Monday, January 22, 2024

Weekend Recap

Our cold spell is coming to an end today - thank goodness. It’s been a long 10+ day stretch of terribly cold sub-zero weather but it will be in the 30s this week which is going to feel tropical. I mean when it was above 0F last week (like 3F) I told the boys, ‘hey it’s not so cold anymore!’ Ha. 

We had a pretty nice weekend! It did not get off to a great start, though. On Friday morning, Taco had his 3y well child appointment and his doctor agreed it made sense to test him for celiac between some of his symptoms and our strong family history. I stupidly did not realize it would involve a venous draw of blood. But they didn’t get enough from the first draw so they had to draw from his other arm. It took 2 phlebotomist and me holding his body to do the blood draws. Oof. During that awful process, I was questioning if it was all worth it but I still think it’s worth it to know whether he should be eating gluten. I’m hoping it’s negative because it will really complicate things but I would rather know versus have him be miserable. 

Things improved that night, though! I met up with another mom in the neighborhood that I actually met through my blog (Hi Anne!). We met up at 7:30 at the restaurant by my house that is 100% gluten free (Colita) and ties for my favorite restaurant in the city (112 Eatery is my other fave). Our kids are similar ages and we just get along so well - it’s a kindred spirit kind of connection. I hadn’t had non-work/non-family social plans since the first weekend of December so was long overdue for a social outing! 

On Saturday I did a Caroline Girvan workout and then the boys and I met up with friends at the zoo while Phil got a car serviced and grocery shopped. It was quite cold outside so we stuck to indoor exhibits. 

Eating snacks while posing for a photo

I packed lunches for them but our friends ordered food. Taco apparently likes ketchup? He dipped a few fries in it but mostly ate it plain off his finger. He also had some cookie for dessert. The cookie was not dipped in ketchup to be clear.


Admittedly the wheels kind of fell off after nap/quiet time. Winter is hard. I can really only manage one outing per day, especially when it’s so cold. So there was a lot of whining/meltdowns/sibling discord in the afternoon/evening. I made turkey wild rice soup for dinner which hit the spot on a cold winter day. I use this recipe but add chicken or turkey and I leave out the mushrooms since Phil doesn’t like them.

The weather on Sunday morning felt worse as it was windy so felt colder than Saturday. Bleh. I did another CG workout once Phil was up (I’m the early morning parent and get a break during naptime). And then time kind of stood still while we entertained the boys indoors. 

I was glad to take Paul to swimming in the afternoon. It felt less cold outside. Woo hoo! Paul was struggling a bit so another floating teacher jumped in to help the other kids so he could get some 1:1 time with the teacher. This place (Foss) is expensive but worth it since they do things like this.


Post-lesson macarons


I made pasta sauce for dinner which sneakily includes blitzed carrots, onions, and celery. I had mine on spaghetti squash; the boys had theirs on pasta. After the boys were in bed, we watched the Bills/Chiefs game. We were cheering for the Bills so were bummed when they lost. 

Next weekend we will be at my parents which I am really looking forward to. We badly need a change of scenery!! 

How was your weekend?

No comments: