Friday, July 15, 2022

TGIF

Happy Friday! Thanks for all of the kind and encouraging comments on my goals post! Several of you noted that I hadn't mentioned my promotion. I found out about it during my trip to AZ in February. I knew it was likely coming but it was nice when it came through! I've been with my company for almost 7 years (my anniversary is later this month!) and wasn't sure when/if I would get promoted since I try not to travel if I can avoid it since having kids. I thought that might preclude me from getting promoted but luckily it didn't!

Now onto what is on my mind this week!

The book I'm reading is Take My Hand by Dolen Perkins-Valdez. It's set in Alabama in the 1970s and is about a black public health nurse who administers birth control shots to young patients as a term of their welfare benefits - and it gets worse from there. It's based on a true story and has been a total page turner for me. But it is a very heavy topic. 

The high of my week was going out to dinner with a college friend. 4 of us were supposed to meet up for dinner but 2 had to cancel. But it was still wonderful to see one of my friends and to be out of the house during bedtime! 

The low of my week was nothing in particular really! I mean sleep stuff continues to be a battle, but now that we are keeping Will in his crib until 6, it's not so bad - as long as he doesn't wake up Paul. If Paul is up early, there is no convincing him to go back to bed!

A recipe I made was chicken tikka masala with cauliflower and peas in the Instant Pot. We make this about every 6 weeks since Phil and I both love it!

A show I am watching is David Letterman's new season of My Next Guest Needs No Introduction. So far we've watched 3 and thought they were "just ok." But it's entertaining enough. We finished up Ted Lasso which I loved, although I didn't like the way one of the characters changed from the previous season. Maybe that is real life but he went from being one of my favorite to least favorite character. I made a comment about him after the show ended and Phil commented on how attached I get to tv characters, which is totally true! When Phil does Paul's bedtime, I watch season 2 of Emily in Paris. I don't love the show but I watch it for the Paris vibes/views!

For workouts I ran on Tuesday and this morning and hopefully will fit a run in this weekend. I had early client calls several days this week, so it was harder to fit workouts in this week. But check out this view from my run on Tuesday! It was a gorgeous morning. I'm so lucky that I get to run by water - I can run by a creek or a lakes in our neighborhood!


The best money spent was on my dinner out with my friend! 

My plans this weekend include having a friend over for dinner tonight. We will grill shrimp and pineapple kebabs and will serve them with an Asian rice. On Saturday, Phil is getting our car serviced early in the morning, and then the boys and I will go to the library when it opens at 9 and then to gymnastics. After nap/quiet time, we will meet up with a friend and her kids at a splash pad. On Sunday Will has swimming lessons and Phil will take Paul to his mom's in the afternoon. I'll be home with Will and will probably take him to a wading pool or something like that since it's going to be in the 90s!

Bonus photos:

Coloring at the library last week

Will is finally getting more into swinging!! That look of pure joy on his face is so wonderful!

Our blueberry loving boy. Will doesn't have a lot of words, but he can say cheese! It's funny what kids pick up. 



What was the high of your week?

7 comments:

Suzanne said...

I agree about that Ted Lasso character's arc being unsettling. I don't know that he was my favorite but I thought his arc in the first season was so much better -- and so much more in keeping with the "people are mainly good" kind of theme of the show. Sad. But maybe there will be a shift backward in the next season???

I am going to check out that tikka masala recipe!

NGS said...

I just love Ted Lasso. We watched both seasons when we had Apple TV for free and I'm not sure we'd sign up just to watch another season. Or maybe we would. Who knows?

Your boys are so cute. I love seeing photos of them and what they're up to!

Jenny said...

Hmm, that book sounds interesting! I think I'm the last person in the world who hasn't seen Ted Lasso, but when I heard Camille Herron (my running hero) described as the "Ted Lasso of running" I started to think I should watch it. It would be nice to know what everyone is talking about!
Glad you had such a good week- I love the picture from your run on Tuesday. Your weekend sounds busy and fun! Enjoy your time with the boys.

Nicole said...

I know exactly what you're talking about re: Ted Lasso and yes! Why? Well, it will keep me watching anyway.

I watched a few of those My Next Guests, and they were fine, but I haven't gone back to them so I guess I didn't love them either.

Jeanie said...

Shrimp and pineapple kabobs on rice sound perfect. Not one high this week. But several lows... I'm afraid to say where can we go but up.

Elisabeth said...

That view from running is gorgeous!
To Jenny's comment above: I also haven't watched Ted Lasso, so she's not the only one.

High of the week? Hmm. Staying up until 2:00 am on a dock at the lake watching the full moon and chatting with a friend.

Honestly, it was a rough week. Parenting, work, home stuff - it all felt heavy/frustrating. I'm ready to start fresh this week!!!

Stephany said...

I totally agree with you about the Ted Lasso character. It was so frustrating because he was SO wonderful in season 1. Ugh. I hope he gets redeemed in the next season.