Monday, July 24, 2023

Weekend recap + vacation bound

My week-long vacation starts today! Woo hoo! But first - I am presenting on the national sales call this morning. When you get asked to present, you kind of don’t say no since it doesn’t happen all that often. There are over 200 people on the call, maybe even 300 so it’s kind of a big deal. But I will be dancing a little jig when I sign off… although I fear I will end up working a bit this week because my other coworker starts a 2 week vacation on Wednesday and there is a lot of stuff only her and I know how to do… can’t wait for my new hire to start! 

Here’s how we filled the weekend! 

- On Friday night, we went on a family walk to the creek - which is in a very sad state since we are in a nasty drought again. Womp womp. To be honest, this walk wasn’t great… there was much cajoling required to get someone to scoot back home… but we did see some adolescent ducks on the way home which provided some levity.


- I woke on my own at 6:15 on Saturday which rarely happens! Both boys were still sleeping! Paul woke shortly after and Taco slept until 6:40. It was the calmest morning we’ve had in as long as I can remember. Once Phil was up, I went for a 4 mile run and then the boys and I went to the library and gymnastics while Phil made a Spanish Tortilla for lunch. 

Looking cool in mom’s shades

- Taco did not nap that afternoon (or Sunday). I think he is dropping his nap. Sob. We left him in his crib for an hour as we all needed a break! Then I got him up and we headed to a local wading pool/park to give Phil a break after all his solo parenting last week (he went to the driving range). Taco enjoys water way more this summer! Last year you had to really talk him into going in the water. We had to cut this visit short because it looked like a storm was moving in - and of course, like usual, it missed us. 

He’s happier than he looks. This is my picture-hating kiddo.


Paul enjoyed this ‘treadmill’.

- Sunday was a full day. I ran 4 miles again on Sunday and then the boys and I went to a park bday party while Phil did swim club. Then that afternoon we went to Phil’s HS best friend’s house. They live on a lake and are the best hosts! Plus their little boy is close in age to Taco. When we got home, I had to fold laundry and pack so we can hit the road shortly after my call ends in the morning. 


Birthday cupcakes at the party!

Our friends had this amazing water toy! 

How was your weekend? When you take time off work, can you fully unplug? I almost always check emails so I don’t miss anything super crucial/know what I’m coming back to. And I will definitely need to do that for this vacation since my other coworker is out too. Hopefully I won’t get too sucked into work. 

14 comments:

Kyria @ Travel Spot said...

Good luck on your call today and have a great time on your vacation! I am sure that you are all very excited to get out of the city and have some fun at the lake!

I do not check emails usually when I am away, as (1) I often do not have service and (2) we check each other's emails when a person is on vacation so that they don't have to! Usually there is nothing that my colleagues cannot handle when I am away and it is nice to be able to really check out when we are on vacation, rather than having only one foot out the door. I think that in our industry it is common for people to work while they are on vacation and that is why I always appreciated the mandatory block leave!

Life of a Doctor's Wife said...

Good luck on your call today!!! And I hope that the follow up work required is minimal, so you can really enjoy your vacation.

I am super annoyed at your coworker for taking a vacation at the same time. That either shouldn't be allowed, or there should be someone else to field any issues so you can fully unplug. GRR.

My work is part time and freelance, but when it pops up, I have to do it even if I'm on vacation. My daughter and I are going on a weeklong trip and I already know it is going to overlap with a work project, which sucks but is unavoidable.

I hope you have a really nice vacation!

katielookingforward said...

I hope your call went well! Those situations are always nerve wracking! I'm starting vacation tomorrow (although technically it started on Thursday last week). I had my brother Thursday - Monday and Tuesday am I fly to Jeff's family cottage in Canada. because its international and the cell service isn't the most reliable I have to be fully logged off. But I do work ahead as much as possible so my backup only has to deal with truly urgent items, and not my daily work.

NGS said...

When I'm on vacation, I don't check emails. I also don't check emails on the weekend. I'm not indispensable and if I am, I don't want that job. LOL.

I'm getting nervous about what looks like a heatwave approaching us. I hope you're still able to get those boys outside when it gets hot!

Jeanie said...

This looks like a good weekend and really fun times with the kids. I'm so glad you get to present (very cool) and vacation. I could never really unplug on vacation. There was always something. But I got as close as I could. About the only time I did was when I was in Europe and really couldn't!

coco said...

hope the call went well and you enjoy some well deserved vacation!
I love quiet mornings at home when everyone is asleep, that's why I get up before 5am to have 1 hour of solo quiet time, my favorite part of the day.

Grateful Kae said...

Enjoy your time off!! I know how much you've been lookign forward to this! Get some relaxation time in and please try to FORGET ABOUT WORK! I think I would be peeing my pants if I had to present to 300 people. That is not something I have to do, at all, in my current job!! I am sure you rocked it. :-)

Jenny said...

I'm very excited about your vacation and can't wait to her all about it! I hope work stuff is minimal. There are good things and bad things about my job- but one good thing is, if I'm on vacation I don't have to think about it at all.
Sounds like you had a fun weekend- it must have felt great to get those runs in.

Elisabeth said...

Hope you have a great vacation!!! You DESERVE THIS. I know it's never fully restful with two kids along, but to be in one place with the lake and more hands to help with the kids I hope it's a nice change of pace.

I DO check e-mails when I'm away from home because technically I don't have any "vacation" since I work part-time and that doesn't come with vaca. I kinda hate it since it can impact my level of enjoyment while away. As much as I despise getting behind on e-mails, I once was away for a few days with my husband solo and on the last morning saw a really tough e-mail come in and it completely ruined my day (it was basically an emergency work situation that was really intense and I knew the instant I walked in the door at home I needed to get on the phone and solve problems with our software developer and it was stressful) and actually coloured my memory of the whole experience! So checking e-mail is a mixed bag for me, mostly negative...but also mostly unavoidable for me.

Nicole said...

Enjoy your vacation!!! I wish I could see you - I hope it goes well.

Charbelle said...

I hope your call went well!!! I don't have work email on my phone. I did take my work laptop with me when I was traveling 2 weeks ago so I could check email. Sounds like such a fun weekend!!! We celebrated my nephews birthdays at the lake!!!

Stephany said...

I hope the call went well! And hooray for vacation. Is this the vacation where you'll see Amber? If so, give her a hug from me!

I am not someone who checks email when I'm on vacation. But I know I'm lucky to be able to do that because we have a robust team that can step in. I really value my work/life balance and would not enjoy having to keep up with my emails/work while I'm off!

San said...

I hope the work call went well. Nothing better than heading out on vacation after a big presentation. I hope you can unplug and truly relax.

When I take time off and stay in the US, I will occasionally check emails, but when I go to Germany, I usually *have to* fully unplug because I cannot check emails overseas (because of security policies, I have to be on government equipment and signed in with my ID card - which I can't take overseas).

Anne said...

I can't believe someone let your coworker take leave when you did! I hope that doesn't happen often - and I also hope that you were able to unplug.
I have to say, I never do completely disconnect... I always log in to at least delete the junk emails.
It sounds like this was a family vacation, so I hope you all had a wonderful time!