Friday, February 4, 2022

Finance Friday: A Deeper Dive Into Food Spending

When I posted my 2021 spending summary, I got a couple of questions related to our spending on food/meals/etc. So I thought I'd do a bit of a deeper dive this week to talk about our spending! Like nearly every category of spending, the amount of spending on food can really vary from person to person but I suspect we are on the lower end of the spending range.

Level setting: I doubt I have many newer readers but in case I do, our little family consists of me, my husband Phil, and 2 little kids, ages almost-4 and 1. I would say that Phil eats less than the average male, probably because he is very lean. We weigh about the same, so eat about the same amount of food which I think is probably not typical for a husband/wife pair. Will is a pretty open-minded eater, Paul is very selective, and their appetites vary from day to day and week to week. 

Dining out:

We likely spend less on eating out than the average couple. I was thinking this was more so related to Covid. We haven't eaten inside a restaurant since the start of the pandemic - we have only eaten outdoors since the pandemic started since I am immune compromised. And in Minnesota, the outdoor eating season is super short - probably about 3-4 months. 

I also thought our lower level of spending was related to having young kids with early bedtimes. But after having an exchange with Kae about dining habits, it made me realize that even pre-kids and pre-covid, we didn't eat out all that often. When we were dating, we probably ate out 1-2 times/month? We definitely chose dining out over take-out back in those days since most food tastes better straight out of the kitchen. We mostly frequented local, non-chain places that were reasonably priced - like the Eastern European deli where we'd split a $16 combination plate that included a sausage, cabbage roll, pierogi, and sauerkraut (I could not eat the pierogies since they have gluten but we'd split everything else) or a Taqueria where a 3-taco combo plate was about $9. Pre-covid, book club was hosted in a restaurant once/month and, for the most part, I did not consider the cost of what I ordered and would often get a glass of wine and split dessert. We ate at nicer restaurants so this would probably run me about $50-60ish/meal but since we ate out so infrequently, especially after having kids, it was a worthwhile expense. Post-kids, I made a goal in 2019 to go on a date once/quarter and those tended to be nicer meals. I think quarterly "nicer" meals out are about the right cadence for us so hopefully in the 2nd half of 2022 we can get back to doing that. 

One area of spending that has increased since having kids is take-out, but I still think it's likely lower than the average family. We probably get take-and-bake pizzas about 1-2 times/month but that costs us $27- the boys split a large pizza and I get my own 12" GF pizza, which lasts me 3 meals. Then about every other month, we get Indian take-out which the boys don't eat. I think Will would like it, but we just make something for the kids to eat. If Paul could get on board with Indian food, I'd be more apt to order more things and make it a family meal, but he's not open-minded enough to eat Indian food... yet. Indian take-out usually costs us about $40 with the tip. Additionally, I get a latte about once/week. 

In January, our total spending on take-out, Phil's lunches on week days, and coffees was $155. 

Grocery shopping:

Last week, we spent $42 at Aldi and $58 at Cub, which is our local big box grocer. I do not pay close attention to our grocery spending so I asked Phil if this was a typical week. He said it's about what we spend on groceries each week. Our total grocery spending for January was $500, so his thought that last week was a typical week bears out since we bought groceries 5 times in January.

Last Saturday, besides our staple items that we buy each week, Phil was buying ingredients for lentil enchiladas, Spanish rice and turkey wild rice soup. We had the majority of shelf-stable ingredients for the enchiladas and rice in our pantry, and the turkey for the soup from a turkey breast I made last week so he didn't have to buy much for the meals I planned. We also had planned to get take-and-bake pizzas one night. Usually I plan 3 meals/week but this week I only planned 2 since we got pizza. Our staple items include eggs, milk, yogurt, cottage cheese, fruit, a rotisserie chicken, a container of mixed salad, veggies for my salads, and popcorn. 

Phil does all of our grocery shopping and he will tell you that the biggest way we've saved money over the last several years is by going to Aldi. I really don't know how they charge so little for their products! From my days of working in finance at Target, I know there are "loss leaders" that companies willingly lose money on to get people into the store, but so much of what we purchase at Aldi seems so cheap. Phil stops there first and buys as much as he can from the list we make (we use a shared iPhone note so we can both add items to it). Most of our produce and meat comes from Aldi as well as a bunch of other pantry staples like popcorn, tortilla chips, granola, cereal/granola bars, etc. That means that a majority of the produce/meat we purchase is not organic (some is, like my mixed salad, but much isn't). Phil is naturally very skeptical of things and that includes the importance of buying organic groceries. Insisting we buy only organic produce and meat is not a hill I am willing to die on, so I let him make these decisions. We used to split a local meat share with a friend but it was increasingly more difficult to get to the farmer's market to pick it up when juggling kids and such, and I didn't like that the meat share kind of dictated what we were eating. When we are in a different stage of life where shopping at a farmer's market is easier (nap times have made farmer's market shopping challenging in this stage of life), I'd like to purchase some meat and produce from the farmer's market during the summer months. Maybe this summer will be the year to do that. 

Back to the thrilling topic of shopping! Whatever he can't find at Aldi (which is a number of things - Aldi is not a one-stop place for us), he gets at Cub and/or Target. We go to Target about monthly so most of our other purchases come from Cub.

So with only 3 planned meals, what do we eat at other meals? 

Breakfast: I eat oatmeal with a cut up banana every single day, Paul has a bowl of cheerios and milk every day, Will nurses so I just give him some cheerios or slices of bananas on weekdays. On weekends he eats peanut butter toast, yogurt and fruit. The boys also eat breakfast at school M-F but since we leave for school at 7 and breakfast is at 8:30, they get 2 breakfasts. Phil eats peanut butter toast or a granola bar and sometimes a bowl of cereal on the weekend or when he WFH.  

Lunch: The boys eat at school M-F - and thank God they do! We joke that we wish we were on that meal plan as they eat SO WELL. On weekdays, I eat a salad with rotisserie chicken and various chopped and sometimes roasted veggies nearly daily. Phil buys lunch at work the days he's in the office, which is 4-5 days/week. He spent about $5-8 on lunch so it's pretty inexpensive. He would never pack a lunch because he feels he could not spend less making his own lunch. Pre-covid, I brought my lunch 4 days/week and enjoyed a lunch out once/week, usually a fancy salad that was $12 and worth every penny. On the weekends, Phil often makes eggs so we'll give some to the boys, or we'll have leftovers or easy meals like a can of soup. 

Dinner: All 3 planned meals (enchiladas, soup, pizza) yield several days of leftovers. The lentil enchiladas yielded 4 servings of leftovers, the pizza will yield about 2-3 days of leftovers, and the soup will yield probably 5 additional servings. Will will eat the vegetables from the soup but not much else. Selective Paul won't eat any of the soup. But at least he gobbles up lentil enchiladas (but not the rice - he oddly will not eat rice!). So on the nights when we aren't eating a meal I made, the adults mostly get by with leftovers. The boys sometimes eat leftovers, but also eat simple meals like banana pancakes topped with peanut butter (banana pancakes are made with overly ripe bananas, 2 eggs/banana, and a dash of cinnamon and vanilla), mac and cheese, cauliflower tots, and dino chicken. Clearly our kids eat processed foods. This is another hill I am not willing to die on at this stage of life. I hope they become better eaters with time so we are all eating the same thing every day of the week because the meals I make for Phil and me are not processed foods. We are not there yet, though. 

I am lucky that a) we are happy to eat leftovers and b) I don't mind eating the same thing every weekday for breakfast/lunch! It makes things far simpler to not have to plan 5+ dinners, different lunches/breakfasts, etc. Most weeks, us adults eat 3 meals that are usually pretty healthy (pizza isn't but you can't always eat healthily). I would like the kids to eat more vegetables but that is an uphill battle right now. I hope this changes as they become older and more rational. So far, Will is a pretty open-minded eater but I know that can change because children are fickle! 

**

Wow, that was a lot of detail about how we eat.  Are you bored out of your mind? I think inside looks at these quotidian aspects of life are fascinating, but I may be in the minority.

Please enlighten me and tell me how you/your family eats? How many meals do you plan/prepare each week? Do you eat the same things over and over like me or do you need variety in your diet? Do you think you spend more or less on dining out and groceries?

12 comments:

Elisabeth said...

Lisa - we are SO MUCH ALIKE it's crazy (and I, for the record, adore these sorts of posts).

I love eating leftovers, I honestly enjoy (and find it cheaper + easier on my head) eating the same meals regularly, and we love being frugal with our grocery shopping.

That said, we definitely spend more than $500/month at this point. I thought we were unusual for being around the $700-750/month, but at this point the kids do eat all meals from home (pack lunches for school), and we did spend less when the kids were in preschool/younger and not eating as much.

I don't buy organic and am largely okay with that. We have A LOT of farms/greenhouses locally, so most of the produce is actually coming from within the province, so I don't get too worried about the organic bit (and I once got a bit of behind-the-scenes info on how some of the organic labeling goes and I lost A LOT of faith that things labeled as organic are actually organic)!

This is fun. And kudos for being so economical with food spending while still eating well. It's fun and a great way to save money (which just comes naturally to some people I think). I really do wish we had an Aldi. I spend more to shop locally in our town, but think I likely save by buying less, having very little food waste, and not having to spend money on gas to get to the bigger supermarkets 10 minutes away. I go 2-3 times/week and love this rhythm...

NGS said...

There are only two of us and we spend about $700-$750 a month on groceries. We do not eat out at all because my husband has celiac and is super sensitive to cross contamination. We generally make three dinners a week because our meals can get us 2-3 nights each, and we have the same thing for breakfast and lunch every day. I think you're quite frugal!!

Kyria @ Travel Spot said...

I love this post. In fact, I love it so much I may come out of hibernation and post one myself. I am very similar to you, except I don't have a Phil to do the shopping! I laughed when you said that he goes to two stores to try to get the cheaper stuff. Once again, proof that he and I are kindred spirits in certain aspects.

Normally, I would grocery shop once a week or every two weeks for perishables and then go once a month or every two months for non-perishables. In a normal year (no pandemic) that would run me about $275 per month. I don't really splurge that much on most things; like you I just get the cheapest meat and a lot of generic brands etc. (it does not have to be organic) but I do spend a lot on specialty food for camping and hiking. For example, last year I tried out some different dehydrated foods, protein powders and healthier bars and snacks. My other weakness is Costco; why buy one pound of flour when you can buy twenty! I have a lot of items that will last me for a long while.

This brings me to my last point. If we had an apocalypse I could survive for at least three months, maybe even six if I rationed the dried beans. When everyone was storming Costco in Mar 2020, I sat back and laughed. So in December last year, and kind of rolling over into Jan and Feb (and beyond), I decided to try to just do one or two perishable shopping trips (this is usually about $25-$30) a month and try to use up my non-perishables. (Now see, I already wrote a book and I haven't even talked about meals or eating out yet!)

Stephany said...

We are VERY different in our food spending and I think that's what makes posts like these so interesting to me! It's so fascinating to discover how other people go about feeding themselves and their family, and what their spending habits are like.

We have an Aldi around here, but I usually stick to Publix because it's >5 minutes from me and I'm familiar with it. Every now and then, I'll shop at Trader Joe's, but that's a 20-25 minute drive and I just don't feel like making it on a regular basis!

I spend a loooot more money on food. I've budget $600 per month on just myself and I usually get right around there. I usually spend around $75 a week on groceries and then will order Ubereats a few times a week, which can run me anywhere from $20 to $50.

NYorker said...

We’re a family of four with 2 boys with similar ages as yours (5, 2). They have huge appetites and eat VERY well and also enjoy a variety of foods. Thankfully they’re great fruits and veggie eaters, my oldest more so than the 2yr old) and eat almost everything I cook. With that said I figured out meals that both will eat and cook those meals. Typically I make about 6-7 of the same meals rotating them every other week (I try to cook meals with leftovers for the next night). That means I cook 3-4 meals each week

. My husband and I do get takeout more than we should which certainly adds up especially where we are located in NY (the cost of living is HIGH) including food. For example a fancy salad out can cost easily $15-$20. Also it’s almost impossible to get takeout lunch for $5-$8 here.

Our food shopping is easily double your family’s. We do buy everything organic and have been purchasing meat eggs milk etc from an Amish farm. At least I know those are truly organic and not just labeled organic as I suspect some products are. This was a great post as I suspect those readers who live in higher cost of living areas will also have a higher food budget. I have also purchased and stored away food since the pandemic started which attributes to the higher food budget as well.

Jeanie said...

This is interesting, Lisa. After you wrote this, I went through all my CC and checking account lists and made a list of all expenditures. I thought I had saved so much this year but after I factored in a new car, new hot water heater and new computer (hopefully one-time purchases) I was only $700 to the good! But that said, those things came close to $10,000 so maybe not so bad as I thought! Plus, I didn't factor in stimulus check ($1400) and pretty decent income tax refunds. I want to go back to 2020 and do the same. I expect that will be lots saved and lower expenditures because that was pandemic. No big expenditures, no entertainment or things like massage. Probably a better grid would be 2019. Now I need to find a free pie chart thing so I can track better! This is fun.

dailycandy said...

Nope, this kind of think fascinates me. I am all for simple so I love that your breakfast and lunches dont vary much. I eat a rotation of 2-3 breakfasts (but meal prep so each week is the same thing M-F) and meal prep lunches with things that I dont need to buy much for after shopping my freezer and pantry. I shop at Aldi too first and then get the other items usually at Target (drive up). Does Phil get you GF items there? They have gotten so much more over the years!

TayaRuns said...

This is fascinating to me - I have a husband that is super into the CrossFit way of eating… lots of calories and lots of protein. I don’t eat meat, the kids don’t eat anything we eat, so it’s usually 4 different meals per meal at our house. Joel also eats close to twice what I eat so this is so fascinating to read.

We started doing Aldi this year and it is so cheap! We also started going to Walmart a bit more as well, and they’re pretty comparable to Aldi… but I just love Target, the atmosphere is so much nicer there :)

Grateful Kae said...

Definitely very interesting!! I have not been keeping close track of our meals/ grocery spending recently so I don't have exact current numbers. As we've discussed, we definitely have a way higher number for eating out/ take out type meals than you do. I still feel like we spend a pretty hefty amount on groceries, too though, which always makes me scratch my head a little. LOL! But we still eat a lot at home- my lunches are all from home, and pretty much all breakfasts, and a majority of dinners too. So even with the takeout/ meals out mixed in, we still need plenty of food for home meals. Ivan doesn't eat much at home comparatively though as he doesn't really eat breakfast and generally doesn't pack a lunch. I don't actually know what the heck he eats most days! I think he tends to just grab something...he's like Phil in that he's not a big eater, for a guy, at ALL. I probably out eat him, actually... ha. I need to get back to Aldi. I was really using Aldi a lot pre-covid, and then my grocery shopping timing/ habits changed some and I kind of fell out of the habit. I used to do the same- hit up Aldi first, get everything I could, then go to the other big grocery store. But sometimes I just want to get it done and don't want to deal with an additional stop.

San said...

As you know, these type of posts are HUGELY interesting to me... because we have a fairly high grocery bill (not least because we live in California where everything seems to be EXTRA-expensive) and we're definitely big eaters.
We easily spend $800/month on groceries last year (not counting 2-3x/month take-out) and we definitely cook a lot of meals. I usually plan for 6 meals every week and we usually don't have leftovers (or if so, there's just a little bit for me for next day's lunch).
I doubt that we're cooking such small quantities and that that is the reason for no leftovers. I have no idea how big your pot of soup is, but I have no idea how you can have 5 (!) servings of leftovers (unless you tell me you're cooking in a HUGE pot).
Serving sizes definitely seem to make a huge difference. I don't think we necessarily over-eat hasn't shown on the scale for me yet LOL), but I definitely feel like I am consuming more food than the average person.

What pains me most - having grown up in Germany with an Aldi right around the corner - is that we don't have an Aldi (or Lidl) in Northern California. Everybody raves about their prices and it makes me so jealous that we can't take advantage of that. I have another friend on IG who posts her Aldi grocery hauls and it makes me want to weep in my coffee.

The Many Thoughts of a Reader said...

I love Aldi! We get a lot of stuff from there too. After covid started I accepted spending a little more to get target pick up because it was the easiest pick up option for us to utilize. Today was the first time where target wasn't gonna be able able to handle everything I needed which wasn't a lot so I ran into aldi too. Between the too I spent about 90. Which is usually what I spend a week. Sometimes more or less. It just depends on what target has in fruit and veggie options. I also stock up on stuff via amazon subscribe and save and we buy beef from a farmer. We split a 1/4 cow with my husbands parents. With rising meat prices it works out to a huge savings for us. We also have a costco membership where we get certain items. I typically meal plan for 4 or 5 meals and then my husband usually decides what we are doing on the weekend. He eats leftovers for lunch and so do I but we typically don't do leftovers for dinner unless we reinvent them someway or it's a lasagna. I do make big batches of taco meat/beans/peppers and freeze those so then I just reheat for the next weeks taco dinner.

Amber said...

I’m coming out of blog retirement to comment on this post! So fun and interesting to read. We spend A LOT more than you guys do on food. Food and cooking is a huge hobby of Eric’s so when he isn’t working he often experiments with different recipes and meals. He was going about 60-70% of our grocery shopping before having Aiden and for the last 6 weeks he’s done 95% of it. I think I’ve made 1 or 2 grocery store trips since he was born. Also for the last 6 or so months I’ve really had no desire to cook so if we aren’t eating food Eric cooked, leftovers or super simple meals I wouldn’t even really consider cooking (frozen chicken nuggets or pizza for example) we are often getting takeout. We probably get takeout 1-3 times per week on average. But we will often go two weeks and not get it at all while Eric is working then get it 3-4x in his week off. So it really shifts based on schedules. The cost of groceries is also just a lot more expensive I think. We don’t have an option like Aldi really and at this stage of life we tend to just go for the most convenient grocery store that has curbside pick up or delivery, which is definitely not the cheapest one! We budget $650 per month for groceries and $200 per month for takeout and we almost always hit those numbers! Eventually I hope to get back to better meal planning / saving money on food but for now it’s one of our main splurges.