Tuesday, January 11, 2022

A Whirlwind Couple of Days

 Hey hey! I feel like a lot has happened since I posted on Friday, but mostly all good things. Last I left off, I had an ENT appointment on Friday morning for Will. At that appointment, they started with a hearing test, which is standard protocol for ENT assessments. They have the baby sit on your lap in the hearing test room so I could see what he could and couldn't hear. So I was not at all surprised to find he had mild to moderate hearing loss and the audiologist could tell his ears were full of fluid. We had a feeling he wasn't hearing very well but that was clearly confirmed. 

Next up, we saw the ENT. She looked in his ears and said he still had a horrible ear infections. So the 6 days of antibiotics did nothing besides mess with his tummy. :( She prescribed a new antibiotic and said he's a textbook case for needing tubes. You need 3 infections in 6 months, and he had 3 infections in 7 weeks! She said a scheduler would call me that day and that we might be able to get in really fast as there have been a lot of cancellations from patients testing positive for covid at their pre-op covid test. 

The scheduler called me at noon and had said we couldn't get in until 1/24 (which felt SO FAR OFF) but in the middle of our conversation she let me know that another scheduler told her there was a covid-related cancellation for Monday and that she'd look into it and call me back. I was ELATED! Within 15 minutes, she called back and said we could have that appointment for the first surgery of the day on Monday at our preferred hospital (I told them we would go to any of the 3 hospital they operate at). But I needed to get him tested for covid and get a pre-op physical that day. They have a slick set-up for covid tests at the Children's hospital so that was easy to schedule - it's in their parking garage and they come to your car for the test and would expedite his test since he had surgery Monday morning. But poor Will - it was his 3rd covid test that week and boy does he hate the nasal swabs! I was luckily able to get a pre-op physical set for that day at 4:40. I had tried contacting our pediatrician through mychart to see if one of his recent visits could count for a pre-op but I knew my chances of hearing back might be slim as she's super busy. She'll often get back to us within 24 hours, but I didn't want to count on her getting back to me on a Friday afternoon, which is a day that I know she's booked solid in clinic. 

Besides dealing with all the surgery stuff, we had people in our house on Friday converting our fireplace to gas. They were done early afternoon and this baby has been going A LOT since as it's been super cold here. I snapped a picture after they left but before I could get the mantle decorated again. But you get the idea. I love this fireplace so much and am so glad I convinced Phil to convert it to gas.


We laid low all weekend since we knew Will wasn't feeling well and Paul needed to quarantine due to his covid exposure. Luckily Saturday was pretty mild so we were able to get outside for a walk and some sledding! 
Paul's sledding cheering section

Sledding with daddy
I didn't get a picture of this, but we took Will sledding on a really small hill and he loved it! 

Sunday was bitterly cold so we laid low and worked on puzzles, read books, and tried to stay sane. I'm so over covid and not being able to go anywhere. In non-covid times, I would have taken Paul to an indoor play area or a Children's Museum or something. But even if he wasn't quarantining from the positive case at school, I still wouldn't take him anywhere indoors since he's not a reliable mask wearer and it's not worth the risk of him getting covid and needing to quarantine at home (our daycare hasn't updated their policy to reflect the latest guidance from the CDC so it's at least 7 days at home if he tests positive). 

On Sunday, I made lentil enchiladas for dinner which oddly is the biggest crowd pleaser in our house. As a child, a crowd pleaser was spaghetti. But would you believe that Paul turns up his nose at pasta with meat sauce (which I doctor up with blitzed vegetables) and loves lentil enchiladas? Will loves pretty much anything but he seemed to especially love these enchiladas. 


Monday started bright and early for us as I had to check-in with Will at 6am. He was a total trooper. I thought he'd be super cranky since he hadn't eaten since he nursed at 1am during the night but he was pretty happy. The pre-op nurse said he was the easiest 7:30 tubes baby she's ever had! 


He went into the OR at 7:30, was back in my arms at 8, and we were home by 9! The surgeon said he sucked out tons of thick fluid so clearly surgery was necessary. It is nice to know he's not in pain anymore and can hear properly! We'll get his hearing re-checked at his 4 week post-op appointment, but I'm sure it will be back to normal. We went through the same thing with Paul before he got tubes at 9 months - mild to moderate hearing loss pre-surgery, normal hearing afterwards. 

Will was his happy, active self that day and was cleared to go back to school the next day. 


I was home in time that morning to take Paul for his covid test and I got tested as well since I have ANOTHER cold. Our tests were all negative thank goodness! 

Sleep wasn't exactly awesome last night as Will has gotten used to eating 2-3 times/night. I'll give him a couple of nights of comfort nursing and then it's time to do some sleep training again to get him to sleep through the night as being up multiple times a night isn't good for any of us! The sleep training process is not fun, and I know it's controversial/not for everyone. But we are team "do what it takes to get everyone sleeping through the night." He took to it very well at 7 months so I am sure he'll be back to sleeping through the night pretty quickly (I hope!). 

And there you have it. Doctors appointments, covid tests, surgery. Oh my. It's been a hectic string of days, but I think/hope better days and more sleep are ahead!

How was your weekend? 

8 comments:

Elisabeth said...

A combination of "I'm so sorry" and "I'm so happy for you."
Sorry you have to go through all this, but so, so glad that you got in quickly to get the tubes inserted and I really hope you notice immediate and long-term improvement.
Your fireplace looks so cheery and I think in addition to the warmth, it's just such a nice, mesmerizing addition to a home in the cold of winter. I turned our gas fireplace on this morning and it was just so pleasant to sit in front of it to start the day.

I did sleep training with both our kids. The first time it was actually the doctor who recommended it; it was tough and took a few weeks of trying lots of different things. Second baby was a breeze - basically took to it right away and never regressed. I do think the fact my kids were bottle-fed helped because a soother was a good replacement to receiving a bottle, where nursing has the added snuggle impact that just isn't quite reproducible with a bottle (especially since sometimes my husband would do the middle-of-the-night feedings). It's all about what is best for the overall family to me. One of my friends let her son regress to night feedings when they had to move across the world and said the best thing was to have him sleep and feel content and so didn't even try to do anything when he started rewaking...and then once they were settled the best thing was to get everyone back to full nights, so they started with sleep training. I thought that was so insightful. Net positive or net negative? For me, both times, sleep training was net positive and my kids have been mostly good sleepers every since. Good luck, though - it can be a tough haul! And I'm sure all the extra comfort lately has been 100% necessary for everyone's sanity.

missris said...

I'm so glad he was able to get the surgery so quickly, and fingers crossed that everyone stays healthy from here on out! :-)

Jeanie said...

What a week. But kudos to the hospital scheduler for getting you into that cancellation! And for negative tests. And for a successful surgery. I'm sure it will be much better now -- he might even sleep better now, too. I hope so. You DO need that sleep! Hats off for surviving it all!

Kyria @ Travel Spot said...

Hurray for such a quick surgery! That is awesome! I am so glad you got in so quickly and that Will is happy and healthy and can hear. Now, I am not familiar with this tubes thing at all; is it common for kids to have that or is it something hereditary or due to the cold climate or something (sorry for my ignorance)?

The other thing I know nothing about is the gas conversion! I have a fireplace which I have (crickets) never used! I had to chop wood and feed the fire to heat our house as a kid and I think I have an aversion to it now. I wonder if I should do that or if it's even something people here do, but it would be nice to have a fire without having to do any work first!

katielookingforward said...

Oh I am so glad you were able to get in for the surgery, hooray! And I am so jealous of your fireplace, what a blessing!

Stephany said...

This update makes me so, so, so happy! I am SO GLAD you were not only able to get Will scheduled for surgery, but that there was a cancelation and you got in way sooner than you expected! HOORAY! And hooray for better sleep on the horizon.

Your fireplace looks so cozy! I'm so glad you got that converted right in time for winter (well, during winter, but you know what I mean). That's going to hopefully make this dreary season a bit better for you. <3

Marlys said...

It was so good he could get those tubes so quickly as you all need a break! I hope the bugs stay away and you all get back your rest and energy! .I’ve seen most of the pictures you posted and I so appreciate you sending them so frequently as we don’t get to see the boys too often. I hope going forward that that will improve and I have great hopes it will.

San said...

So thrilled to hear that within a few days you were able to get in and have Will's tube put in. That's amazing. And I really hope he'll be back to normal in no time. Yay! Hope you'll all get a good night's rest now, too ;)

Lentil enchiladas sounds delicious! Do you have a recipe? I have been cooking a lot more with lentils (made a lentil bolognese this week) and am looking for more options to use them!