Monday, December 19, 2022

Mexication Recap

Pour yourself a cup of tea or coffee, and settle in for our trip recap! It's a little long but I wanted to document our wonderful vacation so I can look back on this!

We are back from a wonderful 4-night stay in Mexico! We had the absolute best time away and I am so glad we did this. Neither of us really felt a sense of anticipation for the trip. Thanks to covid, it's hard to really look forward to things because there is always a chance that someone will get covid and a trip won't happen. But the stars aligned and everyone stayed healthy!! My body was clearly very ready for a vacation because I got a flare in my right hand the Saturday before the trip. I am not too surprised I got a flare - the pace of life has been really hectic leading up to this trip and the trip to Chicago the week before was so jam-packed. Flares are sadly my body's way of say - 'hey, remember that you have a chronic illness.' I still have the flare a week later despite taking steroids so it's a nasty one. (Flares are when a joint swells up in your body - it's the main symptom of rheumatoid arthritis.)

Before having kids, Phil and I liked to be out and about while we are traveling - our vacations featured tons of hiking and exploring. But we needed something far different from this trip. We just wanted to relax and, honestly, sleep! So Mexico was perfect for us. We stayed at the same resort we went to last time - Valentin Imperial in the Riviera Maya area, just south of Cancun. We really like this resort because the buildings are really spread out so it doesn't feel like this super huge resort. And the beach is amazing there. 

Monday 

Monday was a travel day. I thought we might get to the resort mid-afternoon since we landed around 1, but customs in Cancun was INSANE. It was the longest wait I've had outside of my return to LAX from Australia when I was studying abroad. Several flights must have landed at the same time or something. And they routed flights to different queues. But what REALLY irked this enneagram 1 is that some people in the flight that landed after us cut in our line! So by the time we got to the resort it, was around 4pm. We dropped our bags in our room, grabbed a snack from a restaurant and walked on the beach before grabbing dinner later that night. 

Phil HATES taking posed photos but I was able to convince him to take some pictures on this trip so we could send them to my mom to show the kids!



Tuesday

It was pretty windy while we were in Cancun but the weather was gorgeous - in the 80s and sunny. The humidity felt amazing on our dry Minnesota skin. Even though I could have slept as late as I wanted to, I was up at 6:30 that day, which was actually 5:30 am Minnesota time. I guess I am programmed to be up early. But I felt very rested since I wasn't woken during the night. The boys don't wake us at night all that often, but when you are programmed to listen for kids in the night, it takes away from the restfulness of sleep. 

Enjoying a morning latte on the beach!

I watched the sun rise that day! 



This was the view from the hammock on our patio - we couldn't quite see the ocean but we could hear it. I spent A LOT of time in this hammock, reading and playing spelling bee and wordle! 


On Tuesday, we took an aqua biking class at the pool in the morning which was super fun - we took the class the next day, too. The wind was the lightest on Tuesday so we spent most of the day at the beach. I alternated between swimming in the ocean and reading my book - I read 4 during our trip! 


Each night, we'd have dinner at one of the restaurants around 7 and then we'd get drinks at one of the outdoor bars. It felt really good to not have to plan anything and just wander around and enjoy the warmth. We talked about our kids a lot, of course, but also had lots of great discussions about work, family, friendship, and where we might live when we retire. 

Post dinner photo - Phil did not want to smile!

Wednesday

Wednesday was the windiest day - it was too windy for a morning beach walk so I enjoyed my latte in the hammock. 


Phil made friends with a kitty that we saw by one of the restaurants nearly everyday. 



We saw lots of wild life during our trip. The animal on the left is a "Coati." It's a cross between a raccoon, anteater, and monkey! We also saw lots of iguanas. Paul is obsessed with Wild Kratts so we sent him lots of wildlife photos and he told my mom all about iguanas. Did you know they can run up to 21mph!!



Posing by the Christmas tree on Wednesday night after dinner
Thursday

On Thursday, the winds were calmer so I enjoyed my latte on the beach. I was typically up around 7-7:30 and Phil tended to stay in bed until 8:30-9 each day. But he doesn't drink coffee so that gave me a chance to get a latte at the coffee shop and walk on the beach. 



I took a water aerobics class that morning and then we spent some time at the beach since it was calm enough for some swimming. 


I will never tire of this view!


Last dinner out!
Friday

Friday was another full day of travel, especially since the shuttle company insisted we get to the airport SUPER early. Then our flight was delayed by an hour so we ended up spending almost 4 hours at the airport. BUT - we were not traveling with small children so it was fine! Seeing families with kids at the airport did make me especially miss my kids but I was glad to not be entertaining them in an airport! We landed around 5:30 CST and were home at 6:30 CST. There was a pretty big snowstorm while we were gone so guess what we did shortly after dropping our bags inside? SHOVEL! Woo hoo. Phil snow blowed and I shoveled the sidewalks he can't get to with the snowblower. What a return to reality!

****

And that is a wrap! All in all, it was a fantastic getaway! We came back refreshed and relaxed. I missed the boys but it was not as hard to be away from them as I feared it might be. Nicole's comment (Hi Nicole!) about keeping in mind that the kids are making memories with their grandparents was super helpful! I got lots of pictures and updates on the kids. They slept like champs for my parents and Paul got to help with lots of baking projects. We ended up facetiming with Paul on Wednesday afternoon while Will was sleeping. I feared that Will might get upset seeing us but I knew Paul would handle it ok. Other than that, we just exchanged a lot of pictures and updates!

I feel incredibly lucky that my parents were willing, able, and excited to watch our boys for the week. If not for them, a trip like this never could have happened. If you have young kids and have been on the fence about taking a trip but have someone that would watch your kids, I highly recommend doing something like this. It was really wonderful to get time to reconnect with Phil without interruptions. But I do not take for granted how lucky we were to be able to do this!

I'll be back later this week with some other reflections from the trip!

15 comments:

Kyria @ Travel Spot said...

That looks like an amazing trip! It sounds like it was just what you needed. Sometimes those relaxing vacations are such a blessing, although I have to admit I do not plan them very often. Although even if I am having an active vacation I usually try to have at least one day at the end where I can take it easy or sleep or whatever and it does make coming back to the frenzy not feel as hectic.

I went to Cancun back in the late 90s and really loved it but the first day I was there I broke my finger and so I could not go in the water with it, and the second day I got the worst sunburn on my legs because all I did all day was sit on the beach. Fail! I remember getting a massage and having to tell the lady, por favor don't touch my legs or my finger! Ha.

Nicole MacPherson said...

Hi Lisa!
That looks like such a lovely getaway, and I am sure the kids had a great time with their grandparents. It's so special for them to have that bond AND for you to get away, just the two of you. It's really important to reconnect every so often, without kids!
I loved reading this. I love Mexico and I love a nice resort, and this was just lovely to see. I know exactly what you mean about not really anticipating things. We have a trip in March and after three years of not having a spring break trip, I'm not really expecting to go.
How was the resort itself? It looked lovely! Was it quite full and busy?

Taya Cassens said...

I was anxiously waiting to see this post! The vacation sounds so so amazing and well deserved! So jealous of how much reading you were able to get done! Joel isn’t able to sit still so I don’t think we would ever do a relaxing vacation like this… I would have to go alone 😆

Grateful Kae said...

That looks so relaxing!! How wonderful! So glad you had a great time and the weather was good and everything went smoothly. I'm sure the kids did just fine as well.

I also really like having a little time to myself in the mornings on vacation. Ivan is sometimes up early, sometimes not, but I typically like to carve out a little window to just get a tea and sit by myself like that too. It works out well!

Looks like you didn't even leave the resort? What luxury to have everything at your fingertips! And I never tire of that ocean view either.

Welcome back to reality... we got snow, too, and it looks like a bunch more is forecasted for later this week, which is not good for holiday travelers. Fortunately we are staying put, but we need to time my parents' arrival around the snow.

(Oh, and p.s.- this wasn't a long recap!! Have you ever read my travel recaps?!?! HAHAHA!! THOSE are long. You are much more succinct than I am. ;) loL!!) I thought of you many times this week as I was stressed over getting that swim meet off smoothly and was jealous of you sitting on the beach!! ha.

Elisabeth said...

I am just so happy for you, Lisa! What a wonderful experience and I'm sure it's even more special because we all know how many things can now go wrong with travel/illness!

How great the kids had a fun time with grandparents and all went smoothly on the home front, too. Knowing the kids are thriving and making special memories helps you relax more mentally, too.

The sun and the sand and the water and the morning coffees all sound glorious. You've had such an intense few years and I think it's fantastic you and Phil were able to get away.

Welcome home and I hope you're able to carry lots of those restful vacation feelings through the winter holidays <3

Sarah said...

I agree with you so much about the sense of anticipation not being there anymore because you can't even believe you're really going to go-- this is EXACTLY what our last 2 vacations have been missing, and I couldn't put my finger on it until now.

This trip looks phenomenal, and I am so jealous. We stayed in Mexcio for 10 days at a resort like this on our honeymoon, and I wish we would have stayed longer knowing we'd have all these years of kid-centered trips LOL.

What a great pre-Christmas getaway.

Sarah said...

Also!! THE BEACH LATTE-- this is my idea of perfection. The first cup of coffee is always a high point of my day, and those beach lattes? THE PINNACLE-- how lovely.

NGS said...

Yay! I'm so glad that you were able to get away and relax! And so much time with the hammock and books sounds absolutely delightful. I'm also happy to hear that the boys had a grand time with their grands!

sarah (SHU) said...

YESSS! this is my kind of vac!! so much relaxation, couples time, reading, fitness, and lovely weather. So glad you got to go!!!

San said...

I am so glad you got to do this. The resort and beach views look wonderful! I had no doubt that your boys were just fine with their grandparents. :)

Jenny said...

This trip sounds amazing!!! Relaxing, sipping lattes on the beach and reading all day would be heaven. That post-dinner picture where Phil didn't want to smile is so funny- yes, I can tell he didn't want to be in that picture! I'm glad the kids had such a good time with their grandparents- I think this trip worked out perfectly for everyone. I'm looking forward to more thoughts on the trip this week.

Coco said...

You are not the only one to want relaxing vacation without kids. Hahahah… I fully understand. I used to be the person that want to do so much on vacation exhausting myself to make it worth it. But now I just want to go slow and do things that feel right without rushing even it’s just a day by the beach napping. I guess that’s part of adulting! ��

Anonymous said...

Love Love Love!!!!!! I’m so thrilled that y’all had this getaway!!!! I know the boys adored the memories made with your parents!!!!! What a perfect escape!!!! ❤️
Lori

The Many Thoughts of a Reader said...

I feel as though maybe later in life I may want a explore vacation but at almost 40 doing nothing with a book and a beach or a pool is still far more relaxing! Looks like a great time.

Stephany said...

This sounds like an amazing vacation, Lisa! I'm so glad you carved out the time with you and Phil to take this trip away without the boys. You needed it, I'm sure!

It must have been so nice to have your morning coffee on the beach, no kid responsibilities to worry about!

Phil's expression in photos cracks me up!