Monday, April 15, 2024

Weekend at home + heavy heart

Our re-entry has been great. When we pulled up to our house on Thursday night, Paul spoke for us all when he said: ‘home, sweet, home’. Traveling is wonderful but it’s a good feeling when you return and feel happy to be back. Here were some happenings from the weekend.  

- On Friday I got a steroid injections from a PA at my rheumatology clinic. I have been on 20mg of prednisone for well over a week and my flare wasn’t improving. Injections aren’t pleasant but they do the trick. It was difficult to eat or cut things up for the boys so an injection was necessary. I changed my weekly injectable meds a couple of months ago. Fingers crossed this new cocktail of drugs does the trick. But now I have a new flare in a different joint of the same finger - hopefully the oral steroids I will stay on for the next week or so will help with it… otherwise I will be back for another steroid injection.

- I went for a beautiful 4 mile run on Saturday. Spring is springing so I made sure to pay attention to the budding trees and things that are starting to bloom. I also did a CG workout on Sunday. I am almost done with her iron series which I have really enjoyed.

- Taco has been using the potty sporadically recently so we decided to focus on potty training again and he did AMAZING! He’s been pooping in the potty for the last couple of months (sorry if that’s TMI) and was finally figuring out the peeing aspect. I am so glad that we are done with pull ups during the day!! He only had one accident the whole weekend - it happened on Saturday while we were outside for a long stretch. It would have been ideal to stay close to home while training but it was too beautiful outside to stay in! 

- Phil helped a friend put their docks in and took Paul with so I was on my own with Taco on Saturday. The weather was gorgeous so we spent a ton of time outside. Who would have thought the warmest weather (mid-80s!!) of the week would be in Minnnesota! We played outside, said hi to the geese and went to the creek and park. 



The geese! No toys out yet which Taco was bummed about.

He was really representing Minnesota sports teams that day! 


- the boys and I walked/scooted up to Starbucks on Sunday am for a latte for me and cake pops for them. The weather was gorgeous again. 



- we visited another park after swimming lessons/nap time. The park was PACKED and people were not monitoring their kids so it was kind of chaotic. Real talk: it ended on a sour notes with me carrying Taco out after he threw wood chips at me… That’s toddler life for you. Impulse control is non-existent. 

Taco oddly loves to push a merry-go-round full of kids!

- Throughout the weekend I received regular updates on my grandma. She was alert and had a lot of visitors in the early part of the weekend but became unresponsive late Saturday night. She peacefully passed away last night. I take comfort in my belief that she is free from pain and reunited with the loved ones in the great beyond. 

Now today I fly to New Jersey for work and return late Thursday night although I imagine I will be flying back earlier than planned depending on the timing of her funeral. 

So I enter this week with a heavy heart because goodbyes are hard even when they are expected and you are prepared. But I am also so grateful that my grandma got to witness so much of my life - she met my husband and children and we had such a close relationship up to her death with no words unsaid. And what a gift that is. 

17 comments:

Nicole said...

Oh Lisa, I am so sorry about your grandma's passing, I know you will miss her. What a gift she was to you and your life. She sounds really special. I am glad, though, that she is no longer in pain and passed peacefully. That's a real blessing too. I know you spent a lot of time with her over the years and that she will be very much missed.

I hope your injections help with your RA. It sounds SO painful.

Kyria @ Travel Spot said...

It sounds like you had a very pleasant weekend, despite the news regarding your grandma. I know she is probably happily snuggled up next to your grandpa right now and is loving it! I can't believe your weather was in the 80s! Yikes! I have been experiencing extremes lately (I've been in the OR high desert) with mornings in the 20s and yesterday afternoon was in the 70s but nothing as hot as the 80s yet (luckily!) I prefer if it is over 40 but don't really want it too much over 70 when I am riding, especially if there is no tree cover, which has been the case at times. The sun can really beat down on my head sometimes!

Yay for pooping in the potty! Did you guys use candy or anything for a reward? I remember K training one of the girls and they would get M&Ms and they were very enthusiastic about pooping if they got candy afterward! I hope your flare is feeling better. I can't imagine not being able to chop veggies or something like that which I take for granted. My grandma has arthritis really bad, and I have one thumb that doesn't bend well and is painful, AND is exacerbated by extended bike riding (go figure) but I cannot imagine if it were all of my fingers or my entire hand. I am sending good juju your way for a speedy recovery.

ccr in MA said...

I'm sorry about your grandmother; as you say, even when expected, it isn't easy. But how wonderful not to have anything left unsaid. It was a special relationship.

Jenny said...

Lisa, I'm so sorry! Yes, even when it's expected and for the best, it's still hard to say goodbye. It's hard to wrap your head around the fact that someone is truly gone.
On a happier note, it sounds like the weekend was great. Reading this and looking at your photos reminds me of what spring was like up north- I definitely miss it. But not enough to go through a winter again, ha ha. But I'm glad you're experiencing it!
Good luck with the travel this week!

Stephany said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your grandma, Lisa. Even an expected loss is still heartbreaking and difficult to handle. You got to have so many memories with your grandma and I believe she is in a better place now. <3

I'm glad you were able to make the most of this weekend, even with all of the stuff surrounding your grandma! And I really hope those steroid injections work, and you do not need to go back for more anytime soon!

NGS said...

Hugs to you, my friend.

It is crazy to me how offhand you are about these steroid treatments. If I had a steroid shot, it's all you would hear about from me for days. I guess it really does make a difference when there's so much other stuff to focus on.

Life of a Doctor's Wife said...

Oh Lisa. I am so sorry for your loss. You have such a beautiful perspective on your grandmother's life and it sounds like you had a truly wonderful relationship. What a blessing to have had your grandmother in your life, as I'm sure you were a blessing in hers. Sending you and your family so much love as you grieve for her.

I am glad to hear the steroid injections are giving you some relief. And congrats on the potty training success!

Safe travels.

Elisabeth said...

Oh Lisa, I'm so sorry, friend. Saying goodbye is hard no matter the circumstances. I'm so glad your parents were able to be with her in those last days. Sending hugs <3

I think this is another thing about parenting - life has to go on in the strangest of ways. You have so much going on with travel, your grandma, RA flares, potty-training. I'm sure it often feels completely and utterly overwhelming but you put one foot in front of the other and carve out great experiences for your kids (even if toddlers have a knack for making life HARD). Things will get easier, as I keep saying, but I'm so proud of you for keepin' on keepin' on <3

Birchwood Pie said...

I am so sorry for the loss of your Grandmother. Yes she is free from pain but now you have the pain of losing her.

Your weekend sounds wonderful in spite of it all - yes including having to carry Taco out of the park after the wood chip incident. Real life, folks.

Jeanie said...

I'm glad you had a little joy in the weekend -- a good run, good potty time, good time with the kids -- to offset the RA flare and especially the loss of your grandmother. You are right -- expected and a peaceful death does not mean it's easy for those left behind. I'm so sorry

Sarah said...

I am so sorry, Lisa. You are right-- even when we're prepared, it's so difficult. I wish you peace in the days ahead.

Ernie said...

Oh, Lisa. I'm so sorry for your loss. It is never easy, even when someone has lived a full life. I'm thinking of you as you prepare for her funeral. XO

*but also, hooray for great steps in potty training. It is always a great feeling when they finally 'get it.' Hard to believe the weather here was nicer than Florida. So silly, but glad you got out and about and were able to enjoy it.

Coco said...

I'm so sorry for your loss Lisa. I am glad to hear that you are at peace and knowing that you had spent good quality time with her during her long life.
Sorry about the RA flare up, doesn't sound fun at all having to do injection in fingers? must be painful but better than not being able to function normally. hopefully the oral meds help with the new flare up location to avoid another injection.

Laura V said...

Lisa - so sorry for your loss. I've enjoyed reading over the years about how close you were with your grandmother. I hope to someday have that kind of relationship with my grandkids!!

Carolina John said...

Grandparents are the best, I'm so sorry you lost one. it's so hard to accept.

San said...

I am so sorry to hear about your grandma, Lisa. I know you knew it was coming and you almost wished for her to be set free, but it's still hard to lose a grandparent, especially someone you where so close to. <3 I hope all the memories and good times will be a comfort going forward.

Anne said...

Oh, Lisa. I'm so sorry to hear about your grandmother. Even when we "know" it's imminent, it's never easy. I hope that you and your family find comfort in knowing that her last days were what she wanted, and that you all never missed an opportunity to show her how much you loved her.