Sunday, August 6, 2017

Zucchini for Daaaaaays

I changed up what I planted in my garden a bit this year, and one vegetable I added was zucchini. I only planted one hill, but that hill is producing like CRAZY!!  I've lost count of how many zucchini I've picked, but it's a lot. I feel like I could sit by my garden and literally watch it grow! Luckily I was able to off-load some on my siblings and parents when I was at the lake, I gave another bag to a friend, and there is also a donation bin at our community garden that a member takes to a local food shelf (love this!).

While I've given quite a bit away, I've also used quite a bit of it. I thought I'd share some of the recipes I've made in case you or someone you know has a ton of zucchini and needs ideas about how to use it!

First up - sausage stuffed zucchini boats. This is one of my favorite dishes to make with zucchini. It's perfect for garden zucchini because you need a bigger zucchini to make these boats (the dinky ones they sell in the grocery store aren't big enough to stuff). The blog this recipe came from has a bunch of other ideas for stuffed zucchini but I've always stuck to this version because I love it so much!


Last Monday I made zucchini "meatballs" which I served on a bed of GF spaghetti. The recipe calls for bread crumbs but I was able to find some at the grocery store so it was easy to make a GF version of this. Next time I would either make them smaller or bake them for longer as they weren't quite as done in the middle as I would have liked. But they were still good!


I've made Creamy Parmesan Zucchini Rice twice this month when we've either hosted or went to another couple's house for dinner.  It's really yummy and a very easy recipe. I also think it would be kid friendly as the zucchini blends in really well and you mostly just taste the cheesy, creamy rice!


This past weekend I made a batch of Flourless Chocolate Chip Zucchini Banana Muffins. Since they are flourless, they are naturally GF. I didn't have almond flour so used peanut butter instead and they came out great.  If I made these again, I would use my food processor instead of a blender, though, as the batter is quite thick before you add in the banana and zucchini so it was a lot of work to get it out of my blender!


On Saturday night, we hosted my Julia Child aunt and uncle for a recipe testing night as Julia Child is just over a month away (we are having it early this year). This year, Julia Child is going to Southeast Asia. I wanted to make a salad or side that would use up some zucchini so I googled Asian zucchini salad, and found this recipe. We liked it so much that we decided to use it for the salad course for Julia Child Night! It's a really light, bright, delicious salad.


I've also made Gluten-Free Zucchini Coffee Cake and Zucchini Casserole (this uses 4 cups of zucchini so is a great recipe if you have lots of zucchini to use up!), but I don't have pictures of either. I've made the coffee cake recipe many times (it's soooo good!) and will make the casserole dish again.

Do you like zucchini? Do you have any favorite recipes to share?

10 comments:

Gracie said...

Have you tried spiralzing it? I have a super cheap, hand-held spiralizer to make zucchini
"noodles", and they're better than they sound. Obviously it's not spaghetti, but the overall impression - texture, mouthfeel, presentation - is very satisfyingly pasta-like. You should try it as a gluten-free option!

Charbelle said...

I love zucchini boats!!! Our yield from the garden was actually disappointing so I did not get to try any recipes, hopefully, next year! I love zucchini noodles too and the meatball idea sounds fantastic!!! I'm excited to see the Julia Child night, I think that is an awesome idea!!! So glad you were able to enjoy the weekend!!!

Marlys said...

I am glad you followed my advice and only put in one zucchini plant! They mass produce like crazy! All the recipes look great and I can attest to the deliciousness the zucchini casserole you made when you were at the lake! it was very tasty but not heavy.

Stephany said...

I'm not crazy about zucchini, unfortunately. :( I am super particular about my veggies and it's one of the veggies that I've never developed a taste for!

Carolina John said...

That is a lot of fresh garden goodness! so much yum.

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said...

I love zucchini, and those stuffed zucchini boats look amazing! I like it in cake, or small zucchini slices raw (topped with hummus, shredded carrot, and a drop or two of sriracha). We've made zucchini pizza before, with the big round of the zucchini as the "crust". I like it grilled with potatoes or in a roasted veggie salad. I'll eat zucchini any way!

The Julia Child test recipes - mmmmmmmm!!!! And homemade kimchi!? YES YES YES!

You can teleport us there for JC night any time!

Alli said...

I love zucchini! Growing up my mom made broiled zucchini as a side dish all the time because we loved it. She always put lots of oregano on it so I always associate the two and if I make zucchini as a side dish I always have it with oregano too. I just made baked shrimp with feta which uses two large zucchini and is one of our favorite summertime dishes. At this time of year I also like to get zucchini, eggplant, peppers, onions, and anything else that looks good; slice them up and roast or grill (because I can do that now!). Then during the week for dinners I'll make roasted veggie wraps which I personally like with a little smoked mozzarella and balsamic vinaigrette. Oh and we do zoodles with sauteed fresh veggies and creme fraiche. I've never actually had zucchini bread or muffins, but I don't think I have ever tried a zucchini dish I didn't like.

Amber said...

My zucchini plant is doing amazing as well! I think I've already picked 4 or 5 and there are many more producing. So far I've mostly used them in muffins - LOVE zucchini muffins - or the zucchini boats. That salad recipe looks amazing though so I'm going to try it!

San said...

Zucchinis are on of my favorite vegetables, but I never got them to produce (but one!) fruit when I planted them in a pot. Maybe the pot was too small? Anyways, that is awesome that you got so many zucchinis from your plant!

Jeanie said...

I tried to talk Rick into planting zucchini and he said, "Do you know how many those things give you off even one?!" They'd be rotting on the vine now! But yours look terrific! Time to grate it and freeze for Thanksgiving bread!