Friday, July 31, 2009

Sometimes running isn't fun

Good morning & happy Friday! Another week has come & gone. I heard on the news today that we never broke 90 in July. This is a rarity. I really hope August has some good weather up her sleeve!

The cooler weather hasn't been great for my weekends at the cabin, but it has been nice for running. A few posts back, I talked about why I run . A few of your asked how I got into running and how I've stuck with it. For someone who is thinking about getting into running or back into running, it's important to know this: most days I love my runs and get a little runner's high afterwards, but sometimes my runs just really, really suck. Like all the runs I've done this week. Especially last Saturday when I gave up at 2 miles. I just couldn't keep going. I am blaming the fact that I had donated blood the day before, but who knows. None of my runs this week have been particularly enjoyable - I've had to really push through and tell myself not to give up and walk. I tell you this because if you are going to try to get into running, this is going to happen to you, and you shouldn't give up or think that runs like this mean you are not a runner or will never be a runner.

I'll start my 1/2 marathon training the Monday after Abby's wedding. I finalized my little training grid this week and am excited to start training (I love me some spreadsheets!). I get butterflies in my stomach when I look at the schedule and wonder - can I really start stretching my weekend runs to 7, then 8, then 9 miles, and so forth until my longest training run, which will be 12 miles the week before my 1/2.

But I did it before, and I can do it again. Hal Higdon won't let me down! He got me through my first half & full marathons, so I am sure when October 31st rolls around, I'll be ready to rock this 1/2.

Does anyone have any big plans for the weekend? One of my best friends from college is getting married on Saturday - I'm so excited to see my college girlfriends. We are sort of spread out now, so don't get to rendezvous nearly as much as we'd like. Other than that, I need to finalize my maid of honor speech, shop for my sister's bachelorette party, and start packing - I'll be heading up to my parents cabin on Thursday morning for Abby's wedding weekend festivities. I can't wait!!! All 7 of my mom's siblings & all 3 of my dad's siblings will be there! It's so rare for me to get to see ALL of my aunts & uncles, so I am pumped!

Have a fantastic weekend, everyone!

5 comments:

Amber said...

You're so right. Running isn't always fun and it certainly isn't always easy! But that doesn't mean anyone should give up!! Thanks for that reminder. Even though I haven't ran since Monday I'm going again tonight and heading out for a long run tomorrow and I'm REALLY looking forward to getting that runners high again!

The Many Thoughts of a Reader said...

August 1st in Michigan: partly couldy and very very windy. Where is my summer?

Kelly said...

I hope the maid of honor speech went well! I am giving my first one in a couple of weeks and I've only heard one. Any advice?

Amber @ A Little Pink in the Cornfields said...

I just found your blog through Amber's (Girl with the Red Hair) and I love it! :) We've read several of the same books and I am just like you -- I have to stop myself from buying armfuls of books every time I go into the library! :)
Hope you're week is starting off great! Can't wait to keep reading your blog!

Anais said...

I am SO with you on this. My last run was super sucky! I had to force myself to do 3 miles. The first one went great, but after that it was like my body was made of lead! Good luck on your training :)