Monday, March 18, 2013

It Was the Best of Times

Today marks the start of my final three weeks in Minneapolis.  It's hard to believe that just over 2 months ago, I found out about my relocation and now I am just weeks away from making the actual move...  I'm losing a couple of days this week due to a trip to Charlotte and then will be out of town for about a day for Easter, so it feels like I have even less time.  My calendar is filling up with lunches and I'm trying to see friends one last time before my move without making my schedule too intense.  All of this would be so much easier if I didn't have to find 18 hours a week to study for the CFA, but so it goes.

I did have a great opportunity to see a lot of friends and family this weekend, though, as my friends threw a going away party for me on Saturday night.  The wife of my previous boss was really good about taking pictures of everyone throughout the night so I can't wait to get those pictures from her!  In total, about 30 people came to the party and while I didn't get to spend as much time with each guest as I would have liked, it was still really awesome to have so many people in one place at the same time.

My friends surprised me with a "Minnesota Memories" scrapbook which I will be adding to when I get the photos from the party and they also gave each attendee a note card with an addressed envelope with my new mailing address so I will likely be getting quite a few notes in the mail after my move which will really brighten my day!  Additionally, I also received a 3-month "macaroon of the month" subscription! Clearly my friends know me well!

I am proud to say that I set aside the tears and sadness for a night and just soaked up the time with family and friends.  It really was the best of times and it was a good reminder of the many friendship my life has been blessed with over the last 10 years I've lived in Minneapolis.  The reprieve from those feelings of sadness was short-lived as the sadness returned yesterday as the finality of this move started to sink in a bit more, which I suppose is to be expected.

I hope to see some of these friends again before my move, but if that doesn't happen, at least I will have the memories of that evening to reflect back on over the months to come as I start this new chapter of my life in Charlotte.

21 comments:

Kelly (She Wears a Red Sox Cap) said...

I'm so glad that your party went so well :) It's great that someone took pictures for you, it's so hard to remember to take pictures at your own party. I can't believe how close your move is either, it went by fast for me so I can only imagine how it went by for you.

Jeanie said...

I'm so glad that between all the stress of packing, purging and moving, along with the CFA, that you are making a point to gather with friends for parties, lunches and farewells. You will not regret a single moment of that time. Not one.

It does seem like a very fast three months. I wish you didn't have the CFA to add to the mix, but I guess it's what it is and I admire you doing it all so well. Hang tough, Lisa. You can.

Becky said...

That sounds like a great party - and three month "macaroon of the month?" Divine.

Enjoy these last few weeks - don't worry about how the move will go (easier said than done I know), or what it will be like when you get to Charlotte. One step at a time my friend.

Anonymous said...

Aw, the scrapbook sounds so lovely! Making the most of these last weeks will make them even fonder memories, and the macaroon subscription sounds like a heavenly way to make the move a little easier.

You're doing great, Lisa! We're cheering you on! xo

Gracie said...

What a nice party, especially the scrapbook. And the fact that you could just enjoy seeing friends and not be sad or worried. You're looking at this the right way! Enjoy these weeks of lunches before the big move - so much excitement is coming your way soon!

Abby said...

What a thoughtful going away party! You are blessed with great friends. And in this world, it is easy to stay in touch with each other. Coming to the end is tough, though! I completely understand. I still get a little weepy eyes when I think back to my last weekend at the lakes. It was a cold open fishing weekend and I had pneumonia!

I can't believe you've been in Minneapolis 10 years! Time flies!

Unknown said...

Sounds like you had a fun gathering. Macaroon of the month? Perfect!!!!

Hope you are getting rest despite your schedule.
Take care.

Marlys said...

I am so happy you had a fun, friend & family filled party! Such thoughtful gifts you received, too! Moving is always a huge event in one's life and I pray that all goes as well as it can inspite of it not being on your bucket list of lifetime events, but who knows, it may turn out to be exactly that! My prayers are with you daily, and sometimes more than once a day! I am excited to spend Easter with you!

Caroline said...

I'm glad you enjoyed your party! That's so sweet that your friends made you a scrapbook. I brought a lot of scrapbooks and photos with me to CT and that helped a lot. Keep your head up, I have faith this will all work out!

Amber said...

So thoughtful!!! I'm so glad your going away party was so great, you certainly deserve it. These next three weeks will fly by so I hope you are able to live in the moment as much as possible. Thinking of you!

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks said...

That's so wonderful to have a final hurrah with so many of your friends. Your recap of it reminds me of a wedding ... where you never have enough time to catch up with everyone in any sort of quantitative way, but the fact everyone was there to support you is what means the most. And I love that the hosts put together pre-addressed cards, so you will have a mailbox full of love.

Stephany said...

I am so glad you had a wonderful going away party - and awesome that you had someone to take pictures for you. That's something that I always don't do enough of.

I second Becky's advice of just enjoying these next 3 weeks. Living fully in the moment of the here and now. SO easier said than done, but I hope you can soak up as much time with family and friends as you can before your move.

Nora said...

This post gave me goosebumps and made me all teary-eyed. You have such amazing friends! Glad the night was so fun and full of amazing memories. Excited to see some of the photos when you get them. And when you get a chance I'd love your new address, too! xo

missris said...

I love that you had a nice going away party, and I think focusing on the positive instead of being sad is a great way to spend your last three weeks in your city :)

Kyria @ Travel Spot said...

That's cool that you had such a rousing going away party; it just goes to show how much you are loved and will be missed! I love that your friends made self addressed envelopes for people to send you notes in. I am totally going to steal that idea someday!

This just shows that the next year will be over before you know it!

Linda said...

You have sweet friends! I hope they can manage to visit you and make your new town more full of sweet memories like the ones you have here.

Lauren @ Sassy Molassy said...

Ah, your party sounds so fun. And great that you'll have a photo book of memories. And macaroon of the month club?! Awesome idea!! Enjoy the next few weeks.

Shoshanah said...

I love the idea of giving guests already addressed envelope. Such a great idea for a going away party. And it does give you something to look forward to for when your in Charlotte.

And I'm definitely going to have to look more into this macaroon of the month club!

San said...

You're so brave, my friend.

So happy to know you leave Minneapolis with wonderful memories of friends and family.

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said...

I'm excited for you, and proud of you. Good things are to come!

Elizabeth said...

Both of these get togethers sound amazing. I'm so glad to hear of the wonderful support you've had from everyone :)