Friday, April 26, 2019

TGIF

The book I'm reading is Bad Blood: Secrets and Lies in a Silicon Valley Startup. Omg, this book is maddening. I know how the story ends - the technology that Theranos was selling (a blood monitoring device that only needed a drop of blood) was a complete lie. Early in the book you find out that this unproven/untested device was put in the hands of cancer patients. What the? No decisions were made based on the data from the device, but still. As a patient I would be livid if I found out I was required to use a device that was complete BS. Why is our healthcare system so messed up???

The high of my week was hitting my weight loss goal. I've been tracking what I eat and trying to move a bit more for about 2 months and the combination of these two focuses resulted in meeting my weight loss goal (10 pounds). This goal was about more than seeing a certain number on the scale. It was about getting back to a place where I was happy with how I felt, how my clothes fit and what I saw when I looked in the mirror.

The low of my week was seeing Paul in pain from teething. My God, these molars are horrible! He will scream in pain at times. I can't wait for him to have all of his teeth!

A recipe I made was Instant Pot Wild Rice Soup. It's not really soup weather but Phil has been asking for this recipe for awhile so I made it this week. We skip the mushrooms (Boo! Phil hates mushrooms) and add 2 chicken breasts. They easily shred when the soup is done cooking.

The best money spent was on a new pair of Mizuno running shoes. The pair I've been wearing have  holes in them so it was definitely time for a new pair! Hopefully I'll log some running miles on the new pair as my old pair was mainly used for walking! I love going for walks but really miss running so hopefully I can add in 1-2 runs/week now that the weather is nicer!

A podcast I listened to was Dr. Death. This podcast is SO DISTURBING. It's about a neurosurgeon who botched so many back surgeries. People died or were paralyzed as a result. It's jaw-dropping to listen to this and hear how he continued to do surgery after surgery after it was clear that he was incompetent and was hurting people. I repeat my mantra from my thoughts about Bad Blood and their phony device: Our healthcare system is SO MESSED UP.

For workouts I went for lots of walks and did some running intervals during some of the runs. I decided to put my Daily Burn membership on hold as I'd rather spend time outdoors walking or running versus working out in our basement.

My plans this weekend include lots of adulting tonight (groceries, cleaning, laundry, etc) as we are leaving for the lake tomorrow morning after swimming lessons. My nephew has First Communion on Sunday morning, so we'll head to my sister's town on Sunday morning for mass + a celebratory meal. My grandma is going to be there so I am excited to see her. I haven't seen her since July. It will be a whirlwind trip as we'll drive back on Sunday afternoon. But it will be nice to get some family time in!

Bonus Paul Pics


Playing with one of his new Easter books.

We are all happiest when we are outside!

Feed me, mama!






7 comments:

The Many Thoughts of a Reader said...

Have a fun weekend!

Stephany said...

Dr. Death was maddening! I can't believe the stuff he got away with, and it's just so sad to hear about the patients he hurt - or killed. Between that podcast and what happened with my grandpa, I am really suspicious of everything in the healthcare industry now. You just trust these people with your LIFE or the lives of your loved ones, and they have the potential to do major destruction. It's crazy.

Have a fun weekend with your family! <3

Gracie said...

Oh, man, Dr. Death. Such an insane story! One of the best podcasts I've listened to in a while.

Jeanie said...

Bravo on your goal! I hope your time at the lake is just terrific. Love those Paul pix!

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said...

Great job hitting your weight loss goal!!

Poor Paul :-( I would have a hard time seeing any little one in pain, so I can't imagine how hard it is when it's your own child.

Just to reply to your comment on my post, we totally came home to snow!!! It's gone now, but I was not happy with that. While we were away it was +23 and people were having picnics here, and then as soon as we come home it snows for two days in a row.

Amber said...

Makes sense to put your daily burn membership on hold right now! I am really only doing my 20 minute at home workouts right now and then I do 1-2 fitness blender or 21 day fix workouts a week for strength training. I agree I'd way rather be outside!! That podcast sounds soooo disturbing!

San said...

The wild rice soup looks delicious. And yay for new running shoes! :)