Thursday, March 31, 2022

What's Saving My Life Right Now

 Earlier this week on Best of Both Worlds, the hosts shared what is saving their lives right now. I've been on the complaining side lately with all the early wake-ups, cold weather, and other challenges. And while I think it's important to "keep it real" around here, it's also kind of refreshing to think about the good things in my life right now! 

- Our gas fireplace. We converted our wood-burning fireplace to gas in early January and have used it a TON. It's probably been used almost daily since it was installed since we haven't had much warm weather. I've used it every night this week since it's been pretty wintery out there!


- Taking turns getting up with Will. Phil and I trade off morning duties. I did not do this with Paul even though I remember struggling with early wake-ups. I don't know why we didn't trade off, though! But once Will was weaned from breast feeding, we've been taking turns getting up with him. I'm pretty sure I suggested it, so it's a good reminder to ask for what you need instead of assuming your partner knows.

- Magnatiles and this chair, both of which were hand-me-downs from friends. The magnatiles have entertained Paul for HOURS. In this picture, he's building a house for the pound puppy Phil had as a child plus some Paw Patrol characters. He will happily play on his own with magnatiles. It's harder to find things that entertain Will, but he loves this chair. He likes climbing in and out of it and will try to do a somersault off of it with mixed success. 15-month olds are hard to entertain so anything that hold his attention for 5 minutes is a win!



- On that note, Paul's sudden but intense interest in coloring has been wonderful, too. It's another activity he'll happily do without much intervention from us. You can see from the picture below that he has to color EVERY SQUARE INCH of each page! Sometimes he'll ask one of us to color with him but it's an activity I don't mind! So I guess the theme of the last 2 life-saving things is things that captivate our children. 


- The library. I take home about 20 picture books/week and always have 2-3 eBooks checked out for myself. So far of the 27 books I read so far this year, 26 came from the library! I am glad that we have a wonderful library that is only about a mile away. I'm hoping to take Paul there soon. He hasn't been there since pre-covid since his mask adherence isn't great (he will wear it but then will often suck on the part by the mouth and probably touch it so overall, it's not very effective). But masks are no longer required so it feels like a good time to bring him. 

- Buying lunch one/day week now that I'm back to the office. I'm planning to write a post about the pros and cons of being back in the office, but one big pro is the treat of eating out once/week! I also treat myself to a weekly latte on a different day of the week. 

- Skyways walks on days I'm in the office. Since it's so dang cold here in Minneapolis, our downtown area has an awesome skyway system. You can get nearly anywhere without stepping foot outdoors! I try to take a 30ish minute walk at lunch time each day while listening to podcasts or an audiobook. It's very easy to hit 10k steps on days I'm in the office with a walk at lunch and the walk to/from the parking ramp. 

To give you an idea of how extensive the system is, here is a map of the skyway. The red lines are the skyways.

 - This may be controversial to say, but our son's iPad. We bought him a refurbished iPad for Christmas but he only gets to use it during quiet time on the weekends. It's loaded with an educational ap called ABC Mouse and the PBS Kids video and game aps. So I tell myself it's ok for him to have screen time since he only has access to educational things. Letting him have iPad time allows us to rest/get a break when Will takes his mid-day nap. I tried asking Paul to have quiet time in his room with toys but he wasn't great at staying in there. The iPad has solved this! When it's nicer outside, I'd like to do some big kid activities with him while Will naps, like going to a book store or the library or park, but for now, Phil and I need the opportunity to lay down and read/zone out/nap. 

- Hand-me-downs. We have been on the receiving end of so many hand-me-downs. I do not particularly care about whether my kids are fashionably dress. I favor function above all else - does it fit/is it comfortable/can they run around and play? That's all the really matters to me! Will seems to grow out of things so fast so it's nice to pull from the clothes Paul wore and not have to scramble to buy something when he changes sizes. Paul has moved into a new size, too, but I've been able to pull from boxes of stuff friends and my neighbor gave us. We are paying it forward by passing off hand-me-downs to others. In the photos below, Paul is almost 20 months and Will is almost 16 months. The outfit (which was purchased by my MIL in Europe!) was more seasonally appropriate for Paul as he wore it in October, but a shirt with a cat is always in style in this cat-loving house!



- Today is the last day of March which means we are one month closer to reliably good weather!! April may contain some snow but the average temps should be much better.

I could go on and on! Your turn - what's saving your life right now?

8 comments:

Elisabeth said...

I have always been so intrigued by Magnatiles, but I feel like I learned about them when our kids were a bit too old?
No controversy from me on the iPad. My kids use, and love screens and I see them as an important tool in my surviving this crazy ride of parenting (especially when I was solo 50%+ of the time and often functionally solo 95% of their waking hours during the work week). I had to laugh when Laura Vanderkam wrote a few weeks ago about her kids having had "gobs of screentime" over a weekend. Obviously, as I think you can tell from my blog, we do A LOT of non-screen things...there are just a lot of hours to fill.
Hand-me-downs, gas fireplaces, and good walking routes are the best.
Hmm. What's saving my life now?
1) John's sabbatical. I needed this so much. (I still give you a row of gold stars for helping encourage me to pursue this idea with him!)
2) Better sleep. I've really cleaned up my diet the last few weeks and I'm not sure if that's doing the trick but after crummy sleep for months, I've started sleeping like normal again.
3) Our space heater in the office.
4) My hot cup of tea every single morning.
5) CBD oil. Now that I'm off my hormone supplements and any other pharmaceutical (I had a brief 6-week stint on an SSRI but it was truly terrible for me), I've started taking CBD oil. It's not a magic solution, but I think it has helped regulate my natural hormone fluctuations, decreased some joint pain/inflammation and helped with energy levels. I have never consumed a SINGLE recreational drug of any sort ever, but I had 0 hesitation in trying this when someone mentioned it to me. It's now fully legal here in Canada, and I can get it at the liquor store. I was SO impressed with the knowledge of the person who waited on me.

Nicole said...

Even though my kids are teens, I remember the days of entertaining kids while it was too cold to be out and about. It sounds like, weather wise, where you live is similar to where I live. Calgary has "plus 15" walkways downtown, and a lot of great indoorsy stuff to do with kids. Can't imagine how hard it is with little ones in a pandemic - whew!

Jeanie said...

What a great post! Those are wonderful lifesavers. And it goes to show they don't have to be huge things (1 lunch out!) to be really important.

Saving mine right now... that's a good one. My home library of books to read -- I'll never get through the all. Daylight Saving Time -- longer days are my best friend. My friend Cathy, who added me to her one-month HBO Max Trial (and "Julia" starts today!). Puppy pads. I've given up on Lizzie and the litterbox without my intervention, which has become quite an effective schedule. But if I'm at Rick's or elsewhere during our "schedule," it's nice to know I'm covered!

katielookingforward said...

One of my friends does her kiddos screen time in the morning while she is getting ready for work. They watch some 30 minute show and don't get into trouble while she gets ready for the day. I think you just have to find what works for your family. I love working from home, but since I've never worked downtown there are a few places I'd love to check out for coffee or lunch that I never have had the opportunity to try.

Kyria @ Travel Spot said...

I love this list! Also it seems like Will is getting blonder?! Or maybe sometimes he is just on a different light. I have utilized the skywalk a few times and it's so convenient and warm!

I am happy about the weather here. I don't actually love it when it's super hot, but it's been in the 40-70 range lately which is perfect for me. I have a spot in the backyard in the sun where I love to sit and read and could do that all day if the sun didn't move.

I'm also enjoying starting to make plans again. I have all of July and most of the next 6 months booked up already. I have not bought flights yet but ideas are forming and it's fun!

Aly said...

Would you like to be weekend texting buddies for when the weekends get long? Happy to be an outlet for you. I'm in northern IN and some weekends here can move so slow.

Stephany said...

That indoor skyway system is so cool! It would be nice to have something like that in FL for the opposite time of year: when it's so hot that even going for a 10-minute walk means I'm a sweaty mess!

I'm really glad you're treating yourself to lunch out and a latte two of the three days you have to be in the office. I'm sure that is helping the transition to being back in the office part-time!

San said...

Yes, yes, it's so good to focus (and write down) a list of good things, esp. when we're in a phase where we're complaining a lot. Puts things into perspective.


I've heard about the skywalks in Minneapolis (Jon's brother went to school there) and it sounds so cool. I'd love to see it one day.

I also really love your gas fireplace. It looks awesome. We once looked at an apartment (way back) that had a gas fireplace and I've been thinking about it ever since. :) I am so glad you've enjoyed it so much ever since you made the switch.

You know, don't sweat the ipad commment - I think in this day and age, the ipad saves the day so many times over. I am sure it's fine if you use it wisely!