Friday, June 12, 2009

Have I outgrown chicklit?

I got a bunch of gift cards at my graduation party - mostly for B&N. Along with one of the cards came instructions to buy myself a fun summer read. So I decided to pick up a book that falls under the "ChickLit" category. I used to read these - almost exclusively - when I was in college, but haven't read many in the last 5 years. Some of the books I've been reading lately have been a little on the heavy/sad side, so I thought it'd be fun to read something a little lighter. I bought "The Smart One and the Pretty One" by Claire LaZebnik. The story line looked kind of cute - as an adult, the sister of one the main characters stumbles upon a contract that her parents drew up when she was a child, betrothing her to the boy next door. The main character is single and approaching 30, so the sister decides to track this guy down.

Yes, it's a silly & unlikely storyline, but it sounded entertaining enough.

Let's just say I was pretty much annoyed while reading this book. The boy next door turns out to be a twice-divorced man in his 30's who works in the fashion industry and proclaims that he will never settle down again. Wow. What a catch. This has happy ending written all over it.

Meanwhile, the sister who tracks him down start seeing a man that I can only describe as a train wreck. She initially meets him while accompanying her mom to chemo treatments. He catches her eye by verbally accosting one of the nurses. Yes, that would catch my eye, but I'd be more likely tell the guy he was the scum of the earth rather than flirt with him.

I wonder if I would be as annoyed if I was reading this when I was younger? In my wide-eyed innocence, would have read and thought - 'oh, I bet he is going to change and end up being her prince?'

I guess I'll never know! But for now I think it's best that I avoid the ChickLit genre. I think I've just become a tish too cynical/jaded!

Next up - Anna Karenina. I've been wanting to read this book, but am intimidated by its length. Now that I am done with school and have much more free time, I figure this is the summer to tackle this classic! One of friends at work is from Russia so I can't wait to discuss the book with her as she has of course read it!

2 comments:

Amber said...

That story line sounds really lame. I enjoy chick lit that has a semi-believable plot and that's also FUNNY!

That book you're about to start reading sounds interesting! I need to make a library trip again soon. I'm obsessed with Jodi Picoult books lately though!

PS: I mailed Outlander last Friday! Send me an email and let me know when/if you get it!!

Unknown said...

I loved Anna Karenina and I was probably your age when I read it. I think I'll search for my copy and give it a try! Thanks for the idea.