Monday, May 16, 2011

Back on the Grid

10k training commences today!  I took the month of April and the 1st 1/2 of May off from being on a specific training schedule and just focused on getting a decent number of runs in, building up my mileage, and improving my pace. 

I tend to sort or 'crave' schedules - it's how I am built, I guess you could say.  So I am happy to be back on a training plan.  I don't have high expectations for this 10k.  I am running it with Nora and her fiance when I visit them in July.  I want to have fun... and I don't want to puke like I did during the 10 mile run.  Not puking is always a good race goal.  Ha.

I've following Hal Higdon's intermediate plan and tweaked it to add in some hill work outs.  This will be the first time that I will have 'focused workouts', meaning speed work, hill runs, tempo runs, etc.  I want to introduce these into my training as I know I'll need to incorporate those kind of workouts in my training plan for my half if I want to achieve a sub-2 hour half.

Do you have any race plans for the summer?  This is my only summer race - I think.  I might do a 1/2 in August, but we'll see...  This fall?  TBD... but I'll likely be heading west to do a 1/2 marathon in the Seattle/Portland/Victoria, BC area hopefully!

14 comments:

abbi said...

Have fun with the new schedule. It's nice to have something to follow, I agree. But, also nice to have a break once in awhile too!

J said...

I enjoy a schedule too! Although right now I am enjoying the break but I am finding it hard to decide what to do each day since I don't have a schedule!! Good luck with the 10k training! I am sure you will do great!

Marlys said...

Your life is full of schedules right now! I'm sure it helps to be focused, though. And running is a good diversion from studying for hours, right? It looks like we are going to have some nice weather this week so that will be great for running!

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you're going to have an amazing time training for this- you're going to rock this! I have a love/hate relationship with schedules- I love having them, but I also love breaking them ;)

Abby said...

Yay for racing! I have "race fever" right now. But its sooo not race season in Tucson right now. I need to wait for fall!

Good luck, Lisa! I'm glad you're back on the grid!

I do have one little fun race coming up - if I can get that Saturday off. It's just a 5K on June 4. Called the "Meet Me Downtown 5K" -- it has live music, and then food/drink stands afterwards. It's a night run, and kind of a street fair. So Ryan & I might do it with a few other couples we know!

Leigh said...

Not puking after a race is a really great goal! One that I should write down for my half, haha.

Good luck with the 10k training! You will rock it!

I have my half in two weeks, a tentative triathlon in July and then another half in September :)

Nora said...

Yay!

I started two weeks ago, but that's only cause I wanted to have extra time given all the craziness of this summer in the next few weeks. So far, so good. I'm totally loving it. After the July 10k I'm hoping to do the Halloween 10k here in STL as well.

Can't wait to race in July, mostly cause it means I'll get to see you :)

Amber said...

Awesome! I haven't been on an actual training schedule since the marathon! I have just kind of been doing 2 - 3 runs during the week and then a long weekend run. With this trail run I am aiming for 1 - 2 trail runs during the week and then a long trail run on the weekend (which I usually do with friends anyways).

The next time I really train and follow the plan will probably be for the fall half, which hopefully I will see YOU for!!!! :D

Lisa-Marie said...

Good luck with your new schedule!x

Kelly (She Wears a Red Sox Cap) said...

I think blogger just ate my comment, but the basic idea was:

1. don't puke
2. I'm on a 5K forever racing schedule at the moment because every time I push it beyond that my body rebels. I've got 2 5Ks on the agenda end of May/beginning of June.

Becky said...

"Not puking is always a good race goal." Hahahaha I love you!

I'm not a runner but I'm starting an exercise challenge for myself (starting today!) to get me back into the habit of exercising - I guess I crave schedules too! (Brain twin!)

Anais said...

That sounds like a great plan! I also love schedules but I'm lOoking forward to not havIng any once the half marathon is done in 2 weeks! I plan tO race a lot this summer though because ive never been able to enjoy a summer of running, injury-free!

Gracie said...

When my leg heals I'll have more concrete plans. I do have a few goals to work on but no races on the radar.

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said...

No race plans for me ... but I am going to try just running for fun to see if I can learn to enjoy it.