Friday, August 11, 2023

Lake Louise + Canmore: days 4 + 5

And just like that, my trip is over! I’m writing this post as I wait to board my flight from Calgary to Minneapolis. Here’s how we spent our final days! 

Day 4: Lake Louise

When I thought about the Banff area, I always thought about Lake Louise. My paternal grandparents had visited this area on a trip when I was a child and had said the area was so gorgeous. So a visit to this area was must. All the online research we did said to get there early! So we left our condo at 6am, made a pit stop in Banff for Starbucks and gas and arrived at the parking lot for Lake Louise around 7:45. We easily got a spot so our early departure was worth it! The parking lot does fill up fast! 


The views were stunning! There is another gorgeous Fairmount hotel that faces this view - I think I might prefer this one over the Banff one since there is so much hiking steps from the hotel!


Arriving early paid off as the board walk in front of the lake was very quiet. So we snapped some pics before heading out to do the Lake Agnes and Little Beehive Trails. One review describes this hike as ‘the Disneyland of hikes.’ That wasn’t really our experience but it had started to lightly rain at the start and the rain came down progressively harder so that probably deterred people from the hike. But even when we thought it might be mobbed with people, we were still willing to do it because it’s obviously busy for a reason! I love quieter, less busy hikes but I wanted to see these views. 

The Lake Agnes hike is about 3km and ends at a tea house. The tea house is only accessible by this trail so the workers all hike everything up each day!! It’s a pretty strenuous hike - not the hardest I’ve done but not a causal stroll either. The views on the way up were gorgeous!!



Mirror lake actually looks better in photos than in person. After seeing Lake Louise, it looked like a pond but the reflections off the lake were beautiful - hence the name Mirror Lake!  


We stopped for tea and treats before continuing onto Little Beehive. The tea house had lots of GF options for me! 

Little Beehive was about 1.5km further. The views were stunning. Pictures do not do this area justice. 




You can see the Fairmount on the left side of this photo. Our parking lot was just behind it so it gives you perspective on how far we had hiked! 

The hike down went much faster but it was steadily raining so we had to be careful with our footing to avoid falling! The hike was 6 miles round trip and took 2.5 hours. I was so glad to have my nice rain jacket! While the rain kept some tourists away, the rain clouds obstructed our views but so it goes! 

We stopped in Banff for lunch at a brewery before returning to Canmore. We were so very tired and opted to lay down when we got back. We had been gone for 8 hours at that point and had 3 busy, active days so rest was what we needed. At the start of the day, we had grand illusions of doing a sunset hike… but we were just so tired from all the hiking and biking. So we ate leftovers and called it an early night. We sure are fun, huh? But Amber (and all the girls I’ve met through blogging and traveled with) and I are so compatible - we prefer early mornings and early evenings! 

Day 5: Leaving Canmore

We were up early so had a light breakfast and then headed out for a short, easy ‘hike’ to a viewing point of the three sisters mountain peaks. I use hike lightly because it was more of a stroll/scramble on a rocky path. We meandered along and found a nice bench to sit on and chatted while taking in the views. You’d think we would have run out of things to talk about after talking for probably 10 hours/day the last 3 days - but nope! 

Three sisters reflection

Wearing my new Banff sweatshirt. It was a chilly morning!


It was so quiet and peaceful out there so was the perfect end to our lovely getaway. 

We grabbed brunch on our way back to the Calgary airport and then it was time to say goodbye! :(  We vowed to not let 6 go by again and will aim for seeing each other every other year! 

Closing thoughts:

This trip was exactly what I needed. It reminded me of who I was before I became a mom. Of course I am still myself as a mom, but some of your wants and desires are sacrificed when raising children, especially when they are young. It was really nice to do something for me! I recognize the privilege I have in being able to go away for 4 nights/5 days. Having a supportive husband who is willing to do more solo parenting is something I will never take for granted. But he will get his time away soon as he’s going on a guys golf weekend in northern Minnesota next weekend! 

10/10 I would recommend coming to this region and I hope to return here with Phil some day! And maybe the kids when they are hearty enough for some hiking! Luckily it’s a short 2.5 hour flight from Minneapolis so very accessible! We only scratched the surface in terms of things to do in this region but since we both have very young kids, 4 days away was as much time as we could swing. You could easily spend a week plus in this region of Canada. 

16 comments:

Elisabeth said...

I'm just so, so happy for you Lisa. It sounds like an amazing trip and what gorgeous views! I know I've said this before, but I've never been West of Ontario within Canada and I really need to remedy that situation. The mountains are just so majestic!!

I'm thrilled you had such a wonderful time <3

Life of a Doctor's Wife said...

This sounds like such an incredible experience, Lisa. I'm so glad you were able to get away. Your comment about feeling like you recaptured a piece of your pre-mom self really hit my heart. It's so true, isn't it, that we feel we lose some of ourselves when we have children? For what it's worth, I do think that as the kids get older, you find that part of yourself again... or maybe the mom portion just feels more like you and less like you're being forced into a box? Anyway, what a wonderful vacation and chance to reconnect with your friend! Love the photos!

Sarah said...

Oh I love this. I don’t remember who I was before I became a mom, but maybe that’s a 2024 goal to find out. These pictures are incredible and I love your new sweatshirt :)

Jenny said...

This is amazing! The views from those hikes are insanely beautiful. Yes, you're lucky you have a supportive husband- you're obviously supportive of each other. I never got away by myself when my kids were little- it just didn't seem possible- and I regret it. Everyone should have a chance to recharge and remember who they are, and I'm sure you returned home re-energized and ready to be a full-time mom again!

Nicole said...

Yay, you did the Beehive! That is such a special place for me. It's where my husband proposed, it was also one of the first bigger hikes we did together back in 1998, and we went back in 2022 to hike it as well. I love that area so much. The Chateau is lovely to stay in as well but I like the Springs better because it's walkable to the town for dinner, etc., but if you are at the Chateau you are pretty much AT THE CHATEAU. Which is not a bad thing, it's just a thing.
I do get the feeling of "what happened to me" and I do think as the kids get older and you get a bit more space around yourself, you get that part of you back. It's a temporary loss, or it can be temporary. I'm so glad you made this trip!

NGS said...

Yay! I'm so happy for you that you made time for yourself and that you had such a great time. Thanks for sharing your wonderful trip with us!

coco said...

I love all the pics, making me already wanting to book our next summer vacation in Canada!!!
I totally get the feeing of finding myself when traveling alone or with friends, reminds me of who I was, partly still who I am before having responsibilities. I think when kids are older, you'll gradually have more of those times for yourself Having a supporting spouse is definitely important. My husband always took care of the girls when I went on business trip or my running races. I love him so much for that and try to be supportive of his hobbies when I can.

Mom of Children said...

I feel this so hard: "It reminded me of who I was before I became a mom. Of course I am still myself as a mom, but some of your wants and desires are sacrificed when raising children, especially when they are young." Now that R is going to pre-school in September I will have (I hope I wil have) more time to discover myself again. I did a pottery-making class in Poland. Who knew Daria liked pottery? LOL
Thank you for a wonderful rip report, the pictures are absolutely stunning and you look very happy!

San said...

I am so happy for you that you got this time away, Lisa. What a great time with dear friends. And the stunning views were an extra bonus. What a beautiful area in Canada!

Jeanie said...

I can see why that would be a beautiful honeymoon spot and consequently, special for you to visit. The hike looks demanding, perhaps mostly because of the rain (though with or without, it would feel daunting to me!).

I'm so glad you rediscovered your pre-mom self. We are all of our parts, all of our pasts, and we shouldn't let them go or forget them, but sometimes it's hard to find them again. Well done, Lisa.

J said...

Oh my goodness, what breathtaking views you had on your hike! How nourishing to be able to take a trip like this, I'm so glad for you!

Stephany said...

These views are STUNNING. I need to go there!

I'm so glad you took this time away just for yourself and to reconnect with a friend. I imagine it's such a hard thing to do when you're a mom and have so many responsibilities at home. So I'm glad that Phil is so supportive and you have a strong partner of home to share these duties with. <3

Diane C. said...

What gorgeous pictures and what an amazing trip to have gone on! I love how active your trip was.
Last year my friend, whom I work with, and I went on a two night ladies' trip and we pretty much just ate cheese and watched rom-coms the whole time. Our husbands had booked the trip for us because they saw what a rough couple of months it had been at work. I thought it was so nice of them - here we were, having just spent weeks pretty much living at the theatre, and they were like, "We miss you guys, but we know you need to get away and be without the kids, so have a good time."

Anne said...

What a wonderful getaway for time with a friend and reconnecting with yourself. I love your pictures and the joy that just pours out of this post. Thank you for sharing!

Charbelle said...

I am so glad that you had the opportunity to take this trip and have some time just for you!!! I know that whenever I have time with good friends I always come back feeling fuller and happier. I know that the flight would be significantly longer for me and I wish that when my friend Margaret was living in that area that I had been able to make the trip to see her. Perhaps someday I will be able to go, although I admittedly I prefer warmer weather destination spots, but I've been adding things like this to my list too!

The Many Thoughts of a Reader said...

What gorgeous photos!!! Glad you had fun.