Friday, September 22, 2023

TGIF!

Happy Friday! This week flew by since I was in New Jersey for work. I hadn't traveled for work in 2 months so this trip kind of wore me out! Here is how the week shaped up.

The books I am reading this week are Under The Skin by Linda Villarosa and Late Bloomers by Deepa Varadarajan. I usually do not read 2 books at the same time but I can only read one chapter a day of Under the Skin, which is about the difference in healthcare treatment/outcomes of Black Americans. It is so sad and heavy so a chapter/day is all I can handle. This is our September book club book which we'll discuss next week. Late Bloomers is pretty easy/breezy. It's about an Indian couple who have divorced and are both dating for the first time in their lives since they had an arranged marriage. It's a bit over-the-top at times in terms of drama but overall it's a nice break from the heaviness of my non-fiction read.

The high of my week was meeting Daria in person! I mentioned in a comment that I was coming to New Jersey and where I'd be staying and it happened to be pretty close to where she lives so we met up for some wine on Wednesday night. We failed to take a picture as we were too busy getting to know each other. It's always delightful to meet a blogger in person - they are exactly as you'd expect them to be from reading their blog. I had mentioned to the sales person I was traveling with that I was meeting a friend for wine on Wednesday and she of course asked how I knew someone in NJ so I had to explain about how I have a blog, etc etc. (Hi Gia, if you are reading this!). I really love how blogging has allowed me to meet so many cool people!

The low of my week was dealing with kid illnesses. Paul was COMPLETELY healthy on Sunday and then Monday morning, his GI bug resurfaced. Le sigh. The same thing happened to him around when he turned 4. He got 2 rounds of a GI bug with a day of health in between. It's so odd. I emailed his pediatrician just to make sure we shouldn't be concerned and it sounded like this is just what viruses do these days. 

A show we are watching is the latest season of Alone on Netflix. On my own, I am slowly working my way through the 3rd season of Sweet Magnolia on Netflix. When I say slowly working my way through it, I mean I watch for 10 minutes while Phil is doing Paul's bedtime and then promptly shut it off when he comes down because it is so not his thing. 

For workouts I did a Caroline Girvan (CG) strength training workout on Monday when Paul was home sick with me since he was happy to be on his iPad in his bedroom. I did a body weight lower body strength training workout in my hotel room on Wednesday and ran on the treadmill on Thursday (and then forgot to end the workout on my apple watch so my pace looks horrific but oh well). Today I will do another CG workout and then will run on Sat and Sun. I haven't ran outside in 2 weeks!

The best money spent was on registration for a 10k on Thanksgiving Day at the lake by our house. When my family decided to celebrate Thanksgiving at my brother's house in the Minneapolis suburbs, I nearly immediately signed up for this race! So I will get in a 10k race which was one of my goals for 2023. It won't be fast and that's FINE. 

My plans this weekend include not much. We are going to the birthday gathering for a good friend tonight. Saturday we will do the library and gymnastics. We have no plans on Sunday. If Taco continues to be healthy, Phil will take one of the boys out to his mom's for the afternoon one of the days.The weather is looking pretty great for the weekend - temps in the 70s! I'll take it! 

How was your week? 

13 comments:

Sarah said...

Minnie had a GI bug like that over Easter, and it worried me SO MUCH (I am a worrier, though. The ped's office was not concerned at all)-- hope he feels better fast. This upper midwest early fall is **chef's kiss**

Elisabeth Frost said...

I'm so jealous you got to have a blogger meetup! You just needed to come a bit further east *hint, hint*

This week was all over the place - one day was amazing and the next literally felt like the lowest point emotionally/mentally I've had in years :( I think all the tough stuff just kinda hit me at once - the sudden death of our friend, trying to support his grieving family, the blog loss, the neighbourhood sitch.

BUT...hitting a new low made me commit to some big changes. Including my FIRST EVER solo retreat. I'm going to my parents lake house without kids (or husband!) for almost a week and I am SO excited. Also...we're looking at real estate listings because maybe it's just time to move!? So I'm headed into the weekend feeling more optimistic and hopeful.

Kyria @ Travel Spot said...

I am so glad you got to meet with Daria! How fun! I know you are always so good at meeting people in person and keeping in touch. Also you are a fun IRL friend and are just like you seem on YOUR blog too! That thing with Paul's bug is strange; did you test him for COVID? It sounds like his thing is a flu, but I heard that COVID is coming back around again.

My week was good! I am trying to work on getting back into a workout groove because there are too many times when I have been flaking on myself. I ended up working out every day but Tuesday, which I had scheduled for a run, but it was pretty smoky here, so that was my excuse. I am going to try to get in a quick bike ride or run after work today and that will be four out of five which is not bad. My highlight was probably volunteering for a soup kitchen on Wednesday. It was very well organized and cleaner than I thought it would be, and was a good reminder that there are many different walks of life.

Jenny said...

Ugh, poor Paul! I hope the rest of you don't get it (sounds like enough time has passed that you're probably safe.)
Hooray, a 10K! That should be fun, and give you something to train for.
I've seen Daria's name in some blog comments before, but realized I've never checked out her blog- so I rectified that today! It must have been really fun to meet up. Let me know if you come down to Florida (but if you do, you have to bring the kids- I want to meet them too!)

Nicole said...

How fun to have a blogger meet up!
I am putting Late Bloomers on my list because it sounds really fun and right up my alley.
My week was really great. I am in Calgary right now for my husband's retirement party! We are heading with friends to Banff tonight and then we drive back to Kelowna tomorrow. So, pretty great on all fronts.

Grateful Kae said...

So fun to meet Daria!! That's so convenient that out of the whole state, you weren't far from her. :)

A Thanksgiving run sounds super fun. I always see those advertised and the whole idea of the turkey trot thing is just cute + pairs well with the later "overeating" we all do. Haha. I have never done a Thanksgiving race, though. Actually, I've never done a 10k. My racing history has been: 2 halfs, a full, another half, a 5k, and then a couple years later another half. And that's it! I think my last race/ half marathon was in maybe 2018? I occasionally think it would be fun to train for a race again just purely to do something totally different for a while! But I haven't *actually* felt a big pull or desire to do so, so...we'll see.

San said...

I am so stoked you got to meet Daria. It's really so wonderful how easy it is to take URL to IRL. Too bad you didn't take a picture.
I still remember when you came out to CA and we met up for Thai food :)

I am so sorry to hear that Paul is sick again. I hope he's better now!

And yay for signing up for a 10k.

coco said...

so fun to meet with a blogger friend! I know what you mean the the person turns out exactly like their blog personality. I feel like I know you, Kae, Sarah for real, wish we could hang out one day together.
sorry to about sick kid, same problem here. hang in there.

Anonymous said...

A solo retreat?? Incredible. Take me, take me lol

Anonymous said...

Can’t include my name for some reason, blogger on mobile doesn’t work well for me. It was so great to meet you! Next time let’s remember to take a picture! I hope the sickies go away soon! Daria

Stephany said...

I'm so glad you could meet Daria during your work trip! How fun!

That is so crazy that Paul got knocked down again with his bug after seeming completely healthy. I've never heard of that! I'm glad he's on the mend, though.

My week was a good one - mostly because I put myself on a very structured routine and felt super productive throughout the week. I needed that because the week before, I felt like I wasn't getting anything done!

Charbelle said...

I'm so thankful for blogs!!! I love that you got to meet another blogger!!! I'm in Savannah this week for work. I've traveled quite a bit this year, and while I enjoy it I definitely feel the extra pressure of it! I watched Quarterbacks on Netflix and I really liked it! MH has gotten so picky about any show that I just give up but that one he actually did stay in the room. Oh you are going to have such a great time doing the Thanksgiving 10K! There is one I used to absolutely love doing in LKN area but with celebrating at Badin Lake now it makes it too far away from that one. I need to check Albemarle and see if there are any available closer to where my Mom is!

Jeanie said...

It sounds like a pretty good week and I hope the weekend was just as good! That's nice, you'll get to do the 10K! I can't believe we're talking Thanksgiving already!