Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Moving On

I interrupt the regularly scheduled Ten on Tuesday post to talk about an exciting development in my life!

I've alluded to my pending a move a couple of times, but now that the applications have been processed and the leases have been signed - I feel safe formally sharing my news!  I will be moving on July 1st!!

It all came together so effortlessly; it's kind of amazing to me.  2 weeks ago, I was in my condo's office picking up a package.  I casually mentioned that I would be renting out my condo at some point and the office manager told me that she had a great tenant who had lived in the development previously and was looking for a 1 bedroom unit to rent.  This woman is quite possibly the most finnicky person I have ever met so if she was endorsing someone, I figured he was a viable tenant. 

had originally planned on using a rental management company, mostly becuase I didn't want to deal with the hassle of finding a tenant.  But with this glowing recommendation, I thought - maybe I CAN do this myself. 

So I switched geers and started talking to friends who are landlords.  They were able to walk me through the rental application/lease process and provide me with copies of the documents I'd need.  Phew.  It's nice to have friends that know what the heck they are doing and could answer my long list of questions...

So in the span of the week, I met the potential tenant (who loved my place - which shocks me), searched for condos downtown, and found the new place I will call home. 

This is where I'll be moving on July 1st!


To give you some perspective, compare where I will live with where I currently live!

 

This is going to be SUCH a positive change for me.  I will be 3/4 of a mile from work so will be able to walk to work every day (I am about 4 blocks from the skyway so I will still be able to walk to work in the winter).    I'm close to great running trails.  I'll be 3/4 of a mile from my favorite grocery store.  This means I can take more of a European approach and can shop more frequently and buy less - and can walk instead of drive when it's nice out.  I'm also blocks away from the awesome Farmer's Market that I took Kyla, Mandy, and Nora to when they visited last year.  Actually, here is a picture I took last year when they were visiting - this is the surrounding area of where I'll live!!

 
Also?  The building I am moving into rocks.  It has a great outdoor patio area with a pool, barbeque grills, and an outdoor fireplace!  So I will finally be able to grill food (grills are banned by my HOA).  And it's a young community so this might be a good way for me to meet some new people. 

I am super excited - and thrilled about how easily it has all come together.  I think it's a sign that it was meant to me.  I feel like I have a spring in my step again and am actually excited about living in Minneapolis!

I have a lot to do between now and July 1st.  I know it will be a bit stressful at times, but knowing it's going to be such a positive change will keep me from letting the stress get to me too much.

And really, packing > studying in my book!!

30 comments:

Becky said...

So excited for you!!! Like you said, this is going to be such a great change - and what a gorgeous area you'll be moving to!

Kelly (She Wears a Red Sox Cap) said...

Yay I am so excited for you! I may have already said that four times already but that shows HOW excited I am. From the minute you first posted about possibly moving into the city I knew it was the right thing for you to do! Imagine, you can probably go for days without ever moving your car haha.

Unprofessional said...

WHAOO! It's like it all just fell right into your lap! Hope the rest of the process is just as effortless. I used to run in that area ALL THE TIME when I lived on campus at the U of M-SUCH a great running area-so excited for you!

Thanks for your kind words on my flood post...my parents live in Bismarck, ND. Still hoping for the best!

J said...

Awesome Lisa! I am so happy for you! IT is great that you are moving soo close to work! I wish I lived that close to work!

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks said...

YAY, LISA!!!!! So exciting. Things happen when we're ready for them to happen and you're clearly ready for this change. And what great timing - just in time for a fabulous summer in the city!

Raquelita said...

Yay! Moving is a pain, but I think this is going to be such a positive thing for you! I can't wait to hear more about the new place and neighborhood!

Unknown said...

This will be so fun! Downtown Minneapolis is so fun in the summer time. And, their skyway system is wonderful. We do enjoy the shopping frequently concept. Market close by. Yes, this will be great!

I am so excited for you.

Looking forward to Saturday evening, as I am certain you are as well!!!! :)

Jess said...

YAY! Isn't it amazing when you cont.emplate something, and then it just happens, SO right.

I'm thrilled for you.

Nora said...

So very excited for you! I can't wait to see the new place and hear all about the upcoming changes.

I still vote that you get some friends together and do the champagne packing thing a la Sex and the City. =)

Cherry Blossoms said...

So excited to see your new place in July. So happy this worked out for you as I agree, this will be a good change and change is good at times :)

Leigh said...

That's so exciting Lisa! So glad that everything worked out for you :)

Amber said...

SO HAPPY FOR YOU! This is going to be an amazing change in your life :) I know I've read lots of articles about the stress that commuting has on North Americans and if there is an opportunity to live closer to work or work closer to home people should take it! I love that you are seizing this opportunity. Can't wait to see the new place in THREE months :)

Marlys said...

EXCITING!!! I can't wait to see your new apartment and am so happy that you were able to rent your condo so easily! Excited to see you on Saturday evening!

Mandy said...

So so happy and excited for you!! The area that you're going to be moving to is so gorgeous. That seems like such a fun area. I can't wait to see pics of your new apt.

Allison Blass said...

This is so exciting! Good on you for taking control of your situation. :)

I'm coming to Minneapolis over Labor Day to go to the State Fair. Perhaps we will be able to get together? I would love to meet you!

Maris (In Good Taste) said...

Congratulations! I am so happy for you. The new place sounds so ideal!!!

Jess said...

I’m so excited for you!! And so impressed how that all just fell into place. Like you said, it must have just been meant to be. I really think this is going to be a positive step in your life – there’s something about living in a bigger city and actually being able to enjoy the life of living in that city! Can’t wait to hear about all your adventures as I’m sure there will be quite a few :)

crystal said...

Awesome!! Im really excited for you, there is little worse than not being comfortable in your living situation. Im proud of you for being your own landlord too, I would be scared I think!

Abby said...

I am SO SO SO excited for you! And the new place looks amazing! :) How perfect of a location. I'm so so happy for you.

After the past few months of hell you've had with the CFA and all the other stress -- this is such a wonderful positive turn!

The Many Thoughts of a Reader said...

awesome!!!! i am so happy for you!!!

Jeanie said...

Lisa, I am SO happy for you and it sounds perfect in every way -- when things just fall into place like that, you sort of know it is exactly the right thing! Fun to be so close to work and in a fun building with other young people -- should be a great way to meet new people and have lots to do!

Three cheers for you -- packing will never be so fun as when you are so excited!

Amber @ A Little Pink in the Cornfields said...

This is such awesome news for you!!! I can't wait to see the new place - it sounds amazing!!!
I so wish we could have moved this year, but we just resigned our lease for another year. :( I wish I had bought something before I quit my job!
We like our place, it's just tough with dogs. Having a yard would be really nice.
Congrats again, Lisa! I am soooo happy for you!

Ashley said...

Congratulations! This is so exciting! It looks like the perfect location for you!

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said...

That's so awesome!!! Glad to hear that this will be a positive change for you :-) How exciting!

Movie is very fun, especially when there is a lot to look forward to in the new place.

Stephany said...

YAY! I couldn't wait to hear more about this. I am SO EXCITED for you! I can't believe you were JUST talking about how you wanted to move & everything seemed to fall in place for you. I think this will be so perfect for you. Woohoo!

Emily Jane said...

AMAZING news!! It looks so beautiful... yay yay yay!!

Emily Jane said...

AMAZING news!! It looks so beautiful... yay yay yay!!

Shoshanah said...

I'm so excited for you! It just sounds like a perfect fit, and I'm glad to hear to seemed to come together to easily!

Caroline said...

Wahoo! Congrats! I'm moving into my first apartment July 1st too!

Kyria @ Travel Spot said...

Oh my gosh...congrats! I am so excited for you! You are going to have a blast. I can't believe you did it all so fast!