Friday, September 16, 2011

Dairy Free Friday: Entertaining GF and DF

Greetings, Happy Friday, and hello from Charlotte, NC!! 

It's been awhile since I've done a Dairy Free post, so I figured it was time for one.  When I hosted the Ambers back in August, I made it my mission to treat them to a dairy free, gluten free vegetarian meal. 

For appetizers, we started off easy with some veggies and roasted red pepper hummus.  Yes, I bought hummus...  I know it's easy to make, but we were out and about all day and I needed something easy!!



I knew I wanted to grill dinner, so I found a veggie burger recipe that turns out great.  I knew it was a hit when my meat-eating family tried and really liked the Black Bean Veggie Burgers I made for them!  It's a really simple recipe - I would suggest doubling the bread crumbs, though, so they will stick together better.  I used GF bread crumbs, so the burgers were safe for me to eat.  (BTW, there is an egg in the recipe, so it is not a vegan recipe...  just an fyi...)

The burgers have a mexican taste to them due to the seasoning, so I decided to serve them with an avocado spread instead of the standard ketchup/mustard condiments.  I used this recipe - which is simple and delicious!  I may or may not have eaten the leftover spread with a spoon...  Hey, it's healthy carbs, right?

Along with the burgers, I grilled rosemary potatoes (sliced baby red/golden yukons, minced garlic, fresh rosemary, olive oil, and salt and pepper - easy!) and also grilled up a bunch of vegetables which were brushed with a balsamic glaze


It ws a FULL grill!  It definitely did not look like I was cooking for 3 :)
I was really happy with how the meal turned out, and the girls were very complimentary.  Canadian Amber ended up recreating the meal for her family so I guess that means they weren't just being nice when they said it was good!


Canadian Amber's plate

For dessert, we made banana softserve, which has become my go-to treat!  We mixed in some cocoa to make it a chocolatey softserve.  We rimmed the glasses with gluten free graham crackers, and added in some chocolate chips, marshmallows, and sprinkles!  It was delish!


All in all, it was a successful meal!  I even let the girls pitch in and help (this is a big deal, delegating is NOT my forte).  We had a blast making this meal and really enjoyed our evening.  Of course, the views from the grilling/patio area sure contributed to the wonderful night.



I think I proved that you CAN cook vegetarian, gluten free, dairy free food that is delicious!!

When is the last time you hosted friends for dinner?  What did you make?  I am excited to have a larger place as now I will be able to host dinner parties! 

21 comments:

Jess said...

That looks delicious! Any time avocado is part of a meal, that's a guaranteed win for me.

I've never actually had a dinner party before. I'd like to, but by and large, I'm a really terrible chef. The one thing that I can make pretty well is spaghetti, so if I'm going to be having a lot of people over, that's my go-to.

AshleyD said...

Wow, that looks like a delicious meal! Wish I could have joined you girls. :)

My friends and I try to get together every few weeks to cook dinner together. The summer has made that tough, but we have a dinner party scheduled for Tuesday and I'm so excited! Chicken 'n dumplings and pumpkin cheesecake!

AshleyD said...

Wow, that looks like a delicious meal! Wish I could have joined you girls. :)

My friends and I try to get together every few weeks to cook dinner together. The summer has made that tough, but we have a dinner party scheduled for Tuesday and I'm so excited! Chicken 'n dumplings and pumpkin cheesecake!

missris said...

This sounds AMAZING! I'm definitely going to be trying those black bean burgers very soon!

Erin said...

YUMMY! I've decided to go mostly paleo in my diet...not only do I feel YUCKY after indulging too much in grains and dairy, but it's just going to be easer with my daughter's food allergies :)

The last dinner I hosted was for my book club. We read The Help, so dinner HAD to be southern comfort food: fried chicken, mashed potatoes & gravy, deviled eggs, biscuits, and brussels sprouts. It tasted so good...but WOW did I have a wheat hangover the next day!

Marlys said...

The meal looked awesome and the atmosphere on the grilling deck did, too! Those burgers were awesome - and the avocado dressing must have made them extra good! I bet it will be your go-to burger recipe! And that dessert looks so, so delish!

Lisa-Marie said...

It looks really yummy, I'll have to try those burgers. As you know, we try to eat meat two or three times a week at most, so are always grateful for veggie recipes. Also, I'm going to try the burgers for the kids I look after, as baba is dairy free and as gluten free as is possible (he can have a bit but not lots).

One of you has Christmas coloured sprinkles :)

Lisa-Marie said...

Oh also, your banana softserve is known as 'whizzed nana' to the kids I look after, and works rather well with toffee sauce!

Carolina John said...

Have fun in Charlotte! I really wish I could get down there this weekend to meet you.

Leigh said...

The burgers sound delicious! Especially with the avocado spread on them :) If I can convince my meat loving husband to try them, I will definitely make them.

Have a great weekend Lisa!

Abby said...

I think I'm going to try making those black bean veggie burgers! Ive been doing a lot of vegetarian meals lately. Yum! That looks delicious!

As does the desert! Mmm

Your patio is beauitful!!!!

Amber @ A Little Pink in the Cornfields said...

This meal was so good! I wish I had time to recreate it! I'm definitely making the banana soft serve again when I get a food processor!
Lisa you did such a good job planning and took such good care of us!
I cannot remember the last time I hosted friends for a meal... Probably grilling burgers over the summer. Nothing too special. I think I burnt them too.... we really need a new grill! (yes, I'm blaming the grill!)

Amber said...

That meal was not only super delicious but super healthy and filling!! I will be recreating it even more in the future!

That was such a fun night, loved reading this post and remembering our time together :-)

I haven't had friends over for dinner for awhile but my go-to meal when friends are coming over is homemade pizza! Ha!

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks said...

That avocado spread looks fantastic. And on a burger? Yum! I'm a fan of black bean burgers, actually, so I'm pretty sure I'd be loving on that meal, too! Glad it was such a huge success! Your goal next time should be to offer to share with a cute (preferably single) guy who just happens to be up on the patio, too! =)

Erin from Hey, Soul Sister! said...

Yumm.....looks so delicious!!!! We haven't had an official dinner party for awhile....but we spent the summer grilling in our backyard! I can't believe fall is upon us. We still tend to grill all year (but not as often as summer.)

crystal said...

...and now Im starving! Everything looks awesome and I am totally trying the black bean burgers, yum!

Kelly (She Wears a Red Sox Cap) said...

Wow I REALLY want that banana softserve, it looks AMAZING. I need to bring that back into my life again!

Kyria @ Travel Spot said...

Okay now I am hungry! That all looks really delicious! You are a top notch host. I was wondering how you were going to pull it all off. It looks like it was a 5 star meal!

I really want a burger now. Darn it. And some hummus.

Jeanie said...

It all looks just delicious. I haven't made dinner for friends since summer. I think it's time to clean up the house and call someone over!

Becky said...

That meal looks AMAZING! Um, and I always buy hummus - I never even thought of making it myself. Ha!

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said...

That dessert is so fun!!

I LOVE hosting dinner parties and all sorts of other parties. I had friends over for dinner about a month ago.