Monday, May 11, 2015

Weekend Recap

Oh Monday...  you came way too fast.  I need another weekend to recover from my weekend...  Such is the plight of a someone that is half-way through moving.  Here's how I filled my weekend.

I took Friday off so I spent most of the day schlepping things from my unit on the 13th floor to my new unit on the 8th floor.  Thank God for elevators.  I managed to move 5 out of 6 of my book cases and all of my books.  My bedroom went from looking like this...


To looking like this.

I'm so glad that the property manager let me have the keys to my new unit early.  The movers come this Friday but it was nice to gradually move things down to the new place.

Mid-day, I took a break from schlepping boxes to pick up tickets to this show, which I'm so excited to go to!!


On Friday night, we went to a get-together at a college friend of Phil's.  We hadn't seen the couple that hosted for 6+ months, I think, so it was fun to catch up with them and see the other couples that we hang out with on a regular basis.

On Saturday morning I joined my club for a hilly long run.  The run is entitled "Potpourri of Hills" and is probably the most challenging long run route our club does.  I ran 11 miles and was definitely tired at the end!  I know Minnesota is less hilly than other parts of the country but those 11 miles felt tough!


On Saturday afternoon I went to a charity bowling event.  I bowled terribly so opted to only play 1 game.  I got to hang out with my friend Amanda and her family so it was a really fun afternoon.  On Saturday evening Phil came over and we did more packing/moving.  I was so over moving at this point, but Phil kept saying, "let's just do one more trip" over and over and over again.  We ended up moving most of my clothes and the contents of 3 closets.  We got quite a bit done and I was glad that he pushed me to move more than I thought we would that night.  By the time we called it quits, it was after 8 so I ordered GF pizza and we called it a night pretty early as we were both exhausted.

Sunday consisted of - you guessed it - more moving.  I unpacked the rest of my books and moved my patio furniture and some of my kitchen stuff. I wrapped up all of my moving tasks by 3 pm on Sunday because I just needed some time to just 'be'.  I was on my feet for much of Friday and Saturday so my legs were definitely feeling it by Sunday afternoon.  I had the best intentions to get a workout in or go to yoga but I decided to count the schlepping of boxes as a workout. 

My friend Amanda comes over tonight to help me pack up my kitchen.  Once that is done I think I will feel ready for the movers to come.  This week is going to be a bit hectic as I have a work dinner tomorrow night and book club on Wednesday night so I am glad I got so much done this weekend!  

Life is feeling a little chaotic/overwhelming right now.  Besides moving, I'm also coordinating a volunteer night for run club and then I go to Virginia for that hellaciously long presentation...   So I am going to take a little 2 week break from blogging.  I'll be back at the end of May with photos of my new home!

When was the last time you moved?  This is my 3rd move in 25 months - I am SO SICK OF MOVING (yes, ALL CAPS).  Moving 5 floors is easier than moving 1,000 miles, but it's still so much work.

22 comments:

Kelly (She Wears a Red Sox Cap) said...

I definitely count moving boxes as a workout!

Things are crazy for you right now, a break sounds good :) You are going to need a long weekend or something at the end of May as well!

missris said...

Ugh moving is the worst. You have my sympathies!

Jeanie said...

BIG YIKES! What a change you made. And good for you. Packing is no fun -- I cringe when I think about it. And even though you can probably move some things without packing, it's still a big deal. Almost over, though -- hang in there!

Marisa A. said...

I hate moving. It's not so much the moving part it's the packing part. I'm terrible at knowing what I'll need ahead of time and what can be packed away. My friend from Iowa was up this weekend and we did a very hilly run Saturday as well! Must have been hill day for all runners :)

Marlys said...

It sounds like you made great progress! I'm sure it helped to have Phil pushing to do more and I hope the unpacking goes smoothly! The next two weeks will fly by, literally, and then you can take a breather! Can't wait to see pictures of the finished project, and I know that re-hanging pictures will be the worst chore. It is for me, I know!
Good luck on your presentation!

Cherry Blossoms said...

Hang in there girl! Even with movers, moving still is one of the worse things ever and stressful. Glad you have some great helpers around though!

Nora said...

last time i moved is when we moved into our house, almost three years ago as of next weekend. I can't stand moving, not one single bit!

Good luck with the presentation, the move and everything else. Will be thinking of you! <3

Carolina John said...

it sucks! Moving is the worst and I hate the process. As much as I am ready to get out of this particular house, I want that to be my last move for a long time, like 20 or 30 years. Never thought I would have made it 5 years in this house, never wanted to stay here that long. But I still dread moving at the same time.

Becky said...

Dude. You ROCKED the packing this weekend - so proud of you! It's exhausting but just think, soon you will be done done done! Hang in there!

Our weekend consisted of lack of sleep, but was made up for in baby snuggles - ooh and newborn pics! (I may or may not already be bugging Jess for the rest of them. Ha!)

San said...

The last time we moved was pretty much exactly 4 years ago and since you know that I want to find a new place BADLY, I wish we could move ASAP. I know, the actual act of moving is no fun, but I am really looking forward to a new/bigger place.
In your case, it was a forced move, so I can see how you're much less excited about it ;) but I am glad you got so much done last week.

Also, yay for 11 miles (that's so impressive) and time with friends!

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said...

Moving sucks! Luckily, as an adult, I've only moved twice. Once about 11 years ago, and then the last time was about 8 years ago. I don't plan on moving again until I retire, haha!

Leigh said...

Busy weekend of packing and moving stuff for you! It looks like you have a big and sunny bedroom though. What is the new place like? Comparable?

katielookingforward said...

Way to go on the early moving!!! How awesome that you were able to get the keys and go slow!! I hope you find some rest/peace in this crazy time. Hopefully in June I'll have a job and can ask you to meet up for a drink/coffee to celebrate surviving the changes!

Emilie said...

I'm glad you got so much accomplished with your move this weekend but I totally understand being so OVER moving. I have moved a lot in recent years and it's nice knowing that I don't have to do it again for a long, long time. Hopefully you can say the same once this move is complete!

Lauren @ Sassy Molassy said...

That is an impressive long (hilly) run! I want to get back out and do some hills this summer when I can. That's nice of Phil to keep encouraging you like that. I imagine it became a joke as he would say "just one more trip" for the millionth time. One of the midwives at our birth class said that one of the moms she was recently with just kept saying "just five more pushes" even though in reality she probably had a thousand or something, but it kept her mentally focused to just think about five at a time. Anyway, random tangent, but that's all we think about in our house these days... baby everything. ;)

Abby said...

Ugh - your weekend sounded chaotic. Yuck!! However, I am glad you have Phil by your side this time to help you! It will be such a weight off your shoulders once this is ALL done!

Last time I moved was the San Antonio move. Does that count? I guess there was no furniture involved, but it was still a pain to pack up a temporary kitchen and all my clothes for 5 months. Prior to that, until we bought this house we moved every 12 months for 4 years in a row!

I will miss your blogs, but completely understand your need to step back and take a break!

Amber said...

I'm kind of thinking of taking a blogging break too! I worked late last night, work late tomorrow and thursday night, camping Friday and Saturday night and fly out on Monday afternoon for my work conference Mon - Sat. I don't have much to say on the blog other than "I feel so busy right now!"

Great job with all the moving this weekend though! That's funny that Phil just kept saying one more trip over and over. I bet it feels good now that it's all behind you though!

Kyria @ Travel Spot said...

Oh man, I totally know what you are talking about! I have started packing stuff up and I am already tired of moving.I haven't even actually MOVED anything yet!! The other thing I am having trouble with is the timeline...I need to go over and clean the house before I actually move too much stuff over there. Also, I have mostly small stuff here, but will have to drive up to my parents house at some point and get some of my bigger things. It will take a while and many trips back and forth, and I am not looking forward to it.

Enjoy your break! I have been taking a bit of a break as well, although it was unplanned...but necessary. Sometimes things just creep up on you all at once!

Linda said...

Miss your blog posts already!

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks said...

The downside of the weekend is it was end-capped with moving. But, the upside is you were able to sprinkle your weekend with FUN things, instead of spending the entire weekend moving. =) The last time I moved was almost 7 years ago. The downside of that is how much stuff we've accumulated over that time - I don't even want to think about next spring/summer when we will have to pack up our place - so much stuff to pack (or donate/throw away!!!!).

Elizabeth said...

Enjoy the blogging break and I can't wait for you to be all settled into the new space :)

The Many Thoughts of a Reader said...

booo. no more moves.