Monday, April 3, 2023

Weekend Happenings + LA bound

Happy Monday! I’m LA-bound today. I didn’t space my travel out very well so it probably seems like I’m traveling a lot but I’m still sticking to traveling once/month. I’m coming into this trip feeling pretty fatigued but hopefully some California sunshine will be invigorating. 

Our weekend was, in a word, fine. We got about 10” of wet, heavy snow. I helped with some of the shoveling but Phil did most of it + snowblowing as my right shoulder/upper arm has been bothering me for weeks. I don’t know if it’s RA related or something else? I see my rheumatologist next month but am hoping the pain has improved by then. I ended up having to bump up my next RA med as I’m fighting a few other flares. I am sure the stress I’ve been under recently is not helping.

Work continues to be crazy. Things have calmed down in the market but I am doing so many meetings. I sent this picture of my calendar to a couple of friends to show them how nuts work has been. 

The red meetings are client meetings. I ended up adding 4 client calls to Friday after I took this photo. 

I figure eventually things will have to calm down. This has been the hardest couple of weeks in my career since I’ve worked in this industry. I was in corporate finance during the great financial crisis in 2007-2009 so was pretty removed from the stress of that time. 

This week, I have in person client meetings from Monday when I land through Wednesday and then fly back on Thursday. I am doing some super early morning client calls between 5:30-8 PST with clients on the east coast a couple of mornings. It’s not ideal but it’s necessary given the high demand for client calls. I’m planning to try to stay on CST. But one thing I’m excited about is meeting to colleagues in person for the first time after working with them since 2020!

Phil and I have Friday off since markets are closed for Good Friday. We’ll celebrate Easter at my MIl’s on Saturday. She’s very excited to host us and I am happy to hand the meal planning/prep over to someone else! It’s kind of hard to believe Easter is next weekend. We have so much snow and will likely get more this week so there will not be an outdoor egg hunt!!

How was your weekend? Is it springy where you are? 

12 comments:

Kyria @ Travel Spot said...

Your calendar is intense. It is interesting though that this period for you is more busy than the pandemic crash which was horrible for me, whereas this period is busy but not the worst for me.

Spring HAS sprung here; you are going to love being in CA. The cherry blossoms are blooming, the wildflowers are stunning and everyone's gardens look like something out of Homeowner magazine (with little work due to the rain)! It is great. Also, it was not hot this weekend, but it was about 38-58 degrees and sunny, so it was pleasant, and I think it is supposed to get warmer as the week goes on and top out with 50-70 on Sunday!

Jenny said...

I hope you get to experience some of the CA sunshine- it sounds like you're going to be busy. After all the snow you've had, even seeing sunshine through a window will probably feel good.
I'm glad you have Good Friday off! I know, Easter seems early this year somehow. I hope you have a good week and get some time to relax on the weekend.

Elisabeth said...

Life has been so intense, Lisa, but I really hope that the time away is restorative in it's own way. Some sunshine, and knowing you're getting closer to your trip with Paul.

Also wishing you physical healing. I'm sure all the work and home (the kiddos have been battling lots of stuff) and travel stuff has very real impacts physically, too. Praying the appointment goes smoothly with the rheumatologist but that your pain improves in the interim <3

I am so sorry you keep getting walloped with snow! We had some snow/rain over the weekend, but the ground is all bare now. It has been cold and windy which I really dislike in spring weather, but I know brighter days are ahead. Right now things are very muddy which is a proper nuisance with the kids, but I know I'll blink and it will be beautiful late-spring weather which I love almost as much as fall.

NGS said...

I really can't believe this snow situation. I am SO SORRY that it's still continuing! Fingers crossed that this week will be the end of this crazy nasty weather. Hopefully it will make you enjoy your trip to LA all the more, right?!

Grateful Kae said...

I hope you get your sunshine fix in L.A.!! That sounds nice! But you have been soooo busy! I can't imagine. Maybe it's just my perception, but it seems like your work life has really ramped up so much since I started reading a few years ago! I guess the pandemic played a role there, and you used to WFH during all of it- and didn't you get a promotion in there, too? Anyway, seems like a Very Big Job! I am sure you are crushing everything but I don't blame you for feeling fatigued!

Carolina John said...

We've got spring going here, the azaleas are all in bloom and pollen is everywhere so we're looking forward to some 70* days

53 meetings is a lot, that's a full calendar. I'm currently swimming in the same miserable, bacteria-infested pool with 71 meetings last week (might be an all-time high) and 65 this week. Average is about 60 for me at this company. it drives me insane and I never get anything done.

coco said...

that's a packed calendar, I don't envy you and hope things come down for you soon. hang in there.

Life of a Doctor's Wife said...

Wow, Lisa! You are a busy woman! I hope the trip went well and that you can breathe a little before your next work trip. So glad to hear that you and your husband have Friday off and that you can enjoy an Easter meal YOU don't have to prepare!

Bibliomama said...

Ha ha ha ha ha ha NO. We have a freezing rain event today - I tried to get my reusable grocery bags out of my trunk when I stopped for a few things after work and it was frozen shut!
I have library class schedules that look like that schedule, but are much less intense.

Stephany said...

Snow, still? That's not okay for April! Then again, Florida, like every year, skipped right over spring into summer. We had temps in the 90s today! I am not ready for hot weather already.

I hope your trip this week was a good one and the sunshine was restorative! Hoping your schedule calms down soon. <3

Jeanie said...

Yikes. Your snow. Let it stop!

No snow here but I do have a pond or two in the basement, down from Wednesday's lake, so that's good, but musty and stinky. I'm glad you have today off. Enjoy it -- and Easter. Nice having someone cook!

Anne said...

Oh, my. So much travel - so many meetings - so much stress. I hope that it lightened up a bit over Easter for you and that you were able to spend quality time with your family.