Monday, May 18, 2020

Filling My Cup

Saturday morning was one of the best mornings I've had since we started social distancing on March 13th. Why? Paul and I had social plans. Phil and I talked it over and now that Paul is back in daycare, we have decided to expand our 'circle' to include 2 families whose kids go to the same daycare as Paul. We figure they are all exposed to the same things, so we aren't really increasing our risk of getting/giving COVID-19. These decisions are not easy to make and we don't take them lightly, but we have to balance risk and reward. The risk of one of us giving or getting COVID to/from these families is small, but the benefit of some social time is honestly huge. Even though I am an introvert, I have struggled with the lack of contact with others. Yes, Zoom and FaceTime helps, but it's just not the same.

So on Saturday morning, Paul and I went over to our friends' house for a play date. On Friday night, I told Paul we were going to see his buddies, Gus and Leo, on Saturday morning. From the moment he woke up on Saturday, he asked to go over there over and over so clearly we were both excited! We got to our friend's house around 9 and I donned a mask to get coffee and treats for my friend and me. The coffee shop had a great set up with lots of markings for where to stand. They had the chip reader on a table 6'+ from the counter so everyone was keeping a safe distance away.

For our play date, we decided to stay outside/not enter the house. The boys played out front for awhile and then we went to the backyard of a family 2 houses down (who also go to our daycare) so the kids could play on their swing set. Paul was in HEAVEN. He loves swinging so much! Their swing set also had a ladder on either end. I never thought Paul would be able to or be brave enough to climb the ladder, but he figured it out! He could get to the top, I'd help him down, and he'd repeat the process!




The kids had a blast and us adults had a great time catching up, too - from a distance, of course. We were there for 2.5 hours and the time just flew by! It clearly wore Paul out because he napped for 2 hours and 15 minutes that afternoon which is the longest nap he has taken since December!!

And I felt lighter and happier than I have in 2 months. This COVID stuff has been so hard. I barely leave the house besides going for walks and that really starts to wear on a person after awhile. I fully believe in social distancing and doing our part to flatten the curve. And I think our family has done our best to hold up our end of the deal. But we can't live like this forever and need to find ways to take appropriate and measured risks.

Minnesota is starting phase 1 of our reopening today. In general, this won't change much for us. We'll still social distance, work from home, avoid groups of people, and stick to take-out even when restaurants re-open on June 1st. But I plan to continue to have these outdoor play dates with these 2 families from Paul's daycare since it fills my and Paul's cup tremendously!

How was your weekend? Is your state starting to re-open/relax the rules? How do you feel about it?

8 comments:

Jeanie said...

Oh, this looks just wonderful! I know the kids were so happy to be together.

We're gently opening but it seems like people are acting like it's already open. I don't like going out there and don't plan to.

Grateful Kae said...

So happy to hear!! It sounds like it was a great morning. We had a similar play date the other day as well. I have felt surprisingly okay with being isolated from people- I'm not really super "social" on a good day :) - but I think it also helps that my kids are older. They are able to have real conversations and stuff, plus of course my husband, so I feel like I still get a lot of social time just with my own family. But I know it's not the same and I have found myself talking a bit too enthusiastically and excitedly when I run into a neighbor outside getting the mail at the same time as I am, for example. ;)

Gracie said...

Today is the first work-day of phase one. David's work unexpectedly delayed reopening the building, but he is fine with that, now that he has an elaborate work-from-home setup. Nothing changes for me at work, except perhaps the halls in the building are busier, and now the stairs are either "up" or "down". But Sunday I got to go on our group long run! We have to limit groups to ten and stay 6 feet apart, but that's easy to do given our pace variety. It made a big difference to have people to pull me along: I finished 14 miles with a 6:56 mile, much faster than I would be able to manage on my own. And seeing everyone lifted my spirits! I am definitely on team "open up safely". On one hand, I work with transplant / oncology patients so I know how vulnerable some populations are. On the other hand, people NEED interaction. And jobs. And money. So I feel like we need to have a balance.
The other evening we chatted with a few of our neighbors and my baby was fascinated. Poor kid, he obviously needs some socialization! We are starting a nanny-share tomorrow as a stop-gap measure until our daycare (hopefully) reopens, and I am glad he will have other people around. There's added risk in admitting others to our circle, but we decided it was best for us. And we have to have childcare. He requires too much attention at this age to continue staying with dad!

Stephany said...

I am so glad you got to have this play date! I think it makes a lot of sense to start gradually releasing some of your restrictions, as long as you do it smartly, which I know you're doing! Our mental health is extremely important, and even the most introverted introvert (*cough* me *cough*) needs PEOPLE.

katielookingforward said...

Way to go Paul! Thats a tall ladder! I think your decision to include other friends is a good one. It really feels good to communicate and see other people. I am really getting tired of screen time and video chats.

San said...

California is slowly opening up (county by county), but I don't think I'll go anywhere for a while. I understand that everyone's situation is different and I understand why you guys decided to include 2 families into your "circle" of people you'll interact with... and everybody has to find their own comfort level with taking measured risks.
I am sure if I had family or "closer" friends close by (or a kid in daycare ;)), I'd contemplate this more, but as of right now we're not ready to "meet up" with other people.

That's so great that Paul was brave enough to climb that ladder!

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said...

I haven't minded having to stay home (other than not being able to see my mom), and I am enjoying having nothing on my calendar for the foreseeable future. I know I am not in the popular opinion on this, but I don't even mind that all events (concerts, exhibitions, etc.) have been canceled. I feel like I have been go-go-going for about 30 years, so during this time I feel like I have reconnected to 7-year-old Jolene. (I know this would not be the case if we had children. I know how different this quarantine would be with children to keep busy, happy, and entertained. I don't know how my sister is doing this with two teens, a toddler, and a brand new baby!)

Usually, I want to go to social gatherings, and I think I have quite a bit of FOMO when it comes to gatherings with friends. This way I don't feel the FOMO, as I know that I am not missing anything. It's allowed me to stop and smell the flowers more, and I've been doing a lot of that.

Amber said...

Paul looks so bit playing on that playground equipment! I'm glad it's worked out to have social plans with other moms on the weekend. I've started doing stroller running dates with my friend on the weekends again and it's definitely been very good for my soul!