Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Lordy this is gaudy!

I have a confession to make.

I know I said I was never going to watch the Bachelor or Bachelorette again... but I got sucked in, once again. I completely blame Heidi! She does these recaps on facebook each week and I just can't resist talking about the drama of this show with her!

Last night was the season finale. Jillian Harris, the bachelor had two men (technically three since the guy she sent home the previous week showed up to try to win her over) to choose from. As is the case with this show, a proposal seems to be inevitable/expected, even though the Bachelor/Bachelorette has only know these people for about 6 weeks and has been dating multiple men up until the shows finale (as I type this I am again wondering why I watch this smut!).

So last night was no different from previous finales - a proposal occurred and a ring was presented. What made this finale different is that I thought the ring was HIDEOUS!
Here is a picture of Jillian posing next to Neil Lane, the designer of the ring, and check out the close up of that ring!!

Yes, I am sure it sparkles like no other, but yikes. I think it is so dang gaudy!!

Oh, and the ring goes for the bargain price of $60,000. Unless I am dating a billionaire, he better not be dropping that much money on a ring!!

The guys had so many nice option to choose from - my favorite was the ring with the Ascher cut diamond. I guess I am just a simple girl who doesn't want something that huge on my hand. With a size 4.5 ring finger, I think it would look ridiculous on me!

So, am I alone in thinking this ring is so over the top & gaudy or are you drooling over it?

10 comments:

Joey said...

I agree. Way too gaudy for my taste. My own engagement ring is quite simple with a band and inset diamonds (what a lot of people are now using as a the wedding band). So yeah, that's a tad too much in my mind.

aimee said...

i agree. it's not even pretty because it's SO over the top. i'm simple like you.

Amber said...

EW! That ring is gross - and for that price? I'd rather have my man buy me a boat or take me on a round-the-world trip for that kind of money! YIKES!!!

Sometimes (actually most times) simple really is better!

Jess said...

Agreed! That ring is a little too intense for my liking. Not something I could ever imagine wearing...

Kelly said...

Yeah- it's really over the top for me too, but seriously- what do you expect from that show. I was dying laughing at your whole post because last night my fiance got up from the tv and bachelorette happened to come on after and I got SUCKED IN even though I almost never watch the show and have never seen any of this season. You are so right that it is addicting even though you are also right it's COMPLETELY RIDICULOUS that they would get engaged two seconds after she is making out with some other guy! Where do people come up with the ideas for these shows?!

Kelli said...

I totally agree Lisa. It was definitely gaudy. I could tell from far away and up close it is even worse!!!

qwerkyqook said...

you are too funny. I liked Kipton's ring better. But on an even more ridiculous note...During the finale I was ignoring the smut factor and thinking..would they take me as a bachelorette? seems so freaking efficient. Allow me to operate in this alternative reality, just for a bit :)

Abby said...

Agreed!!!! I also hate that bachelor, but find myself watching it every free Monday I get.

I cannot believe that ring was $60,000...what a waste of money. That could be a good chunk of a down payment on a gorgeous home.

And the reason I am so shocked at the price of the ring...is that it looks like gaudy and tacky that it looks cheap. It reminds me of the fake looking diamonds that some 78 year old woman draped in fake jewelry and shawls would wear!

Anonymous said...

agreed. not a pretty ring. not at all. wonder how long this engagement will last?

Amber @ A Little Pink in the Cornfields said...

Omg, omg, omg! I thought the same thing too!!! I was supportive of them as a couple but absolutely HATED that ring! Yuck, yuck!! :)