Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Music, Books, Miles and Looks of March

Another month in the books!  March felt like a long month.  We had a week of gorgeous, amazing weather mid-month which had me thinking that maybe we would actually get a real spring this year... and then it snowed and was cold the last week of the month.  Here's hoping April brings warmer temps and RAIN showers (not snow showers) as we really need some moisture here!

Music:


 

Heartbeat by Mat Kearney - Mat Kearney's new album came out last month so I have been listening to it on repeat.  This is one of my favorite songs - it so peppy and upbeat.  And the music video is super fun.  I heart Mat Kearney so much... and it might be a bit of a stretch to say this, but after watching some of his live videos it makes me realize that Phil kind of resembles him.

Books:

March was another strong reading month for me as I read 9 books.  I know that is a lot of books.  People sometimes ask me how I find so much time to read and the answer is that I barely watch any television.  Most nights, unless Phil is over, I don't even turn my TV on as I don't really have any shows that I watch anymore now that Parenthood is over.  Most days, the only time my TV is on is in the morning when I listen to the news while getting ready/eating breakfast. 

It was a month of dichotomy as I read some really great books (I'd recommend any of the 4-star books) and some really not great books, the worst of which was The Empathy Exams.   The starred books are books that counted toward the read harder challenge. I'll be doing a recap later this week about the books I read in the first 3 months of the year for that challenge!

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot* - 4 stars
Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng - 4 stars
The Empathy Exams by Leslie Jamison* - 2 stars
It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini - 3 stars
Paris Letters by Janice Macleod* - 4 stars
The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down by Anne Fadiman* - 3 stars
Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri* - 4 stars
Redeployment by Phil Klay* - 2 stars
Isla and the Happily Ever After by Stephanie Perkins - 4 stars

Miles:

March was a strong month for running as well.  I ran 85 miles and also fit in quite a few barre classes (8 to be exact) and other strength training workouts.  My goal is to keep my mileage around this level for the next couple of months and then starting in June, I'd like it at 100+ miles so I feel ready for my marathon come October.


Looks:

March was all about cropped pants as it was warm enough in the office to bare my ankles (I froze at work all winter).

Outfit #1 is from Banana (as usual).  I got the top and pants with a 50% off coupon.  It pays to have a credit card at that store as 3-4 times a year they have 50% off 5 items sales events.  I NEVER pay full price for anything at Banana - I always hold out for a 40 or 50% off coupon!



Outfit #2 is an oldie but a goodie.  The top is from stitch fix, the pants are from Banana (purchased on clearance last spring).   I wore this on a day when it was 70 degrees outside.  It was great to wear something bright and summery for a change!


Looking at these photos makes me SO glad that I am chopping my hair tonight!  It's just so long and listless. Right now my plan is to chop it to my shoulders, we'll what my hair girl has to say about that, though!

18 comments:

Marlys said...

Your list of books always amazes me, and I should add that you are a fast reader, too! That helps!
I, too, am so happy that spring appears to be here and the sunshine feels wonderful! I think the grass is even turning a tinge of green, which means mowing lawn is approaching. AUGHH!!!!!

J and A said...

You are a reading machine! And I love your outfits, I wish I could tuck shirts in. I have such a short torso that I look funny.

Nora said...

Love the spring like outfit you wore. Wearing brighter colors makes such a difference in my mood!

Jeanie said...

Love both the looks. And oh, those books! I'm averaging about four a month, probably more in the summer or maybe even when I finish my work projects. We'll see! I'm impressed. (I could also turn off the TV...)

Amber said...

Wow your hair is SO LONG!!! Can't wait to see a picture of your cut.

Those outfits both look great on you!! You are really awesome at snapping up deals at Banana Republic!

katielookingforward said...

Hooray for haircuts and cute outfits! I love all the spring/summer clothes that I'm finally able to wear!

Leigh said...

Love both your outfits! Is it sad that I'm usually in workout clothes now? Must step up my mom dressing game! I read everything I never told you and totally forget what it was about now. Memory loss during/after pregnancy is real!

Carolina John said...

I was just thinking that your hair is getting so long! Reminds me that both kids wanted haircuts before they started back to school yesterday. oops.

Stephany said...

Way to go on the reading this month. I read 10 books myself, but 3 of those were audiobooks. Haha.

Yay for haircuts! It always feels good to get a fresh cut, especially when you're feeling drab about your hairstyle.

Gracie said...

Ooh, new hair! Can't wait to see it! I just requested the Henrietta Lacks book on your recommendation - looking forward to reading it.

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks said...

Love those orange pants with the black and white chevron top. Super cute. Can't wait to see what your hair looks like - I was thinking it's gotten so long just as you said it's time to chop it!

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said...

I don't think I know anyone that reads as much as you do :-) That's incredible!

Your hair is long!! I hope you post a picture of the cut.

Charis Faith said...

I don't have a banana card but I do find a surprising amount of my work wardrobe at old navy. I refuse to pay full price for anything because it always goes on sale.

The Many Thoughts of a Reader said...

My legs are jealous of your legs! I started the month off strong working out again and then my birthday week I fell off the wagon. Now, I did THINK about waking up early and working out that week since I was uber busy but I totally fell off the train. Need to restart again in April. I feel like I was most successful when I did the mileaday challenge but I got bored so I am going to have to get something else soon!

Abby said...

I agree with Mom - you are also an insanely fast reader! That definitely helps. I'm with you on no tv! Feels like a waste of time.

I love your outfits from March! You wear cropped pants so well with your super long legs!!

Solid running month! That's awesome!

Kyria @ Travel Spot said...

9 books! You are a machine! I read 7 in March and was actually very surprised, since I had a lot of social engagements on the weekends and so did not read as much then. However, like you, I do not watch TV (I can't remember the last time I did!) and so that definitely helps.

I also liked Henrietta Locks; it was an interesting read. I had heard good things (from the Times, not from a real live person) regarding Redeployment, so it's interesting that you did not like it. I read the Nightingale, which I loved, and am currently reading All the Light we Cannot See, which is so far, so good! I really like WWII books.

Elizabeth said...

Love love love that second outfit! No idea how you can read that much--I'm always so in awe and think it's so wonderful :)

Shoshanah said...

I've been wanting to read The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks for a while now. It just seems like such an interesting read.

And I love your second outfit! I always love seeing color pants on others, but it's just something I never really think about myself.