Friday, February 26, 2010

He Sleeps in a Storm

Hello, friends. It's Friday. Yea. I am sure we are all breathing a collective sigh of relief that another week has come to an end. I am happy to say that this one has been heaps better than the last few weeks. That is progress!

I am working a half day and then fly out around 2:30 for Phoenix. I will be visiting my best friend and my sister! Can't wait to see these lovely ladies - and their husbands, of course! The great part about my friend & sister's husbands is that they know me really well - so I am completely myself around them. I love it when you get to the point where you don't edit what you say in front of a friend/sibling's spouse!

Before I take off for the weekend, I want to leave you with something to ponder. I am currently reading "Have a Little Faith" by Mitch Albom. I love his writing. I'm about half through the book and have tagged many passages. He has an incredible ability to really make you think about your life and what you value most. Today I want to share a short excerpt with you - it really made me think; hopefully it makes you think, too! It is from a sermon that was given by the Rabbi that Albom introduces us to in the book:

A man seeks employment on a farm. He hands his letter of recommendation to his new employer. It reads simply, 'He sleeps in a storm.'

The owner is desperate for help, so he hires the man.

Several weeks pass, and suddenly, in the middle of the night, a powerful storm rips through the valley.

Awakened by the swirling rain and howling wind, the owner leaps out of bed. He calls for his hired hand, but the man is sleeping soundly.

So he dashes off to the barn. He sees, to his amazement, that the animals are secure with plenty of feed.

He runs out to the field. He sees the bales of wheat have been bound and are wrapped in tarpaulins.

He races to the silo. The doors are latched, and the grain is dry.

And then he understands. 'He sleeps in a storm.'

My friends, if we tend to the things that are important in life, if we are right with those we love and behave in line with our faith, our lives will not be cursed with the aching throb of unfulfilled business. Our words will always be sincere, our embraces will be tight. We will never wallow in the agony of 'I could have, I should have.' We can sleep in a storm.

And when it's out time, our good-byes will be complete. (p. 93)

I think this really sums up how we should live our lives. Don't you?

15 comments:

qwerkyqook said...

What a good message to end the week with. Thanks Lisa! Have a safe trip:)

Amber @ A Little Pink in the Cornfields said...

I have not read his books, but they do sound very thought provoking!
Have a great weekend!! Arizona would be lovely right now... this cold weather is depressing!

I'maNolaGirl said...

HAve a fun time this weekend!!!

Mandy said...

That's a beautiful passage, Lisa. Thanks for sharing. It is a great way to strive to live life.

Have a safe flight and enjoy yourself.

Abby said...

What a beautiful message, Lisa! Very inspiring. I definitely agree that is how we should live our lives!!

I am soooo sooo soo beyond pleased to hear that your week was better! We all have bad days now and then, but for a while it was becoming "a norm" -- and you don't deserve that!!

Can't wait to see you! Have a safe flight! Love ya!!

Nora said...

What a powerful message.

I remember when I read the book/watched the movie "the Seven People you Meet in Heaven." My life was literally changed. My dad made me read/watch it as I was going through a really rough time in my life and it helped me. A lot. I have Mitch to thank for that, I guess.

I hope you have a safe flight & excellent trip =)

Anais said...

Have a great trip Lisa!!! It sounds like it's going to be so much fun!

I wish I was somewhere warm right now too :) But I'm glad at least one of us will be enjoying warm weather ;)

Emily Jane said...

That's a lovely excerpt, thanks for sharing! And I haven't forgotten about the book - I just can't FIND it!! :( I'm going to search through my closet this weekend and hopefully there'll be a package on the way to you soon :) Have a wonderful weekend!!

Nicole said...

Ah, what a wonderful passage. I'll need to get a copy of that book.

Have a great weekend and enjoy your trip!

Sarah said...

That was a great quote - really inspiring. Thank you for sharing!

Marlys said...

Beautiful quote, Lisa! Thanks for sharing and have a great trip to AZ! Wish I could join you!

Amber said...

Beautiful passage.

Have a fabulous time with your friend/sister and their husbands! My close friends go through boyfriends a lot, hehe, so I'm not like that with any of their S.O. as most of them are single anyways. BUT a lot of my friends are like that with Eric. They act the same way in front of him as they would in front of me! I love it!

Have so much fun and relax! You deserve it :) XO

Carolina John said...

this makes me glad to have you as a friend, Lisa. Have a great weekend!

Kelly said...

That is DEFINITELY a great point. In fact, I feel like this came at good time for me because I've really been having one of those weeks where I'm just like there is NO way there is enough time in the day for me to do everything I should be doing and still have ANY time for enjoyment! I need things like this to remind me that I don't need to do "everything" all the time as long as I do the important things.

Have an awesome time in Phoenix, I am so jealous!

Kyla Roma said...

This is so beautiful! I've never read any Mitch Album, I'm going to have to get a recommendation from you on where to start!

Have an amazing time, and a safe trip!