Monday, November 16, 2015

10 Days of Thanksgiving: Day 3

First off, I can't start this post without recognizing the horrible tragedy that happened in Paris on Friday evening. It is heartbreaking to hear of terrorist activity in any part of the world but I was particularly saddened to hear that Paris was attacked as a piece of my heart resides in that beautiful and precious city.  My thoughts and prayers are with all of those impacted by the acts of hatred.

Paris, je t'aime

******

Today I am thankful that I was able to attend and be a part of my friend Alli's wedding.

I met Alli through blogging 5+ years ago.  I can't remember exactly when we met, but we quickly bonded over shared interests and the shared experience of feeling like we were perpetually single.  We had many conversations about how frustrating dating could be and we'd encourage each other by saying that some day we'd meet up and go to dinner with our amazing husbands by our sides and we would look back on those tearful times of frustration and loneliness and say to each other - "but look - it all turned out!"

Alli met her soul mate in September of 2013 and they were married on November 8th. I met Chris when I went to New York to help celebrate her birthday in December of 2013. The funny thing is that when I booked my ticket for that trip in August, I said - "just wait - you are going to have someone special in your life to celebrate your birthday with and are going to wish I wasn't coming!"  Of course Alli was still glad that I came for her birthday weekend as I got to meet Chris.  I immediately sensed that these two had something special and knew that wedding bells were in their future.

Alli and her parents, walking down the aisle
I am so glad that I was able to attend Alli's wedding.  There's nothing like seeing one of your closest friends marrying someone who truly loves and appreciates them.  Also, this wedding was the first Jewish wedding I have attended and I thought that the Jewish ceremony was so very beautiful.  I love that the parents stand with the couple under the huppah and I loved the explanation of the meaning and significance of the huppah.


Aside from attending the wedding, I had the honor of giving a blessing, which I wrote, during the ceremony.  This is the blessing I wrote:

We offer up a prayer of thanksgiving to God for orchestrating the chance meeting that brought Allison and Chris together.  We ask God to watch over these two as they begin their 
married lives together. 

Allison and Chris, may your hands be forever joined in friendship and your hearts be forever joined in love. May the times of laughter outweigh the times of sadness. May your love for each other grow each day, and may you always remember how very blessed you are to have found each other.


With the newly married couple!  Isn't Allison stunning?

While our time with Allison was limited since she had a room to work, I was glad that she finally got to meet Phil after hearing about my special guy for years!

My handsome date and I
Alli's wedding also gave me the opportunity to reconnect with some of my favorite people.  I hadn't seen Becky and Mandy in over two years so we were well overdo for a reunion!  It was wonderful to spend time with them and introduce Phil to them as well!  Our little table had so much fun!  And you can't tell in the photo below, but Becky, Mandy and I are all wore shades of blue!  So funny that we coordinated like that!



URL turned IRL friends!
What are you thankful for today?

16 comments:

Jeanie said...

Isn't it wonderful when your blog friends become your real friends? It's such a beautiful feeling to know that these online connections aren't simply cyber-air! I was thinking about Diana the other day and so grateful that we could visit in the fall, Christmas shop and lunch and feel as though we had known each other forever, even though it had only been a few years through blogging. Of course, that visit means all the more to me now. I have the wheat she gave me from Nora's wedding on a vase on my table, along with some of those prickly round things that fall from trees that I picked up on her lawn during that time. She's always there. And that never would have happened without the blog.

The wedding looks beautiful and so does Alli. A special time for everyone.

Marlys said...

Reuniting with good friends is so great, and to share in her special day was even greater. I'm glad Phil could accompany you and meet your friends. It sounded like a great day and she looks beautiful!

Nora said...

What a beautiful blessing you wrote; so special and fantastic words you wrote.

Definitely thankful for my URL turned IRL. I don't know what I do without you girls!

xo

Stephany said...

What a special post, and look how far the two of you have come in the past few years!

I'm still in the (very) frustrating phase of dating and I'm going to hold on to these words: "We had many conversations about how frustrating dating could be and we'd encourage each other by saying that some day we'd meet up and go to dinner with our amazing husbands by our sides and we would look back on those tearful times of frustration and loneliness and say to each other - "but look - it all turned out!""

Linda said...

I love that you positively jinxed her by visiting her for her birthday. :) Awww.

Abby said...

What a beautiful wedding - she looks gorgeous!!

It is such a great feeling to see your friends and loved ones filled with joy and blessings :)

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said...

Awwwe, what a sweet message for your friend :-) I love weddings - so fun, and so much love.

Mandy said...

I am so happy we were all able to be there for Alli's wedding. Definitely a highlight of the past year for me--seeing Alli get married, seeing you and Becky. I'm so glad I was finally able to meet Phil. Such a wonderful weekend.

Mandy said...

I am so happy we were all able to be there for Alli's wedding. Definitely a highlight of the past year for me--seeing Alli get married, seeing you and Becky. I'm so glad I was finally able to meet Phil. Such a wonderful weekend.

Leigh said...

The internet is such a funny thing but also a good thing! You were able to meet such a good friend and be there to help celebrate her wedding. I'm also glad it brought you into my life! :)

Kyria @ Travel Spot said...

How fun that you got to be a part of her special day AND see friends who you have not seen in a long time! I feel like I need to make more time for stuff like that, but often what brings friends together is special occasions like this! I just went to my cousin's wedding a few weeks ago and I saw family that I had not seen in years as well (in fact, half the time, I was thinking, "who is this tall young man?"). It's fun!

I also agree with Leigh -- thank goodness for internet friends. It's been fun getting to know people online and sometimes the connections are even closer, as you eventually get to know a lot about the person!!

Charis Faith said...

I loved all the pictures from the wedding! Such a fun event! y'all looked gorgeous!!!

Kelly (She Wears a Red Sox Cap) said...

I just loved following this wedding via social media- and I didn't know you gave a blessing. That is so special! It's crazy really how many wonderful friends we have made through blogging, and I feel like you are right in the center of it. I hope you plan to have like 6 tables of bloggers at your wedding someday, ha ha!

Amber said...

Alli looked absolutely stunning! I'm so glad you could all be there to celebrate her special day with her and the blessing you wrote is beautiful! So cool to be able to look back at how far you both have come. I'm so happy for both of you!

The Many Thoughts of a Reader said...

Aww. That is so awesome!

Alli said...

Well this made me cry! I am so thankful for our friendship and it meant so much to me and Chris to have you at our wedding and especially to give us such a beautiful blessing. I will cherish it (and our friendship) always.