Monday, January 29, 2024

Weekend review

Well the weekend didn’t turn out like we had planned. We were supposed to go to my parents but Paul woke up with a fever on Friday morning. Because of course. I was really looking forward to seeing my parents but hopefully we can go over Presidents’ weekend in February. Hopefully the 3rd time is the charm (we were initially supposed to go over MLK weekend but rescheduled due to bitterly cold temps).

I came into the weekend totally worn out after an intense week at work. I did 33 client meetings last week on top of having so much other work to do. I had a quiet week at the start of January and now work is back to a frenetic pace. I’m constantly pivoting from task to task. My heart races a bit just thinking about it honestly…I had to put an auto message on teams saying my response may be delayed because of my volume of client calls. I get so stressed when I am on call after call and I have emails pouring in and my teams app is flashing with 5+ messages, etc. I’m so grateful for my new hire but I wish I could clone him and have 2 people working for me. This pace of work isn’t exactly sustainable but I think/hope that as he gets more efficient I will be able to assign more work to him. My role has really changed and grown in the last 3 years - which is great because I like to be challenged. But I would love some quiet, less frantic days.

But back to our weekend… We laid low on Friday and I made tacos for dinner. Usually Taco won’t eat tacos… but he did on Friday! 


Paul was up in his room with his iPad since he was sick so Taco had our undivided attention and wow - he was like a different kid! No tantrums, no yelling, easy to entertain. Turns out not sharing the limelight makes a big difference. I mean bedtime was where the wheels fell off but it was nice to have an easier night of parenting after a long week of work.

Enjoying a pre-bedtime graham cracker. His celiac test was negative so he can continue to eat gluten!

My Saturday started with Paul throwing up but at least it was in a bucket? Luckily he started to feel better a couple of hours later so it was a fairly short-lived bug. I still got my Caroline Girvan workout in - 45/50 of the epic heat series! January has been a great month for workouts since I was home for 2+ weeks while my office was renovated. I’m hoping to keep up with doing 4-5 workouts each week even while traveling or being in the office. 

Phil and Taco went out to his mom’s after quiet time and I stayed back with Paul. So it was a very easy, low key afternoon for me. I made lentil soup for dinner (Paul had something else). Taco enjoyed all the attention at his Nana’s and put some puzzles together. 


On Sunday I did another CG workout when Phil was up for the day (I’m the early morning parent since I am more of a morning person). Then the boys and I made monster cookies! This was my first time baking with Taco. He did pretty well. He did turn the mixer on the highest speed when I turned around and he required a lot more monitoring than when Paul helped me bake at this age. But I think Paul was the outlier in being so easy to bake with… or it’s just that first child rule following energy he tends to have.




And yes Taco is wearing Mickey clothes in every picture in this post. His obsession with Mickey is alive and well.

Paul had swimming where he once again got 1:1 attention from a floating teacher. 


Post nap it was pretty mild out (30s) so we went to the park for a short visit. We hadn’t been to the park for months! 


Bedtime was a total gong show for both boys, though, so it wasn’t all sunshine and roses on Sunday. Paul is usually easier - I’m guessing he was acting up being I am traveling again this week after a nearly 2 month break. 

Speaking of which, today I fly to LA for an internal sales conference. It’s my first time attending in my almost 9 years with the company. It will be a good chance to meet a lot of people in person that I have only interacted with over phone/email/zoom. I get back Wednesday night around 7pm so it’s a pretty short trip. I will be completely extroverted out by the end! I’m crossing my fingers that no one else gets the stomach bug Paul had!

How was your weekend? 

No comments: