Thursday, May 2, 2024

What We Read in April

After some lackluster months of reading, April was really great! Finally! I read 10 books but 2 were chapter books I read with Paul and 1 was a middle grade novel I read to see if it would be appropriate for Paul. I am still counting them because the read-alouds took a good number of nights to get through - probably 1 week each as we read about 1 chapter each night since the chapters were long - and the other middle grade was 300 pages or something like that, although I read it in probably 3 hours. More about those childrens'/middle grade books below, though! 

Best books:

I had far more hits than misses this month. Berry Pickers is a debut novel I learned about from Sarah’s Bookshelves Live. It’s about a Canadian Native American family that travels down to Maine each summer for berry picking season. Their daughter goes missing and the story is told in a dual narrative format. It was an excellent 5-star read. Come and Get It has very mixed reviews but it ultimately worked for me. It’s set on a college campus and it about relationships between students and teachers, power dynamics, and so much more. While You Were Out is a very sad memoir about a family’s history of mental illness. Research triggers on this if you are a sensitive reader. The River We Remember is a literary mystery about a deeply disliked man that is found dead. It manages to pull together a lot of themes like the impact of war and the poor treatment of Native Americans - but it pulls it off and the writing is beautiful. Amazing Grace Adams takes place in one day and features a post-menopausal woman at her wit’s end who is trying to get to her teen daughter with whom she has a strained relationship (for reasons that are revealed through the novel) so she can deliver a birthday cake. It sounds like an odd premise but it somehow works.


Less successful:

There were some misses. Day by Michael Cunningham is a novel that looks at a family on a single day in April in 2019, 2020, and 2021 so it’s obviously a pandemic novel. It’s another marriage in crisis type of novel and while the prose was beautiful at times, it didn't completely work for me. I felt like I was held at arm's length and didn't "feel" the pain expressed in the pages if that makes sense. Frozen River is the latest historical fiction novel about a female heroine by Ariel Lawhon. I liked it but I didn’t love it and felt like it dragged a bit. It’s about a female midwife in the 1780s. It’s Goodreads average rating is around 4.5 so I am the outlier in not loving this book (I gave it 3 stars) - but historical fiction is not my jam these days.



Exploratory reads:

Lastly, I read a middle grade novel called A Rover's Story to see if it would be something I could read to Paul. He is very into space and this novel is told from the point of a view of a Rover that goes on a mission to Mars. Ultimately I've decided to hold off on reading this as it has a heavier storyline for one of the scientists that works in rover NASA lab. It is totally appropriate for middle grade but I think 6 is too young and it might cause some stress/worry. In a couple of years when he is actually in middle grade I would totally read this with him or have him read it on his own. I can't say what it was that gave me pause because it would be a spoiler but message me if you want to know if you are considering this for your child. It is an excellent book, though! 



The boys’ books:

Paul had gotten REALLY into chapter books lately. In April we read 2 Paddington books that are part of a boxed set I received for my baby shower! He found Paddington’s antics very entertaining and he got to watch the first Paddington movie the weekend I was in ND for the funeral - it sounded like he liked it but not as much as the book (yessssss! Books for the win!!). Next he has decided he wants to try the Harry Potter books so we started the first book at the end of April. I imagine it will take us a month+ to read it. I love picture books but I really love snuggling up and digging into a chapter book! Paul can be a sensitive reader so we will see if he’s ready for the plot line of the HP books which can be intense. I haven’t read HP since my first reading of the series which I started in 2004 so it’s like I’m reading it for the first time! I have never watched the movies but maybe I will finally watch them with Paul as we finish each novel.


Taco’s tastes are really changing, too! He seems to be making the shift to picture books from board books which I AM HERE FOR!! His favorite right now is ‘The Circus Ship’ by Chris Van Dusen which he adorably pronounces ‘the shircus ship’. He is also loving the Bruce books by Ryan T. Higgins which are also a delight! He was slower to warm up to books so it makes me so happy to see his love of reading grow! 

This is my go to book for first birthdays or baby showers when you are asked to give a book instead of a card. I give picture books early because new parents tend to get a ton of board books but I want to contribute to their future library! I love reading picture books we received for the baby shower because there is often a note to "Baby Segner" (we didn't find out Paul's gender).


Did you read anything great in April?

15 comments:

Birchwood Pie said...

The Berry Pickers is going on my TBR! Sarah's recs are hit and miss for me - when they hit, they really hit, and when they miss, they really miss. So when she goes all in on a book like The Berry Pickers I always look for a second recommendation. I'll probably pick up While You Were Out on audio - sigh, I hear you on the triggers but it sounds fascinating.

April was a great reading month! I read a run of the mill thriller that I was on the fence about until it got to The Twist which made me respect it - that book was The Woman on the Ledge. And then after hearing Nicole recommend it about 50 times I FINALLY picked up the Lucy Barton series. I'm loving it!

Grateful Kae said...

I think SHU also read Come and Get It this month and liked it also, if I recall, so if both of you guys liked it, I am sure I would too!! Glad you had a good reading month! I should browse our basement bookshelves where I have still kept some of the boys' older books and see if I can brainstorm any good titles or series for you. I mean, you're so up on the latest and hits that I'm sure you'll have no trouble finding books and series for your boys on your own! But my boys read a ton in that age 5-12 range. My own reading life has been horrible lately. I started out the year strong (for me) but then I completely fell off around spring break. You may recall I had started reading The Kite Runner.... well, I ended up letting it sit untouched for a really long time and just recently picked it back up. And it's so good! I just had had so much going on with my parents here so often for the bathroom remodel, my evenings felt so full... but I've read some this week while sick (though not a ton, since was hard to really focus on words on the page when I wasn't feeling well). I'm really itching to read some good books though. I'm especially in the mood for a good non-fiction! Those tend to be my favorites. I'm thinking about picking up Cal's newest book but at the same time, since I'm a die-hard podcast listener of his, I feel like I've probably heard most of the ideas already.

Jeanie said...

Don't you just LOVE that he liked Paddington books better? That is VERY cool! I just started Doris Kearns GOodwin's new book on the sixties. It's fascinatng!

Kyria @ Travel Spot said...

I love William Kent Krueger and am glad that you enjoyed this latest book. I am working my way through his Cork O'Connor series and am enjoying that it is about MN and also that he talks a lot about the native people and their customs. However, I am going pretty slowly through the series and so am only a few in (out of maybe 20?) The only book of his that I did not love was The Levee, which I think may have been done as an audiobook only and I read during the pandemic.

My book post will go live next week but my favorite in April was The Women and my least favorite was The Covenant of Water.

Kristin Wellsand said...

I've seen Berry Pickers recommended multiple places now, I'm definitely adding it to my TBR! I'm going to add A Rover's Story to my TBR with my son as well. I've love reading my with my kids (now 7 and 10) since they were babies and reading chapter books with them now is such a joy! I still read picture books with my younger son (lately he has been reading them to ME which is a delight) and some longer chapter books with my older son. We are reading "Shipwreck at the Bottom of the World: The Extraordinary True Story of Shackleton and The Endurance" now and I love exploring something new together! Other books we've enjoyed: Roald Dahl (Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is our favorite); The Mouse and the Motorcycle; Gone-Away Lake; Boxcar Children; the Humphrey books by Betty G Birney. We started Harry Potter last year; I've never read them or seen the movies so it's fun for all of us! And he's enjoyed being in the know when we see references out and about. I read 9 books this month and the standouts were: You with a View by Jessica Joyce and Poverty, by America by Matthew Desmond (this one was slightly depressing as it all seems so terrible and a lost cause, but it gave me lots to think about and changes I can make in my own life.)

Anonymous said...

For picture books, we loved I Want My Hat Back and still quote from it with my 11 year old regularly.

Elisabeth said...

My reading game has been quite pitiful lately. I'm always so hesitant to commit to fiction because I'm so picky and only have so much reading time...but I'm burned out on non-fiction. Maybe I just need a little reading break? But I'm VERY intrigued by your "Best" list. I will be consulting your Goodreads ratings soon - I need to dip my toe back in to fiction again.

I've already told you my "scare" warnings for the HP movies and we are agreed that Chris V D is THE BEST.

Coco said...

I've read few running/racing related books before the race. Now I'm still reading non-fiction, the super communicator, very interesting book. Will do a recap of books read so far this year soon. I want to read fiction, but feel less patient with the first 50 pages, maybe I need a good thriller to get me intrigued.

Life of a Doctor's Wife said...

My daughter LOVED A Rover's Story. But she is ten, so that is a big age difference. Have you read Paul the Wild Robot series? She loved those books as well. I think we read the first one to her when she was Paul's age or a little younger. (I unfortunately did not read them to her, my husband did, so I can't speak to whether the themes might cause worry. But she loved them all.)

Your review of Berry Pickers has me wanting to pick it up again! I got about halfway through but wasn't feeling it, for whatever reason.

I just finished listening to Apples Never Fall and really enjoyed it. My "reading of physical books" lately is nil, though - thank goodness for audiobooks!

Jenny said...

Ooh, Harry Potter! That's about the age where I started reading them to Paul. I recommend you stop after the third book though! It's the fourth book that takes a dark turn- I felt like Paul wasn't mature enough for it. Then, around fourth or fifth grade Paul re-read the first books on his own, and then we both went on to read the rest of them. And then we both re-read them a few summers ago!
I've heard good things about The Berry Pickers- I want to read it. I read a lot of great books in April, and am now in the middle of A Gentleman in Moscow, which I'm loving.

Stephany said...

I think I have The Berry Pickers on my TBR, but I need to check. Like Birchie said, Sarah's recs sometimes go really well for me or really poorly!

My favorite books of April included The Women by Kristin Hannah, Ander & Santi Were Here by Jonny Garza Villa, and White Tears/Brown Scars by Ruby Hamad.

Diane C. said...

The kids and I love Ryan Higgins' books. All the Bruce books are delightful. Did you read the series that begins with "We Don't Eat Our Classmates?" Also pretty great.

J said...

I'm going to put your best books on hold at the library, though I'm pretty sure I'll forget who recommended them by the time I get to them. Thank you in advance!

I recently listened to:
My Oxford Year, by Julia Whelan - Liked it a lot
The Heaven and Earth Grocery Store - James McBride - Pretty Good
North Woods - Daniel Mason - I really liked this one
Family Family - Laurie Frankel - I liked this one a lot

Ernie said...

Books for the win, indeed! Berry Pickers sounds really good. I usually like Historical Fiction, but the older I get the more I prefer memoirs. I appreciate the reviews. I'm currently reading Tom Lake by Ann Patchett which I'm enjoying.

NGS said...

I really liked Frozen River, but A Midwife's Tale was so so smart. I enjoyed reading them back to back. I just find myself thinking about how Martha Ballard could be lost to history if she hadn't written her journal and what a loss that would be for the rest of us. Also, it encourages me to write more about my daily activities on my blog - for prosperity, you know?