Monday, September 14, 2020

Weekend Highlights

Happy Monday! Who is ready for a 5-day work week? I've got a ton of meetings today, including a 4-hour block starting at 12:30. Bleh. While I like working from home, I feel like I have WAAAAY more meetings, which I don't love... but so it goes! Here are some of the highlights from our weekend!

- Cleaning out my garden. I don't have any pictures of this project because it's depressing to take a picture of a dying garden or an empty plot! I accomplished this on Friday afternoon before the rain set it. It felt good to get this task done as it's my least favorite fall task. I have decided that this will be my last year of participating in the fall garden. It's been increasingly hard to get over there as often as I'd like (it's about a mile away) and it will only get harder w/ a 2nd baby coming in December! I also think I spend more between renting the plot for $50 and buying all the seeds/plants. So next year I will support local farmer's markets instead. I wish our yard had room for a garden, but our backyard is on a steep hill, so it's just not possible to have a garden until I build something into a hill and we don't feel like doing that. 

- Baking with Pablo. On Friday night, I told Pablo we'd make muffins together on Saturday morning. When I went in to get him up on Saturday morning, the first thing he said was "make muffins mommy?" So clearly he loves baking! A friend had given me a bunch of kale last weekend, so used some of it to make Kale-Banana Toddler Muffins, a recipe that was recommended by a friend. I was skeptical about whether Paul would eat them, but he gobbled one up when they had cooled off! He actually ate 1.5 that day but hasn't been interested in them since. Typical toddler! Phil would tell you that they taste better than they smell. ;) Since Paul loves helping in the kitchen so much, I'm going to try to incorporate him into more meal prep!





- Video chats. We had our weekly Saturday morning chat with my mom and dad but also got to talk to my niece Anna and her mom on Saturday morning as it was Anna's 9th birthday. Pablo was very shy on that video call but it was fun to "see" them! I definitely miss seeing family but video chats definitely help as I far prefer them to phone calls!

- Block Party. Our block had the annual block party on Saturday night. It was different than usual - no sharing of food, no shaking hands, everyone kept their distance. But it was really nice to meet some of our neighbors. We moved in back in November when cold weather had already hit and then covid hit so we really hadn't met many neighbors. Our block has a Facebook group so we've gotten to know people through there but nothing can replace talking in person. Paul had fun playing with the little girl across the street who is just 3 months older than him and he enjoyed his first root beer float, which this same family generously shared with us.


- Coffee with girlfriends. On Sunday afternoon, I met up with 2 girlfriends in a friend's back yard for coffee and some treats from a local bakery. It was a beautiful afternoon and I had a great time catching up with them. We chatted for about 2 hours and then I had to head home since my MIL came over post-nap. We talked about how we are going to fill our winters/stay sane.

- Dinner with Joan. My MIL came over post-nap on Sunday since it was a beautiful day. We pretty much only see her when it's nice enough to all be outdoors. I made Greek Turkey burgers, roasted potatoes and corn on the cob. Paul let her read some books to him, which made her day!


How was your weekend? Has fall weather hit where you live? I'm personally loving the drop in humidity! It's going to mostly be in the 70s this week which I'm very much looking forward to!

9 comments:

Grateful Kae said...

My weekend felt busy and not much downtime. It was good, just busy. We did get to celebrate my Mom's 70th birthday though on Saturday night, so that was really nice. Sounds like you had a good one!! Those baking pictures are just so sweet. I'm impressed that he stays tuned into for that long. I feel like my kids just made messes in the kitchen when the "helped". They're better now, and they like baking from time to time. Baking is definitely easier with kids than cooking... I still get nervous with them using knives. Though I know they need to learn and I'd really love for them to become more independent with some real cooking. My son is a pro with the Easy Mac though. hahahaha.

Marie-Christine said...

Fall has really arrived in Quebec! It’s like 8 degrees Celsius outside during the day! We often have snow at the end of September so I am used to it but I still miss summer! 😉
I’m not working from home anymore and I’m really sad! This 5 day week seems so long...

Kyria @ Travel Spot said...

That is so cute that Paul likes to help you cook! I remember helping my mom make banana bread when I was a kid and it stuck with me, so I think you are on the right track! We had an old beat up Joy of Cooking and after banana bread, I used to tackle all sorts of other things (without my Mom). It's good to get him started early. Chef Paul!

Last weekend I did some meal planning and prepping for a hike, as I was going to go to the Sierras this coming week for a little bit of solitude, camping and hiking. However, Mother Nature seems to have different plans for me, as they shut down all of the national forests in CA and there is a fire right near where I was planning to go. Sigh!! It's like we are being foiled at every turn these days. But at least now I have a bunch of homemade dehydrated meals in case the Apocalypse hits.

Jeanie said...

I'm up north and today is supposed to be warmish (70s) and tonight down to 30s! I'm here quarantining from Rick (actually, he is quarantining from me, but he needed to be home) and I'm not sure the fireplace will do it. I can always leave but we'll see. I'll go home on Monday.

It was a good weekend. I got more tomato sauce made and a coffee cake, a lot dug up in the garden (not nearly enough) and some cleaning done at home. Productive, if nothing else!

Stephany said...

I'm glad the humidity has dropped for you! I know it's been so miserable, which is so unfair when you guys already have to deal with difficult winters! We're definitely still in summer here in Florida but that's normal for us - maybe we'll get a reprieve in November? Ha.

Your weekend looks fantastically busy and I'm sure it was so nice to enjoy some girlfriend time and baking time with Paul! Those pictures are so cute!!

San said...

OMG, I love working from home, but YES, how are there SO MANY more meetings than ever before? LOL

I am glad you got to get some social time with people. We're still pretty isolated and I do wish we could hang out, but then again, I am still extra cautious and am not the one reaching out right now.

The Many Thoughts of a Reader said...

Two weekends ago we dealt with our tomatoes and canned a bunch.Last weekend we picked all of our apples and made apple cider and an apple crisp. Anthony made another apple crisp last night with the girls and will make another on Sunday. We also picked our peaches last week and froze a bunch/ ate some. And he and Isla had made one a couple weeks ago. This weekend they have to take care of the grapes and make jelly and grape juice. Last night we picked all the rest of the hot peppers/zucchini/tomatoes because it was getting down to 39 last night. I am farmered out ha.

Gracie said...

What a nice treat to have a block party! Our neighborhood is very close and friendly, and I love that, but we haven't had a block party. Maybe we should. I feel inspired!

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said...

Awwwe, he's a little baker! So cute! It is really starting to feel like fall here, and has been cool/drizzling all weekend. There are a lot of leaves on the ground too. I am liking walking around the lake with all the fall colours and smells.