gifts.

86 books this year is extremely impressive! I can't even imagine all the knowledge you've gained from so much reading year after year!