Monday, July 6, 2020

Holiday Weekend Highlights

Happy Monday! I hope everyone enjoyed their long holiday weekend (well, those in the US!). It was a HOT one here. I can't remember it being so hot for so long so early in the summer. Again, I'm really trying not to complain but this heat/humidity is INTENSE.

I was definitely sad to miss out on family time at my parents' lake home but staying home was the responsible decision. Here are some highlights from our holiday weekend!

Water table time

Paul still loves to play with his water table, although his attention span for it has shortened recently. I'm so glad our backyard is shaded in the afternoon. It's been unbearable to be in the sunshine when it's as hot and humid as it's been.


Diaper-only play time

You can't tell from this picture, but Paul is only wearing a diaper. We let him play in a diaper or without shorts any time we were indoors. He seems to naturally run hot so we figure minimal clothing makes sense when it's just and we are indoors.


Lake time

We went swimming every morning Fri-Sun. We were in the local lake by 9 am on Friday and Saturday. Paul really loves swimming and it holds his attention for about 30-45 minutes. It's a short 20-25 minute walk to this lake. On Sunday we went to the lake (Nokomis) where Phil swims a course. It was not as clean as Harriet so I definitely find that we prefer Harriet. But the beach we go to at Nokomis is shaded so there are trade offs for each place! The picture below is of Lake Harriet. The lakes were like glass all weekend since there was zero wind.


Baked goods!

I so rarely bake but I had some blueberries that I wanted to use up, so I looked for recipes in my America's Test Kitchen Gluten Free cook book (highly recommend this cook book if you/someone in your life has a gluten intolerance). I decided to make some muffins. They turned out so good! GF baking is so hit or miss, but every recipe from this book has turned out great!


Toddler indoor activities

We pretty much were not outdoors after mid-day any day this weekend. So I had to find activities to entertain Paul. Luckily he is pretty into coloring these days. He only lasts for 10-15 minutes but I'll take what I can get!


Our 4th of July celebration

We did have one friend over for dinner on the 4th. We stayed outside except for when we ate dinner. The humidity wasn't too bad that night so it was fairly comfortable. Paul had fun flirting with this friend. It's clear that flirtation is second nature and not something that is taught. He had to sit next to her and kept grinning her in the most flirtatious way!


How was your holiday weekend? Is it super hot and humid where you live? We are supposed to get T-storms throughout the week so I am hoping we get a break in the humidity. I can handle the heat - it's the humidity that kills me! 

8 comments:

The Many Thoughts of a Reader said...

It was the weirdest 4th of July of my life. No lake. No parties. Just us in our backyard. Not how the previous 35 years of my life have been for sure. We made enough food to feed a party because that made me happy. So I made a chocolate pudding pie and Isla decorated the top as a flag, I made a bean dip and made a flag on the top, and a red, white and blue charcuterie board. Anthony smoked a brisket and ribs. We ate well all weekend. We were also in the pool every single day. This is the first year I've been in the pool so much! And under water. And doing handstands ha!

Jeanie said...

It's hot here at the lake but a nice breeze and no humidity much so far. Your Fourth sounds good. I'm so glad you have lakes close at hand that are pretty and safe for swimming, especially when it's so hot.The diaper thing makes perfect sense to me!

Stephany said...

Ugh, the humidity is nuts in FL. I went on a walk at 6:30 this morning and the humidity was 94%! It felt so awful. (And then it started raining when I was almost finished and the rain felt SO refreshing!!)

Fourth of July weekend was so weird for me, especially knowing my whole family was getting together. I felt lots of FOMO about it, but oh well. I know lots of family members didn't understand it, but that's not for me to worry about! I have to do what feels right to me.

Gracie said...

It's so nice to have access to lakes nearby! Especially when the weather is super hot and humid. We did...nothing for the fourth. We were invited to a party, but since cases are rises here, I didn't think it was prudent to go. We were off on the third, though, and did a day date while the nanny was here! It was fun to have a day to ourselves!

Carolina John said...

Glad you had fun! We had a super absurdly hot holiday weekend. I did get to pour some concrete saturday, but then the Seasonal Affective Disorder kicked in hard on Sunday. I tried to get out of bed once, then gave up and went back. didn't even broach the door to get outside again. it's going to be a long summer down here.

Marlys said...

Thus 4th reminded me of the one we celebrated 8 years ago with almost 40 people at our lake place. The heat and humidity were extreme both times and being in the lake or in the house were the only 2 comfortable places to be. We had a great family time inspite of it!

katielookingforward said...

Good to know about harriett being clean! I need to start swimming in the lakes in the cities on the weekends i can't go north.

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said...

It was super humid this week, and Friday morning when I walked around the lake around 9 am, the air was so warm and heavy, unlike any other day this year. I couldn't believe how warm it was for that early in the morning. Lovely lake photo!