Friday, June 8, 2018

TGIF!

Wow, I managed to post 3 times this week! That has not happened in a very long time! Even though week days are much different from weekends for me while I'm home with Paul, I still look forward to the weekend as it's great to have Phil around to help out!

The high of my week was coming home after leaving Paul with my aunt so I could go to a doctor appointment and finding out he did not cry while I was gone! Score! She got to our house when Paul was down for a nap so I was a little nervous about how he'd handle waking up to a newish person (she's watched him before but it's been awhile since she last saw him). He did great, though, and was charming her with lots and lots of smiles! Hopefully this means the stranger danger phase is over for now (I know it will come back again later in the year as it's part of their development to fear strangers). 

The low of my week was seeing Paul come down with his first little cold. It's very minor as he hasn't had a fever but it's tough to hear him all stuffed up. I've had to use the Nose Frieda multiple times a day every day this week, which he HATES. 

The book I am reading is Lilac Girls by Martha Hall Kelly. This is a WWII novel that I've been meaning to read for such a long time! The physical book became available right before I was induced but I knew I wouldn't have much time to read a physical book so I canceled my request. The eBook finally became available at the library at the same time as 2 other books - one of which was a book club book! Luckily I was able to get through the other 2 books in time to read this before it's due. Score! I’m almost half done. It’s so sad. So far it mostly focuses on the treatment of women at a concentration camp. 

A Recipe I made was these pineapple and grilled shrimp skewers. I didn't make the quinoa side from the recipe as Phil is just not a fan of quinoa! Instead we had grilled asparagus and we split a baked potato. I love skewer meals. I want to try to make a skewer meal each week as there are so many different recipes out there!

The best money I spent was on some cashew milk ice cream. I haven't really had much success with going dairy free so I am not sure I will stick with it, but cow's milk ice cream has already bothered my stomach so even if I go back to eating dairy, I"m going to continue to eat cashew milk ice cream. It's the best dairy free ice cream I've ever had. I swear you can't tell it's made from cashews. 

My plans this weekend include having lunch with a woman I met through United Way today and then we are having another couple over for cards tonight. Paul goes to bed around 6:30-7 so we can resume our monthly card nights with this couple. We actually don't have plans on Saturday or Sunday which feels great! On Sunday there is an open street festival at the street by our house that I'm hoping to check out. They basically close down the street and there are lots of food trucks, entertainment, booths, etc. 

And because I know everyone likes baby photos, here are a couple of Paul from this week!


It's exhausting being this cute!




Did you make any new recipes this week? What was the high of your week?

10 comments:

Gracie said...

No new recipes for me...I'm kind of in a cooking rut. But you've reminded me to hunt something interesting down for next week.

The Many Thoughts of a Reader said...

I tried a new chicken/pesto sandwich and it was delicious! Last week I made some sour cream enchiladas that were yummy too!

Jeanie said...

Lilac Girls is on my shelf for the summer lake list. And those pineapple shrimp skewers sound terrific -- we'll have to do that.

No new recipes this week. Still settling in at home after vacation and eating lots of fruit and salads from the store!

Amber said...

Those skewers looked super delicious!! Eric is grilling us chicken thighs tonight and he made them a couple of weeks ago and they were seriously the best chicken thighs I've ever had. He found this recipe called maui chicken or something online. They have to marinate for quite awhile before you grill them. I will have to send the recipe to you because it's super delicious.

I gave Lilac Girls 5 stars, I actually didn't LOVE the writing even though I found the story riveting, but the author's note at the end tipped it from 4 to 5 stars for me. I'll be curious to hear what you think of it!

Stephany said...

I'm glad that Paul didn't cry for your aunt while she was babysitting him! That is comforting for when you need to leave him with a babysitter again. Nice!

No new recipes for me this week. My high was seeing Chip! He's so good for my soul. :)

Kelly (She Wears a Red Sox Cap) said...

Aww, sorry for Paul's first cold! But yay for no crying for your aunt!

Charbelle said...

His smiles melt me!!! I'm so glad he did well for your Aunt!!! Michael bought tuna for me and steak skewers for him on Saturday night and both turned out so good!!!

Marlys said...

I love how his tummy is hanging over his pants in the first picture! Too cute!
World War II stories are so sad, especially ones involving the prison camps. It is hard to imagine how people could be so heartless & cruel, and still are in some countries. I wonder what life is like for many North Koreans where they treat their own people less than animals.
Can't wait to see you in about 50 hours or so!

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said...

I love street festivals! My city is pretty boring, so if there is a street festival I always try to go. Those shrimp and pineapple skewers sound great. We rarely make skewers, but I'm definitely going to plan some for this summer. I always forget about them, and would never have thought to put pineapple on a grilled skewer - delicious!

Sorry to hear that Paul got his first little cold :-(

San said...

I am so happy that the babysitting by your aunt went so well. It must be nice to know you can leave Paul in someone's care for a little while :)

Thanks for more cute baby pictures :) Paul is such a doll.