Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Music, Books, Miles and Looks of June

Whoa - it's July?  Holy Batman this year is flying by!

Music:

 
Peace by OAR - I have been a big fan of the band OAR for quite awhile and I love their new single.  Also?  This video was recorded at a live performance that they did in Minneapolis this spring!

Books:

I actually have a social life again which means I read a lot less in June.  Which I am more than OK with.  I read 4 books and my favorite was Eleanor and Park!


Black and Blue by Anna Quindlen - 4 stars
Alice I Have Been by Melanie Benjamin - 2 stars
Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell - 4 stars
The Painted Girls by Cathy Marie Buchanan - 3 stars

Miles:

June was another great month in terms of workouts.  I managed to run 77.5 miles which I'm happy with as that's 20 miles more than I ran last month!  I am also proud of the fact that I did so much strength training this month thanks to my participation in the summer shred.  I'll do a post tomorrow with my thoughts on the program (spoiler alert:  I loved it!). I managed to do 16 shred workouts on top of all the miles I ran so I was definitely very active in June!  And for the 3rd month in a row, I achieved my goal of doing 30 workouts in 30 days, which means I've done 91 workouts in 91 days!


Looks:

June was a better looks month for me since I was back at work.  The first look is a dress that I got from Banana Republic years ago.  I hadn't worn it in quite awhile as it felt a little snug for awhile there, but thanks to the inches I've lost by incorporating strength training, it now fits great!  The fact that I have had this dress for 3+ years and am still wearing it is one of the big reasons I shop at places like Banana.  The clothes are a little more expensive than other chains, but the looks are (mostly) timeless and the clothes last for years!


My second look is a new polka dot dress that I got on the clearance rack at Loft.  I tend to favor stripes, but polka dots are a pattern I am starting to add to my wardrobe!

15 comments:

Becky said...

I KNOW! I can't believe it's July either! And woo for you that you fit in so much exercise and running! Yes!

Caroline said...

Way to go with all the miles! And so glad you liked the shred! I can't wait to hear more about your thoughts. I finished up my 100 days of workouts earlier in June and I'm considering starting it back up again sometime in July. It helps keep me active even in small ways : )

Gracie said...

Reminds me to get moving on strength training, myself. I can start working out again this Friday, so it's time for me to work on MY inches!

Erin said...

I woke up this morning and said "Rabbit Rabbit" (which is what I do on the first of every month for good luck) and thought "Man--July??!!??!"

Congratulations on all the workouts! You truly inspire me :) Those outfits both look great and I agree---polka dots are another fun pattern!

Thanks for the email I woke up to today :) You are always so encouraging!

The Many Thoughts of a Reader said...

Love the dresses! Polka dots are something I'm really liking but I can't seem to find the perfect size polka dot that I like on myself! I did get a dress last year from Kohls that I liked with polka dots but sometimes I get them on me and I'm like uhhhh no get it off fast!

missris said...

LOVE the polka dots :)

Amber said...

I love the polka dot dress! Looks great on you! And how awesome is that the dress fits you better thanks to losing some inches and toning up. I'm so glad you did the shred too! Those shreds have definitely made me a much bigger fan of strength training and my body shape has definitely changed for the better since I've started adding it in regularly.

Marlys said...

I love the dresses, and I also love polka dots! They are better for me than stripes because because I didn't do the summer shred! :)
Time flies when you are having fun, or keeping busy like it sounds you are!

Emilie said...

Seriously! We have less than six months until Christmas - THAT is crazy. I feel like winter was never ending this year and suddenly we are in the middle of summer. I'm so impressed with your miles! I think I only managed around 50 miles in June. I should end up around 94 for July if I stick to my training plan. Way to go on the strength workouts, too! That is my biggest downfall but I am determined to make it a permanent part of my routine. I always love your outfits - I should check out Banana Republic. I buy most of my work clothes from New York and Company which is a little less expensive. Also, I am loving Peace as well! It's been on repeat the last couple weeks. I would love to see OAR live one day! Glad you had such a fantastic June :)

Anonymous said...

I finished E&P last night and we need to discuss. I loved it. What were those 3 words in the postcard!?

Love the polka dot dress, btw.

Stephany said...

Glad June was so good to you! And I am thrilled that you loved Eleanor & Park. I am such a huge Rainbow Rowell fan. She’s an awesome writer!

I can’t wait to hear your thoughts on the shred! I’ve pondered trying out one of those boot camps, but haven’t taken the plunge yet. But strength training is my favorite way to work out so I think I would enjoy them a lot!

melissa said...

I am SO excited to read Eleanor & Park. Also, you've suddenly given me a huge urge to go shop at Banana Republic. You look great! :)

Kelly (She Wears a Red Sox Cap) said...

I can't believe it's July either. But i love July, so yay :)
You did great with your workouts this month and I love your dresses. Eleanor and Park was SUCH a good book!

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said...

This year has just been flying by! I am doing a summer reading challenge with friends at work, and am currently reading two books :-)

Jeanie said...

I'd say a social life is a fine reason to read a little less -- you're still doing a lot! And loved your looks!