Wednesday, May 11, 2016

FAI Impingement: Post-surgery Update

Greetings and happy Wednesday, everyone. It's been 2 days since my surgery so I thought I'd check in and let you know how it went.

I was the first surgery of the day on Monday which meant that we had to be at the hospital at 5 am so I'd be all ready to go for surgery at 6:30. I met with the surgeon, his physician's assistant, and two of the anesthetists before going into surgery, so that 1.5 hours in pre-op went pretty quickly.

Pre-surgery selfie
The pre-op nurse had warned me that I would wake up in a lot of pain and that the day of surgery would be the worst. She didn't want to scare me but wanted me to have proper expectations. And boy was she right! I woke up in quite a bit of pain but once I took some Vicodin it was a bit more manageable, and by 9:30 we were released and sent home. I was surprised how quickly I got out of post-op but I was happy to leave so I could rest in the comfort of our home.

Phil was an absolutely trooper. Going through something like a surgery brings you to a whole new level of vulnerability. I was in tough shape when we got home so getting me up the front stairs and into the house was very challenging, plus I thought I was on the verge of throwing up! Luckily once I got inside and sat down, I felt better and did not get sick. He waited on my hand and foot that day and even had to do things like help me go to the bathroom. He's definitely a keeper! I'm an extremely independent person, so it's tough to have to ask for help but I know that this is one of those times where I just have to get over that and take help when it's needed and/or offered.

My day was brightened by the receipt of some get well cards as well as this beautiful flower arrangement from my coworkers!


Phil had to return to work on Tuesday as he'd been off the last 2 days and they are very short staffed at his company, so my mom ended up coming up for the day to take me to my first PT appointment. But first, she helped me remove the dressing and put band-aids on my incisions. I hope this doesn't gross anyone out, but this is what the surgical site looked like. I'm amazed that they were able to do all they did (stitched up the tear in my labrum and reshaped the bone of my ball joint and hip socket) in 2 tiny little incisions.

They made me write 'yes' on the hip they'd be operating on during pre-op. As you can see, the surgical area is pretty bruised/swollen.
Before heading to PT, I got another flower delivery - this time from Nora and Nilsa! When Nora came to visit, we went to the Arboretum and I commented on how much I love azaleas -  she must have remembered that!

I was still in quite a bit of pain when I went to my PT appointment so I was very nervous about it, but it went better than I thought it would. She did some things to mobilize the joint and gave me a couple of other things to work on. Before leaving the appointment, she had me use the stationary bike. I pedaled with my good leg and let the other one rest between the pedals. Apparently the good leg communicates to the bad leg and it helps with healing or something like that. I don't really understand how that is possible but she's the expert so I'll take what she says for fact! I'll see her again on Thursday.

I laid low for the rest of the day and my mom headed back home around 2 that day. Besides having Phil and my mom as my nurses this week, Oscar has also been keeping a close eye on me. It's interesting to me how pets can just sense that something is not right. Oscar usually does not come too close to me since she's such a daddy's girl, but she's been staying close by and last night she sat on my lap and eventually fell asleep for a good chunk of time. It was very comforting to have a warm kitty on my lap!


So all in all, I'm hanging in there and getting better at using the crutches. Steps are still darn near impossible for me without the help of another person but hopefully I get better as time progresses. I'll be on crutches for 2 weeks and then the third week I will be able to walk but will use the crutches for support. I'm happy the surgery is behind me but am very much looking forward to being in less pain!

20 comments:

Kyria @ Travel Spot said...

I am glad that you are healing nicely and that you have some wonderful people around you to care for you and send well wishes your way. I was thinking about you on Monday morning! Aside from the pain, are you able to concentrate enough to read and/or catch up on shows or anything or are you mostly sleeping/resting?

I have had surgery a few times and I remember when I had it on my hand, my friend had to help me put my bra back on afterward. Talk about feeling helpless! However, it's friends like that and times like that which really show you who's who!! I wish you a speedy recovery and I hope that the pain recedes quickly.

Gracie said...

So relieved and excited for you that your surgery is behind you. And it sounds like things are going very smoothly! Keep recovering well and you'll be feeling a million times better in no time. And stick with the joint mobilization, even if it feels dumb to half-pedal on no resistance for an hour - I remember listening to many a podcast while on the stationary bike for the first few weeks!

Charbelle said...

I'm so glad that everything went smoothly and you have such amazing support! The flowers are absolutely beautiful! Pets can definitely sense when something is not right, she is so sweet on your lap! Continuing to pray for quick healing!

Emilie said...

That post-anesthesia nausea is brutal! I'm sorry you had to experience that, and that you're in so much pain, but hope that every day gets a little better. I'm surprised they sent you home so early! I have needed help going to the bathroom post-surgery before and it's not pleasant, but it's good to have people willing to help with that. My cats tend to be more clingy when I'm sick - I have a photo from when I had kidney stones and 4 of my 5 cats were on the couch with me! Pet therapy is really a wonderful thing. Fingers crossed recovery continues to go well for you! I've been thinking about you all week!

Caroline said...

I'm glad everything went smoothly and Phil and your mom have been there to help out!! Wishing you a speedy recovery and no more pain!

Marlys said...

I pray each day gets a bit better, and I'm really happy that I could be with you yesterday! I don't think you would have gotten out of the house by yourself! The flowers are so beautiful and smell so good - it filled the house with their scent!
I am sure the therapy will help you progress toward full recovery and this whole ordeal will be behind you! Running trails are on the horizon!

missris said...

I'm so glad to hear you're on the mend! You'll be back on your feet in no time, I'm sure of it! Until then, I'm sending you hugs from Pittsburgh :)

Jeanie said...

I'm so glad it went well and especially happy that you are being well cared for, not that I doubted it for a minute! And yes, Phil is a Keeper. So is Mom and of course Oscar goes without saying! I'm glad you are on the way to recovery and hopefully it will go well and quickly. Already being in top shape before has to help a lot! And I know your dedication so I'm sure you'll be doing your PT exercises faithfully! Keep on keeping on!

Leigh said...

So glad to hear your surgery went well and that you are recovering well! Nothing beats having your mom there when you need her :)

Lauren @ Sassy Molassy said...

Oh wow, that does look and sound painful. So nice to have Phil and then your mom (and of course, the kitty) there to help you out. And even being independent, it just feels nice to really be able to rely on folks for support and care when you need it most. :) I hope you're hanging in there and getting plenty of reading and relaxing in!

Nora said...

I know surgery sucks but I'm so glad (as I'm sure you are) that you have such a support system between family and Phil, friends near and far. Wish I could come over and sit with you, have some tea and watch some movies. For now I'll continue to send recommendations as I can think of them :)

Sending you lots of love and so many healing thoughts!

Stephany said...

I'm so glad to hear that the surgery went well and you are on your way to recovery! I've only had one surgery in my life and I was four, so all I really remember from it was I got wheeled to the operating room in a little red wagon (yes, really!), wanted my grandpa the minute I woke up (not my mom - so strange!), and got to eat LOTS of vanilla pudding (had my tonsils removed, hence needing soft foods!).

I hope each day feels better and better for you. Feeling helpless and needing help to do simple tasks is such a vulnerable feeling, and I'm very glad you have a strong support system to help you through the recovery process!

Best wishes - thanks for keeping us updated!

Jenny said...

I'm very happy to hear that the surgery went well and you are being well looked after. Hope your recovery continues to go well and I'm sure you'll be a master with those crutches in no time and have your independence back :)

katielookingforward said...

Uff da! Keep healing my dear!!!

Elizabeth said...

So glad you are on the mend and that the incisions are small. I agree that it's hard to ask for help but SO glad that Phil and your mom were there to assist you. In this case, the help was well needed and it's always nice to have loved ones to be there :) Speaking of loved ones, way to go Oscar! It truly is interesting how animals just seem to know when/how to respond to struggle/vulnerability. Glad Oscar is being a great nurse. Continuing to pray for a healthy recovery and here's hoping you'll be back to your favorite pursuits sooner rather than later!

Linda said...

You did it! And you continue to do it. Gentle high five and well wishes.

Carolina John said...

Let the healing begin! So glad this surgery is behind you now and you can start to move forward. Running commences in only 3 short months!

Amber said...

I'm so glad you had your mom and Phil to take care of you and you were showered with love from friends and coworkers last week. I can't believe those two tiny incisions either - just crazy! And yay for kitty cuddles, pet do always seem to be able to tell when something is wrong. Glad you had Oscar for company last week.

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said...

Glad to hear the surgery is behind you and that it went well, despite all that post-surgery pain. That's so wonderful that Phil waited on you and helped you so much; what a guy :-) And it's great that your mom was able to help you too!! I hope you heal up quickly!!

J and A said...

So glad all went well and you had such good help!! Take it easy!!