Tuesday, July 17, 2012

2012 Vacation Part I - Lake Relaxation


I've been back from vacation for almost a week, so figure it's time to start the recapping process!  I have too much to share for one post, so I'll be sharing a series of posts, which will be capped off with a recap of Amber's wedding!!

The first part of my vacation was spent at my parents' lake home and it was awesome.  It was just what I needed.  It was the first vacation that I've taken in a long, long time (err, ever possibly?) that was totally and completely relaxing.  I spent lots of time with family and filled my days with lots of reading, relaxation, and time in the water!  I ate really well, and enjoyed some of our unique traditional food and beverages like rhubarb slush (so refreshing) and pickle dip (pickles + cream cheese + sour cream)  Yum!

I think I spent more time in the water those 4 days than I have in the last 4 years!  It was VERY hot and humid, so it was necessary to be in the water to stay cool!  I also fit in some ridiculously hot, humid runs.  Jumping in the lake afterwards is the best post-run recovery, by the way!

Here are some pictures I snapped during the week!

The word that comes to mind when I look at this picture is serenity.  That word sums up most of my lake vacation, too!  I love waking up to the calm, still waters.  Taking in scenery like this is good for the soul!

Even the kids took it easy!  There's Matthew laying on a floatie.  We spent A LOT of time on those floaties!

When we were out of the water, both kids and adults cooled off with a childhood favorite of mine - freezies!

On the 4th, we had a big family gathering.  There was 36 of us at my parents'!  Here is a picture of my cousin's adorable little guy, Odin.

It was really fun to watch my nephew Matthew go from being a bit scared of the water, to wading out, to full on swimming out to the raft (with a life jacket of course).  He was so proud of himself!!

The raft was very popular.  Abby and Ryan (pictured above) scored some bonus points with the kiddos by throwing them off the raft (at the kid's request) over and over and over!


So there you have it!  I left the lake on Thursday, July 5th feeling incredibly relaxed... and ready for the next leg of my vacation - which began that afternoon when I flew out to Seattle.

Stay tuned for the next phase of my vacation!

How did you celebrate Independence Day?

20 comments:

Kelly (She Wears a Red Sox Cap) said...

Ah, a totally relaxing vacation is what I need, but since the Cape is closed up it's not going to happen this summer. Oh well :) I have to get better at relaxing on my other vacations!

I love watching kids learn how to swim/get comfortable in the water. They get so excited about it!

Stephany said...

Relaxing vacations are the BEST! It's fun to get out and do stuff and sightsee, but sometimes, those vacations where you don't do much but relax can be so rejuvenating.

missris said...

Wow that place looks like heaven on earth! And you've had such a busy first half of your year you definitely deserve some relaxing!

Amber @ A Little Pink in the Cornfields said...

I LOVE lake vacations like that! That is how it is when we are at Okoboji and I just love when I have the opportunity to join my friends family and go up there!

On the 4th I went to the "beach" for a little while and then we hit up two different parties. I had a really good time at the first party and ran into a couple friends of friends that I've communicated with only via Twitter and blogging so that was really nice to meet in person!

I'm glad your vacation started off so relaxing!

Marlys said...

Great photos! And, in response to missris, it is close to "heaven on earth"!

Abby said...

This trip made me realize just how much I miss the lakes. Water is such a luxury. And pools are nice, but they just aren't the same...;)

It was so much fun seeing everyone and catching up on our nephews & how fast they are growing up!

Leigh said...

Sometimes the vacations spent with no plans except to relax and enjoy the moments are the best!

San said...

Awww, the start into your vacation sounds SO relaxing and the photos are so pretty. It must have been wonderful to just relax at the lake with your family! :)

We hung out in Boston on July, 4th... literally hung out in the park with iced coffee and a view of the State Capitol :) later we met up for dinner with a friend and enjoyed the Charles River with thousands of other people (waiting for the fireworks!). It was such a special 4th of July this year!

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks said...

Your time at the lake house reminds me of our time at my parents' beach house. There definitely is something soothing about being on the water!

Cherry Blossoms said...

That raft look so relaxing and I can't believe how big the boys are getting!

Amber said...

That looks amazing! When I was younger we used to spend 2 weeks in Penticton every year and rent a house on the lake with a bunch of my cousins. One week was for hockey camp and one week was for laying around and relaxing on the beach!! I need to plan a super relaxing vacay soon. Our honeymoon was the most relaxing one we've done in awhile but it was still quite busy AND we did a lot of driving!

Becky said...

Ahhh, I want to be there!!!

Raquelita said...

Oooh! It does look incredibly relaxing, and you so deserved some r&r, my friend! I spent the 4th of July packing and bemoaning that I had DNS'ed a race due to a crick in my neck. There's always next year....

A said...

This looks SO AMAZING!

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said...

I didn't celebrate Independence day, but Canada day is July 1st and I spent it at home having drinks, cooking and watching the fire works out the window amidst the pouring rain and lightening.

Unknown said...

Looks pretty perfect there at Battle Lake!!!
I am so glad you had a chance for relaxation.
See you soon!

The Many Thoughts of a Reader said...

ahh, looks fun! ;)

Kyria @ Travel Spot said...

That looks so relaxing and sounds so great. Except for the humidity part! I have to be honest with you; I have been living near the beach now for almost 2 months and I haven't had a real "beach day". I have gone on walks on the beach many, many times, but have never taken my book and towel down there and just lounged around! Part of it is the tourists though -- it's not that relaxing when you have people and their kids running around everywhere!

Abby said...

Stanley park looks like my kind of paradise! Beautiful. Vancoover is on my bucket list of places to visit for sure.

I love the idea of touring a city on bike. Ryan and I kind of did that when we were in San Diego last time. The rental we stayed at had bikes. I had a pink cruiser, he had a red one. And they had baskets! Perfect for carrying my purse! I was in heaven.

Sounds like you had a such a great time! I think it's so cool the great friends you've met through blogging.

Melissa said...

This sounds amazing. I love relaxing vacations. Not to mention extra family time is always welcome. I love that first picture- serenity is DEFINITELY the right word for it!