Friday, July 29, 2011

Dairy Free Friday

I haven't done one of these posts for quite awhile!  I am still living dairy free, I just haven't taken the time to put a recipe post together for awhile.

Last week when I had my brothers' family over for lunch, I made this delicious Garden Bean Salad!  It's super simple and very delicious so I highly recommend it!

Ingredients:
1 small red onion, finely diced
1/4 c. apple cider vinegar
2 t. sugar
Kosher salt
1/4 c. extra-virgin olive oil
1 15-oz. can of white beans, drained and rinsed
3/4 lb. green and/or wax beans, trimmed and halved
2 T. finely chopped fresh parsley
2 T. finely chopped fresh chives
Freshly ground pepper

Now the post, in photos (which are kind of crappy because I was sort of in a rush to get this salad made before my brothers' family arrived).

Finely dice the onion and soak in water for 10 minutes (never had to soak an onion before...  kind of odd, but whatever!)
 Next, in a large bowl, whisk together the vinegar, sugar, and 1/2 t. of salt.  When combined, whisk in EVOO.

Drain the onion, pat dry.  Stir onion and white beans into the dressing.

Bring salted water to a boil, add beans and cook for 4-5 minutes until beans are crisp-tender. 
 Drain beans, then plunge into a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking.  Drain, pat dry, and add to salad.  Marinate at room temperature for about 1 hour.

Add chopped parsley and chives and serve!

See?  Pretty easy, right?  Not a whole lot of chopping either.  I think I threw it together in about 30 minutes.

Have you tried any new recipes this summer?

16 comments:

Maris (In Good Taste) said...

Quick, easy and looks delectable!
Happy Friday!

Unknown said...

Yum! Nice granite there, Lisa!!!

Kelly (She Wears a Red Sox Cap) said...

Weird, I am procrastinating and I was like "I wonder if Lisa did a dairy free friday post" and BAM you did haha.

Sounds really yummy :) Have a good weekend!

Kyria @ Travel Spot said...

That looks great! I love green bean summer salads. Or any summer salads really, but I have a special fondness for green beans.

I am still on the lookout for coconut milk ice cream.

missris said...

This sounds delicious!

Raquelita said...

Yum! I'm going to have to make a version of this for my lunches this next week!

Marlys said...

Mmm - looks so fresh and delicious!

Jess said...

That looks really tasty!

Nora said...

I have tried a bunch of new recipes, most of which aren't gluten free/dairy free otherwise I'd be happy to share. I have a bunch of new ones I want to try that I keep finding in the fabulous Rachel Ray magazines! Kind of makes me excited for fall to try new baking recipes + entrees :)

Cherry Blossoms said...

Quick and easy that is my kind of cooking! It looks delicious!

crystal said...

Yum!! I have this aversion to the smell of apple cider vinegar for some reason, not the taste, just the smell. Maybe I will have to have Rachel make this so I can *forget* that it is in it because it looks awesome!

Amber said...

Looks great! I love bean salads so I will definitely be making this soon. Maybe this weekend for our guests!

The Many Thoughts of a Reader said...

ive been making a cuc,tomato,feta, onion, green olive and fresh pea salad. evoo and red wine vinegar for dressing. oh and i add green olives.

Sarah said...

That salad looks delicious! I'm gonna have to try it out sometime soon. Thanks for sharing.

Abby said...

Delicious! I am going to make this. And I'm with Barb - gorgeous granite

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said...

I have tried a few new recipes this summer, but not as many as I normally do in the summer. Hopefully I can sneak a few more in before I go back to work at the end of August.