Monday, July 22, 2019

Currently: July 2019

There are less than 10 days left in July. Where has this month gone? Time flies when you are having fun, I guess! Here's what's currently going on with us!

Reading: Searching for Sylvie Lee by Jean Kwok. This is the 3rd novel I've read by this author this summer. I really like her writing style. Plus her background of being an immigrant to the US from China and living in poverty in NYC has given her a lot personal material to draw upon. This book has a bit of a mystery to it. The oldest daughter, Sylvie, goes to the Netherlands to visit the extended family that raised her for the first 7 years of her life (her family couldn't afford to care for her when they first immigrated to NYC). But then she goes missing so the younger sister travels to the Netherlands to find her sister.

Loving: the cooler evening temps we've had the last couple of nights. After many days of running the air conditioner, it was cool enough to sleep with the windows open the last several nights. I love summer but it's been super humid here lately. The picture below was taken after a short walk with Paul after work last week. I was DRIPPING with sweat!



Feeling: like I've found a good balance of making plans and leaving our schedule open. I was a serial over-committer before I had Paul but having a child has really forced me to think before saying yes and to not over-commit. I thought this would be a harder transition for me than it has been but I find that I am loving the quieter schedule and don't feel guilty saying no to things because a no to plans is a yes to family time which I am really prioritizing.

Anticipating: our 5-day trip to the lake in August. I can't wait for some low-key time away. This will be my longest trip to the lake in years and the longest time Phil has been at the lake ever. Our trips there are usually super short so I'm looking forward to having more time to relax and enjoy time in my happy place! I think we'll have lots of grilled meals and spend lots of time outside. I know my mom and dad are super excited to get extra time with Paul, too.

Grateful: that we have air conditioning! Sleeping would be pretty miserable if we didn't have air conditioning. As I've said before, we don't love a/c but when it's about 80 degrees during the day and doesn't cool off at night, a/c is necessary for us!

Working: on some organizational projects around the house. I went through our cupboards and gathered some things I wanted to sell on Facebook. If they don't sell, we'll donate them to good will. I also organized Paul's clothes over the weekend. Next up I want to go through the piles of baby stuff in the basement and figure out what we can get rid of/what we should hold onto if/when we have a 2nd child.

Listening: to allll the podcasts as usual. A couple of new-to-me ones I've listened to lately are How to MoneyWhat Fresh Hell (parenting podcast) and Didn't I Just Feed You (podcast about cooking/meal planning for a family).

Watching: new episodes of Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee on Netflix. Phil and I both love Jerry Seinfeld so we were excited when new episodes of his show dropped. As the title implies, he drives in some sort of fancy or unique car to pick up a comedian and then they go get coffee. It's fun to watch his interactions with other comedians.

Wishing: for a really long summer. Our winters are so long so I really hope the warm, sunny weather sticks around until September or even October!!!

Bonus Paul pics!

Riding on daddy's shoulders for the first time. He loved it!

Must you always take my picture?

First time at Target - he loved it!

What's new with you? What are you currently anticipating and loving?

11 comments:

The Many Thoughts of a Reader said...

Anthony and I went up north for the weekend, just the two of us, to two of our favorite spots. It was a nice relaxing time. We spent a good 4 hours at the beach on Friday afternoon. Ate great food and I did a lot of reading. We are gearing up for a 5 day trip soon with some long time friends. I am currently hiding from my to do list! :) I also was having a holy crap moment when I realized I am 30 weeks pregnant and there are so many things to do.

Marlys said...

Well, Paul seems to enjoy shopping more than you did! LOL!
We had a fun weekend with my sister & BIL staying with us, attending a 5-class HS reunion and visiting old classmates - one whom I haven't seen since we graduated! Then on our way home, sw hit a deer and smashed the front end of the car, so this is only the 5th time we have had front end damage to this car - 3 this year alone! I think it's got a curse of some kind on it.
But no one was injured so thankful for that!
Can't wait to spend some time at the lake in August with all of you!

Carolina John said...

this heat is killing me. Yesterday I sweat walking to the shed and back from the front door. Literally, it only took 15 steps outside to sweat through a shirt! The heat & humidity is really bad this year in NC, yet another reason to be glad you don't still live in Charlotte.

Gracie said...

David LOVES that Seinfeld show! He's big into classic cars, too, and also a fan of stand-up comedy, so it's perfect for him.

Stephany said...

Ugh, Paul in the Target cart just kills me. Such a little boy!

I'm glad you feel like you've finally managed to figure out how to balance being social and staying in. I think that can be such a hard balance to maintain (I'm struggling with it right now!) because we just want to say yes to everything and please people!

I'm currently anticipating my mental health day this week (SO needed) and loving my new budget. It has helped me feel so much more confident about my finances!

Lindsay C said...

I am LOVING Starbucks iced coffee's without ice and asking for a small cup of ice on the side (extra goodness without the extra price). I am also LOVING Air Conditioning. I don't sleep well when I am not cold at night! :(

I am anticipating September when my best friend from home (IL) is having her baby shower and I am going to have my first long weekend away since starting a new job and moving to MN.

Charbelle said...

When we were at the beach the temps even in the early mornings were around 80. Saturday morning I was out by 5:45 to start my run. We are experiencing a bit of a break from the super high temps. I really don't mind them but they make for a fire hazard because it dries everything out so much. I'm excited for your lake trip, that will be awesome!!!

katielookingforward said...

I listen to comedians in cars while I'm working. Its such a great show! I'm glad you're getting 5 full days at the lake, I think that will be a great break!

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said...

We watch that show sometimes too :-)

Five days at the lake will be awesome!! We are going on our longest camping trip together soon - 7 nights to Clear Lake, Manitoba. We'll be there with a bunch of friends and their kids, which will be really nice.

I would not do well without air conditioning. We keep our house quite cold. Actually, people always comment on how cold our house is, but we're used to it, so we don't really notice. I'd say the average temperature in our house is around 19 C (66 F).

Amber said...

As I was reading this I was like "Oh I should do a Currently in July" post and then realized tomorrow is August 1!! Haha. Might still do it. Nothing like coming in under the wire haha.

So good you guys have A/C with temps like that!

5 days at the lake will be so great! I'm excited for you!

San said...

Man, I am a broken record, but 5 days at the lake just sound awesome... I'd love to do something like this sometime.

AC is a lifesaver, wouldn't know what to do without it.