Friday, March 24, 2017

Currently: March Edition

Hello, Friday!  This was a doozy of a week. My calendar was jam-packed. I know I've said this multiple times lately but I really need a quiet week soon!  Fingers crossed that April is quieter. The most time-consuming wedding to dos are done so that should help, I think!

Reading:  The Turner House by Angela Flournoy.  There's been a lot of buzz about this book as it was a finalist for the National Book award last year and it was the runner-up in last year's Tournament of Books (which is the book equivalent of March Madness). I am really enjoying it! It's about a large family of 13 kids that grew up in the Detroit area. Aside from delving into family dynamics and the different personalities, the book also addresses the decision about what to do with the parents' home which is way underwater (the book is set in 2008 during the housing crisis). I'm really impressed that this is a debut novel.  

Loving:  mangoes and cottage cheese (but not together). I haven't eaten mango much in the past, but 2 recipes I made this month (jerk pork with Caribbean salsa and blackened fish tacos with cabbage mango slaw) called for mango in the taco topping so I bought mangoes twice in one week. I snacked on some while making these recipes and was reminded how GOOD mangoes are. I need to buy them more often! I'm also loving cottage cheese as a snack.  It's so high in protein and a good way for me to get some calcium (I can't stand milk so get my dairy primarily through yogurt).


Feeling: overwhelmed. My calendar is out of control these days, as evidenced by the picture of my March calendar below. Some of the things on my calendar are workouts (e.g., barre and sessions with my personal trainer) but it's all stuff that requires me to be at a certain place at a certain time.  


Thinking: about the seating arrangements for our wedding. Figuring out how to divvy up the guests between tables is quite the puzzle! But I love a good puzzle, so I will figure it out.  RSVPs aren't due until 4/21 so I won't be able to finalize things for several weeks but I wanted to get a head start. 40 people have already RSVP'd and we sent out invitations last Friday!

Anticipating:  my wedding showers in April! My college friends are hosting one in Minneapolis on April 9th and then the following Saturday I'll have my family one at the lake over Easter weekend. My family and friends are putting a lot of thought and work into planning these special events so I am looking forward to seeing what all they have up their sleeve! I'm one of the biggest planners in my family so it's been weird to not be involved in the planning but also wonderful to just show up and enjoy it!

Watching:   the second season of Love on Netflix. This is a fun and quirky show about the relationship of 2 20-somethings in LA. As I've mentioned before, Phil and I have different tastes in shows but this is one that we both enjoy!


Working: on figuring out a strategy to prevent myself from over-scheduling. I sound like a broken record as I keep saying I need to plan less.  But obviously saying I'm going to 'plan less' isn't working. I think something more specific. More on this in a post coming next week.

Grateful:  that I get to marry my favorite person in less than 2 months.  Life feels pretty chaotic right now but I sure love coming home to Phil at the end of every day and look forward to doing that for as long as we both shall live!  I'm also grateful that so many of our friends and family, both near and far, are coming for the wedding. I'm so excited to have so many special and important people in one place!

Listening:
to the Chatty Sisters podcast that my friend Kelly and her sister Caroline launched this month.  I've been friends with Kelly for many years so it's fun to hear her voice on a regular basis!  And I got a shout-out in episode 3!

Wishing: that the weather would warm up.  March is typically not a great month in Minnesota as it can be quite cold. But I'm just ready for warm, springy weather.  I'm so over my winter wardrobe and winter jacket.



What are you loving, watching, and grateful for these days?

10 comments:

Kelly (She Wears a Red Sox Cap) said...

Aw, thanks for the shout out! We are having a lot of fun planning and recording the podcast- and learning how to do it at the same time ha ha.

As you know, I am also terrible an overscheduler- if that's a word. The ONE and only thing that has ever helped me with this is having a child. Max needs time at home and protests loudly when I try to drag him along on a crazy day. One time we had a busy Saturday and on Sunday he woke up and said "can we stay home ALL day?" Ha ha. most of the time the protests aren't that mature lol and involve meltdowns. I still occasionally overschedule us, but I definitely do it less with him in mind. A few weeks ago we got home from Florida, he had school the next day and then we were supposed to some family stuff that night. I told Eric alarm bells were going off in my head, so we didn't do it. It also helped with after work commitments because I really just didn't want to be away from Max multiple nights a week, so most nights I'd schedule nothing- or maybe one thing at night. Sure, I obviously see a lot less people but such is life ha ha. I'm now trying to figure out how scheduling looks when staying at home. It's easier because I have more time on my hands, but now I'm juggling 2 kids and a baby who sleeps a lot better in his crib than out and about. I have a feeling we will still be battling this whole concept in a few years when the boys have activities of their own. So I guess, it's never really over!

I love that your family is throwing you a shower at the lake!

Charbelle said...

I'm with you on the calendar. I actually wrote my mom a note this morning and stated I can't help her when I don't understand what she needs. She was saying last night she feels overwhelmed by "all the things" which she's said multiple times this week. She has yet to elaborate what "all the things" are. I'm happy to work into my already crazy schedule helping her but I need her to definitively explain what she needs. She made the statement well I just think you and Dad see things the way I do.... I'll leave it with that.... I love that you have the friends shower and the family shower, y'all are going to have an absolute blast!!! I love that you have most of the big stuff done! We confirmed the location, my musician request has been accepted, my friend agreed to be my coordinator on the day of and yesterday I ordered invitations! That was a moment of panic when I realized I left off an important line, fortunately the online help person cancelled the order and let me go in and fix it! Such exciting times but SO MUCH TO DO!!!!! A calendar suggestion, just start blocking. I'm going to start doing this. It means booking people further out but at this point it's what I need to do for me. So yes I might not have "official plans" for a week but right now I'm finding myself scheduled at least 3 out of 5 weeknights AND Wednesday nights are always my night with Michael and Charlotte AND we're getting ready to start with a small group on Wednesday nights so that means weekends are even more necessary for just one on one time. It's definitely a balancing act!

Marisa A. said...

I am so over this weather too. I feel like I should be wearing more spring things but it's still too cold. And all my tights are dead and I refuse to buy new ones right now, if I could even find good ones!

Jeanie said...

Lisa, it sounds like things are well in hand (although that calendar photo scared me a little! I remember a calendar like that!) Your happiness just shines through.

I'm loving the promise of spring -- 60 today they say, though rain tomorrow. No matter. Just let it keep getting warmer! I'm watching too much news (but anticipating the two-hour special on the Bronte sisters this week on PBS) and so very grateful for all the good things and people in my life. Happy weekend!

Amber said...

Good luck with scaling back on your schedule, I hope you are able to figure out a strategy that works for you as it does seem like you are SOOOO busy these days! Weekday nights I basically only go to yoga once or twice a week, other than that I don't ever plan anything on weekday nights and that definitely helps me feel less busy. I've also found since Eric started working weekends it's way easier for me to relax on the weekend because we aren't busy running around and doing things together. Of course I really miss having him around on the weekends, but it's also been nice as it's helped me relax more and I've really needed that the last couple of months.

I am loving the Chatty Sisters podcast too!

Linda said...

Catching up on blogs today!

Thank you for reminding me about how much I love mangoes. I haven't had them for months!
You also reminded me that I have milk in the fridge I need to use up. I haven't been home much either but I bought it so I can use fancy hot chocolat before it gets HOT. It's already been up in the 80s.

Gracie said...

One of my favorite snacks is mango and avocado. So delicious! It's really exciting that your wedding is so soon, but I know it adds to the business. Hopefully the remaining weeks are calm and work stays calm, too, to reduce your overall stress.

Stephany said...

Ooh, I watched the first episode of season one of Love on Netflix, but it didn't seem like my type of show, so I stopped watching it. I'm intrigued that both you and Phil like it. Makes me want to try to give it another shot!

I hope you can find a good solution for your busy schedule. I know that's always been an area of struggle for you! It's good to have such a fun, full life, but not if it's stressing you out too much. <3

I am currently loving having more daylight hours in the evening, watching This Is Us (but incredibly behind), and grateful for more time to work on my fiction novel.

San said...

Man, your schedule is very full indeed. I hope you find a solution to not overschedule so much. I know a lot of things are things you wanna do and it's hard to say "no" to something that you otherwise enjoy.

The seating arrangement for a wedding is indeed a puzzle, but I can see how you like a good challenge :)

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said...

We like "Love" too ... haven't started the second season yet though.

Loving: Planning for our upcoming trip back to NYC!!

Watching: Yesterday we started episode one of The Office. We've seen them all before, but it's been a while, and it's pretty much the funniest show ever.

Grateful for: The warmer weather. It felt like a long winter.