Friday, July 7, 2017

July Happiness Project: Get Outside and to the Lake

Oh hey, remember how I said I was going to have a monthly "happiness project"? And then didn't focus on anything since focusing on keeping my schedule more tame for March and April? Whoops. Let's just say my focus for May and June was getting married/adjusting back to normal life!

I do want to get back to having a monthly focus, though. My July focus is going to be getting outside and to the lake. Summer is a short season here in the Midwest so I need to be intentional about making the most of it!  Here's how I'm planning to live out this focus in July!

1. Week day walks outside. I am terrible at working through my lunch and not taking a break. But in July I want to try to get outside for a 20 minute walk 2-3 times a week, which should be more than doable! A little mid-day fresh air is so good for me. Plus I love watching the steps accumulate on my FitBit (Do you have a FitBit? If so, we should be friends!)

2. Get to the lake more often. In July I'm focusing on getting to the lake more often. I'll be there 3 weekends which is probably the number of weekends I was at the last lake summer in total! Phil and I are taking his mom there for a weekend in 2 weeks. Then I'll head back the following week to spend Wed-Sat there so I can soak up some time with my Chicago brother and his family while they are up there for a week.

3. Weekend coffee + read outside. I'm not going to be around a whole lot this month, but on the weekends I will be around, I want to be intentional about going outside for my morning coffee and to read. I did that on the 4th of July and it was glorious to spend a couple hours out there sipping coffee and reading!

Do you have any monthly focuses or intentions?

6 comments:

Marlys said...

I know I plan to set outside and have my morning coffee on the dock this weekend, weather permitting. Those moments are so rare so it is important to make them happen. I have no specific plans except to see my family on a more regular basis in the summer months which is a joy.

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said...

I love getting outside to read; I did that yesterday with an iced coffee, and it was the most perfect day.

We are two blocks away from the central park/ lake in our city, so I make sure to walk around it a lot of days in the summer. It's too beautiful not to. I love when I have a friend on mat. leave, and they can join me for a visit and walk, as it's much more fun than walking by myself.

Amber said...

I am also trying to enjoy my morning coffee on the back deck with my book on the weekends. I even snuck it a couple times before work as well! Such a nice way to start the day. I need to get better about midday walks at work, I was really good about it for awhile there but haven't done it for awhile.

Jeanie said...

You know the saying "Paris is always a good idea."? Well, the Lake is also a good idea! I heartily applaud your efforts!

Gracie said...

This demonstrates our difference in latitudes: my goal in July is to spend as little time outside as possible!

Stephany said...

I have put myself on a spending freeze for further notice, so that is my challenge for July. It's already been hard because a) I FORGOT ABOUT PRIME DAY and b) I keep thinking of things I "want." But I also need to get my credit card under control and I'm freezing all unnecessary spending until I do that. It will be a good lesson for me on wants vs needs!