Monday, October 10, 2022

Chicago Trip + Weekend Recap

I'm back from my work trip to Chicago. It was a fast and furious trip. I landed around 8:30 am on Thursday, was in the office by 9:45, and had a presentation to our sales group at 10:15. That was a speedy turnaround for me but the presentation went well. I'm glad it was an informal, conversational update. I had 2 more breakout sessions with sales that day, and started to lose my voice during the 1st breakout. Luckily I brought cough drops. I have a pesky head cold/allergies (not Covid - I've tested myself 4 times in the last week) and with all the client calls I did last week and how much I had to project my voice during my sales presentation, my voice was not happy! After work, I had a happy hour with my boss and some colleagues and then a dinner with 3 other coworkers in the Buck Town area. My boss told me not to take the L to Buck Town, but when I tried to get an uber, it was going to be $70!! And I think Buck town is probably 2-3 miles at most from the loop area of Chicago. Isn't that insane? It was raining but come on! So I paid $3 for a ride on the L which felt very safe. The dinner with colleagues was fine but when they ordered another round of drinks at 9, I bowed out since I had been up since 4:30. Plus my voice was so hoarse so talking was not fun. They all understood that I needed sleep! I really wanted to run along the river/lake on Friday morning but it was 40 and pouring rain. And I could not motivate myself to do a strength training workout as I was just so dang tired from the previous day.


My outfit for Thursday. I got this dress at a local consignment shop for $9!! I like that it has some details along the neckline so I didn't have to wear a necklace.

Friday was another busy day in the office with more client meetings over zoom. The market volatility has made me extra extra busy at work. The reason I came to Chicago was for an in-person client meeting. It was supposed to start at 4, but one person was running behind so we didn't get started until 5! I had to leave at 5:45 to get to the airport but another person was presenting so she took over when I left. There was also a dinner at 7 that I bowed out of as I try not to be gone over the weekend. The clients understood why I couldn't stay when I mentioned I have young kids. My trip home went really smoothly thank goodness. It was the last flight to Minneapolis so I was relieved when we left on time. We actually landed early and I was home by 10:15! 

The weekend was a busy one. My parents were in town for my nephew's football game and a family get together with my mom's siblings, so they stuck around and came over for brunch on Saturday morning. My mom is very crafty so I tasked her with making pillows for our window seat to make it more cozy. She did an awesome job. I gave her total leeway in picking out fabric, etc, as that is not my forte as a left-brained finance person!


We went out to brunch at a restaurant 2 blocks away. The boys did really well - you never know how a meal out with a 4.5 and almost 2 year old will go. Some of my mom's siblings were getting together for lunch at my cousin's house so after breakfast we headed to her house. The boys got to see their older cousin, Matt, and they played with my cousin's kids who are each 6 months older than my boys. They really loved playing with new-to-them toys! I barely got to talk to my aunts and uncles since I was keeping an eye on the kids but it was nice to say hi, give everyone hugs, and introduce them to Will. 


Phil got groceries while we were at my cousin's and then after naptime, he met up with some friends to golf 18 holes. For Father's Day and his birthday, I gave him the gift of time and told him to golf on a weekend so he finally cashed one of those "gifts of time" in. 

After quiet time on Saturday, the boys and I walked/scooted up to the library. They changed our their featured toy area - it's camping themed. Both boys had fun playing with the toys and Paul made a little friend. 

On Sunday morning I ran with my neighbor and then the boys and I headed to the farmer's market and park while Phil worked on some house projects. 

Their weekly donut fix!

Playing on the train. Will looks like a fisherman with his bucket hat and rain jacket.

That afternoon, Phil took Paul out to his mom's as they needed to bring our cat back for a routine vet appointment today (she mostly lives with my MIL these days as my MIL loves her company and Oscar doesn't love kids). Will and I stayed home. After his (short) nap, we went for a walk around the local lake. I ran around the lake that morning, so that means I logged 8 miles of running and walking... my total steps for the day were 27k! But when it's so nice out, I felt I had to take advantage of the weather! 

Beautiful views along the lake which was like glass!

After our long walk, Will and I hung out on the block. He played with his strider bike for a bit and then my neighbor brought over a stroller for him to play with that her kids have outgrown. 


Then it was dinner, bath, and bedtime and I caught half of the first episode of the Great British Baking Show before Phil and Paul got home around 7:30. I did Paul's bedtime and Phil and I watched an episode of season 2 of Only Murders in the Building.

And that was a wrap. It was a BUSY weekend on the tails of a BUSY week. I am hoping work slows down a bit this week, but clients/financial advisors are getting their 3rd quarter statements and nothing did well in the third quarter so I doubt the client calls will slow down... 

How was your weekend? 

8 comments:

Nicole said...

That outfit is gorgeous! The colour! That blue is stunning on you. You look great. What a whirlwind of a trip. Lolololol I would be 100% the same at 9pm. I am a very early bird and am generally in bed by 9.

I want to sit in your window seat and read for hours. How cozy!

27000 steps is a lot of steps! That's awesome. It looks like it was an absolutely beautiful weekend. Hope you can catch your breath a little bit this week.

Elisabeth said...

Love the dress! And you know how I feel about consignment stores and second-hand clothing!! I never wear necklaces (or any jewelry/accessories other than earrings, actually), so also love the neck detail. How convenient :)

I LOVE the window seat cushions and just the whole vibe of that nook. It looks so cozy and inviting.

NGS said...

What a cozy nook that window seat is. I would love an update to know how often it gets used!

We went to a corn maze this weekend and it seemed like such a fun celebration of fall on such a gorgeous day!

Grateful Kae said...

Whew, that's a lot!! Those timelines on the flights + presentations seemed a little tight for my comfort! I'm so glad it actually worked out- haha!

Can't believe that dress was $9! I'm going to make you my personal shopper and go find thrifts like that for me, lol. I don't like shopping- well, I don't like the IDEA of shopping. Once I'm actually out, it's usually not so bad. I mostly hate shopping for pants, which is what I really need right now. But I have such a hard time finding pants that fit me right and are comfortable that I literally dread it sooo much.

Anyway, it's nice you could get home for the rest of the weekend. Looks like it was full and busy as ever, but tons of great fun! I also love that window seat! So cool.

Suzanne said...

Whew! What a whirlwind! So glad your trip went well (although it drives me nuts when people are late for meetings -- an HOUR LATE OMG) (I get that there can be extenuating circumstances, though). And what a lovely weekend! The weather looks perfect.

Stephany said...

What a crazy few days for you! I'm glad the work trip went well (but omg, presenting at 10:15 when your plane landed at 8:30 - that's ROUGH!) and you got home a little bit earlier than expected. That's always a nice surprise!

The weather looks so nice for you guys! I hope it stays that way for a lot while longer (a girl can dream, right?!)

Jeanie said...

Wow. I hope by now you are feeling 100 percent again but that's rough, having to be with clients, present and all that when you aren't feeling well. But it looks like the weekend was a good one, and especially nice to be able to get together with family. It all looks like a terrific time!

San said...

It sounds like a long week and busy weekend, but you planned it out down to the minute and it seemed to have worked out perfectly :) I am glad you were able to take advantage of the glorious fall weather.

Your mom did a great job with the pillows. That looks like a cozy area now :)