Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Book Review: Capital of the World

Truth be told, I haven't been seeking out much non-fiction these days given the amount of heavy reading I do for the CFA each week.  But when I was asked if I'd like to review "Capital of the World" by Charlene Mires for a TLC Book Tour, I couldn't say no!  It tells the story of the the race to host the United Nations.  While I knew the UN was headquartered in New York City, I did not know much more about the roots of that organization.  I had a vague recollection of learning about the formation of the UN in a high school history class, but that is about I knew about the UN.  It was interesting to read about the various cities that campaigned hard for the opportunity to host the United Nations in their city.  A lot of cities threw their name in the hat from big cities like San Francisco to smaller, less known areas like the Black Hills of South Dakota.  That one shocked me the most to be quite honest.  I have been to the Black Hills several times, but I can't say I would have ever guessed that they tried to house the United Nations headquarters!

If you enjoy reading non-fiction and are curious about the origins of the United Nations, then this is the book for you!

Do you enjoy non-fiction?  Do you read many non-fiction books each year?  These days I don't but once the CFA is behind me, I would like to start reading a non-fiction book every 2-3 months.  My heart will always belong to fiction, but I do see the benefits of sprinkling in some non-fiction among the lighter fiction books I read!

9 comments:

Kelly (She Wears a Red Sox Cap) said...

This book definitely sounds interesting! I almost never read nonfiction, but I really should. I just find it so much harder to get through because I'm not curious what happens next as much!

Abby said...

This sounds really interesting !!! I need to start buffing up in history, because I know very little. It's sort of embarrassing. I don't tend to read a lot of non fiction books, but have always wanted to start.

Jeanie said...

I probably read more non-fiction than fiction, mostly biographies or things related to WWI or II, maybe essays. This looks pretty fascinating.

Amber said...

I very rarely read non-fiction books! Sometimes I will read a good biography but that's about it.

Stephany said...

Last year, I made myself a resolution to read 1 non-fiction book a month, because I know I don't read enough of them and it was a really fun goal to complete! I have so many non-fiction books I want to read but just don't, because I enjoy fiction so much more. And now I'm in more of a habit to read non-fiction. I've read 3 already so far this year!

This book sounds really interesting, too!

ProfMires said...

Lisa, thank you for reading my book. If anyone would like to see if their hometown jumped into the race to host the United Nations, I have posted a list with more stories on my blog, http://capital-of-the-world.com. Enjoy!

Raquelita said...

I read non-fiction all the time for my work, so I tend not to gravitate toward it for my leisure reading.

Heather J @ TLC Book Tours said...

I love the idea of the Black Hills as the UN location, especially after hearing the reasoning (which another blogger mentioned in her review)... fascinating!

Thank for being a part of the tour.

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said...

I almost read non-fiction exclusively. I love non-fiction!