Monday, January 25, 2010

Sunday Night Dinners: Hearty Potato Soup

Happy Monday, everyone! This week is going to be a whirlwind. I have 6 hours of meetings today... Yeesh. Then I am going to work a closing shift in one of my company's stores on Wednesday so I can gain some perspective on what it's like to work in the store! Then Friday we have an off-site team building event and then I am heading to Grand Forks, ND for an annual get together with a bunch of college friends! I am so glad I had a low key weekend as this week is going to wear me down!

Even though we've been experiencing a bit of a warm spell here in the Midwest, I was still in the mood for soup last week. Soup is one of my favorite things to eat. I share that in common with my late Grandpa Rudy. I think we also shared a love for saltine crackers - something I can no longer eat since they are of course not gluten free. Alas, soup is still a wonderful meal, even though I can't flood the soup with crackers any longer!

I went the slow cooker route this week so I don't have any pictures of the process for you! Here is the recipe, which is my dear mom's!

6 potatoes, peeled & cut into bite-size pieces (I used Yukon Gold)
1 onion, chopped
1 carrot, pared & sliced (I used 2)
1 celery stalk, sliced
4 chicken bouillon cubes
1 T. dry parsley flakes (optional, but I included them)
5 c. water
1 T. salt
pepper to taste
1/3 c. butter
1 can skim evaporated milk

Put all ingredients, except evap. milk, into crock pot. Cover & cook on low 10-12 hours or on high 3-4 hours. Stir in evap. milk during the last hour. If desired, mashed spuds some before serving.

* To make this GF, I used 3 cups of GF chicken broth & 2 cups of water instead of the bouillon cubes/5 cups of water combo.

** If you are meat eater, you could definitely add some bacon or ham to this - I'm not a huge fan of bacon or ham so I opted to leave that out.

It turned out great! Here is the finished product!

Oh, it was delicious! When I make it again, I will probably add a few more stalks of celery and more carrots! Can't get enough of my veggies!

Here is the obligatory photo of the leftovers, which I enjoyed all of last week!


Do you like soup? Are you the kind of person who puts in tons of soup, like I used to? What is your favorite kind of soup?

16 comments:

Kelly said...

Wow that potato soup looks delicious! I love your leftovers pictures, I really wish I was your next door neighbor so I could steal some of the leftovers :)

Kyla Roma said...

Oh beautiful! That looks completely tasty. I'm trying to be better in the "making non-veg food for Mister" category so I'll print this one out for the coming weeks =)

Amber said...

I am definitely a BIG fan of soup and since I loved your beef stew I'm sure I'll love this recipe as well! Can't wait to try it :)

Your week sounds crazy lady! Hope it goes by quickly for you and doesn't wear you down TOO much!! XO

Mandy said...

I am a big fan of soups, especially ones that I can make in the crockpot. This sounds really easy and simple, usually potato soup seems to take forever.

You do have a busy week. I hope you have a great one and the weekend comes quickly so you can enjoy some time with your college friends.

Carolina John said...

You should try growing your own celery in a garden. I grew some from seed a couple of years ago, it ended up being the best thing I pulled out of the garden that year. the taste was completely different than regular celery from the grocery store.

i love soup.

Nora said...

Definitely sounds like an amazing soup! My favorite thing about soup is that it can be modified to fit someone's personal health needs (ex: i can't have carrots or celery but can easily leave it out!).

Favorite soup? Taco soup... I still owe you that recipe =) and broccoli cheddar soup, so NOT healthy, but so yummy, from Panera.

Abby said...

Oh yum! That looks delicious, Lisa!! I am going to have to tey that. I am on a huge "soup kick" lately!!

I have never put crackers in my soup. The soggyness of something that shpuld be crunchy weirds me out!

Have great week!! Good luck with the closing shift. That is interesting!!

Becky said...

Mmm that soup looks good! And holy cow, good luck with your crazy week!

Unknown said...

Potato soup is one of my favorites. Thanks for posting the recipe! I'll have to give it a try!

Leigh said...

Your soup recipe sounds delicious! My favorite soup is chicken noodle soup...you can't go wrong with it and it always makes me feel better/warm!

Allison Blass said...

I'm not a big soup person, but Erik used his slow cooker this weekend to make Carolina Pulled Pork. And since we have a slow cooker now, maybe I will try this recipe. It sounds yummy!

Little Fish said...

Looks delish! I looooooove soup. I don't think there's anything better on a nasty day.

Nicole said...

Potato soup is my favorite! Especially when it's think and creamy with lots of cheese. Mmmm..

Anonymous said...

That looks SO GOOD! Potato soup is by far, my favorite soup EVER. (I'm becoming partial to knoephle soup as well...)

You have one crazy week lined up! 6 HOURS of meetings in one day! Wow. I complain when I have 3 hrs of meetings! :P

The Many Thoughts of a Reader said...

I made a delicious crock pot soup last week as well. It was a White Chicken Chilli which was sooooo dang good and I had it all week long too, which is a feat with my hubby and I fighting for the leftovers. I was going to document and post it but the construction on my kitchen was in full force and the mess did not need to be recorded. Next time. My favorite soup to make is my homemade potato soup recipe. It is sooooo good and I love it. But it takes forever to make and I only make it on snow days or the weekend.

Anais said...

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm that looks good!!!!!!!!!! It remind me of the most amazing soup I ever had, in France. It was a potato soup but so perfectly velvety... yum.!