Monday, August 26, 2019

A Mostly Unplanned Weekend

It's hard to believe next weekend is Labor Day weekend, which feels like the unofficial end to summer! I'm hoping we still have lots of nice summer weather ahead of us. Here's how we filled this past weekend, which was mostly unplanned!

On Friday, I went for a quick walk with Paul to run errands (library, liquor store, grocery store). I love that I can run so many errands on foot in our neighborhood. He must have been hungry at the grocery store as he started to eat his eat. Ha.


When we got home, he played while I worked in the kitchen. At one point he brought his little cat toy over to Oscar. She was not impressed, though! When we read a book about animals, when we get to the cat page he always wants to show Oscar the cat picture. I really hope Oscar loves him back some day. It's a one-sided relationship right now.


After Paul went to bed, I made a new gnocchi dish that we felt kind of meh about. I failed to take any pictures of the recipes I made this weekend so have nothing to show for my effort!

Saturday morning started bright and early, as they always do. After breakfast, we did some reading before heading out on our play date.


We headed out around 8:30 for our play date with my friend and her son who is 3 days older than Paul. We met up at a cafe called Rose Street Patisserie. It was a beautiful morning so we enjoyed our coffee and treats on their patio. Even though Paul had 2 scrambled eggs and a banana muffin for breakfast, he ate about half of a giant piece of banana chocolate chip bread. I enjoyed a latte and a GF fudge cookie. Not exactly a breakfast food but it was that or macarons and I wasn't in the mood for macarons at 9 am!

When the boys started to get squirmy, we headed to a park that is a couple of blocks away. The boys ended up playing here for 1.5 hours! Paul's favorite thing was going down the slides. He goes down slides on his stomach.


It was getting close to lunch time so we headed out and made a pit stop at Wild Rumpus as my friend wanted to get some books for her little guy. Paul enjoyed carrying around this basket of books! We managed to get out of the store without buying anything, but I bought 5 books the last time we were there so figured I have spent enough money there recently!


Paul napped when we got home and I worked on meal prep tasks as Phil had grocery shopped during the play date. We took a family walk later in the day and then I made Stuffed Eggplant for dinner. We liked this WAY MORE than the eggplant parmesan I made recently so I think this is how we will primary eat the eggplant from the garden.

Sunday was unplanned but the day went by pretty fast! There was lots of playing, reading and time spent outdoors.

This xylophone is out of tune (it actually is - I hate that the upper notes are off key!)

He loves this lift-the-flap book. We read it multiple times/day.

My ray of sunshine!

Working on some puzzles

He takes biking very seriously
I hope the warm weather sticks around for several more months so we can fill our fall weekends with lots of time outdoors!

How was your weekend?

10 comments:

Marlys said...

That is sad that the xylophone is out of tune! They don't make them like they used to! I think our old one is still in tune.
We had a pretty quiet weekend, too, and with the drizzly rain all day Sunday, it really made for a quiet day, which was fine with me!
But, as regards the weather, it is feeling way to fallish for me, and the crops are way behind this year, so if we don't get some warm weather it's not going to be good for the farm economy, which we are so dependent on here.
Thinking about Labor Day makes me so sad as we will start to pack away the lake toys, boat etc, which is so melancholy for me. Summer was way too short this year!
Sounds like Paul had a fun weekend for sure!

katielookingforward said...

I love the Iowa girl eats zucchini gnocchi recipe. I have made lots of different versions of it based on what I have on hand. I do highly recommend the cauliflower gnocchi from trader joes.

Jeanie said...

Your life looks lovely and fulfilling. Does Oscar have claws? If not, maybe they can get some touch time. I hope so.

My weekend? The last day of art camp, a great dinner out and Cork Poppers back home yesterday. Life is good!

Stephany said...

LOL. Oscar's face in that photo. I hope they become best friends in due time! I imagine Lila would be exactly the same as Oscar. Ellie might be willing to give him more love - she's the more social one!

My weekend was book club, a short trip to Orlando, reconnecting with a dear friend, seeing BSB in concert (!!), and a really long nap on Sunday. A perfect weekend!

Carolina John said...

So many Paul pics! So much fun. Have a great labor day weekend!

I'm looking forward to the Clemson football game starting Thursday night, and the full slate of college games on Saturday. That's one of my favorite days of the year and the start of fall. bring it on.

Gracie said...

Paul looks like he's at such a fun age to do activities with! This weekend we had a lot of plans, but three cancelled last minute - which was fine; I did some art and chores instead. We did do our fantasy football draft, though, and I got Yahoo's approval for best draft! Let's see if I can manage not to lose in spite of myself!

Amber said...

Such a fun weekend! I will definitely check out that stuffed eggplant recipe as I recently had an eggplant I didn't use up as I couldn't figure out what to do with it. I ordered eggplant parmesan when I was away for work last week and it was SO GOOD so now I want to eat it more often.

The picture of Paul in Wild Rumpus with his books is my favourite! Sooo cute!! I am guessing he is not a big fan of shoes?? Lol

Unknown said...

Let's not talk about how fast summer went. I'm hoping we have a nice September (aka our fall is so short here). Looks like you guys had a fun weekend!

San said...

I have a similar gnocchi dish on the meal plan this week. What did you not like about it? I love gnocchis and have made a variety of dishes lately.

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said...

The stuffed eggplant sounds good! That's too bad the gnocchi wasn't great.

Paul is so adorable; I love all the pictures of him!

It's been drizzling for days outside, but I haven't minded too much, as it's felt kind of cozy. I'm just happy it's rain, and not ... you know what. Monday is supposed to be back to summer temps., so that will be really nice.

My weekend was fun!! We saw a bunch of friends and their kids, and also had some family time.