Monday, March 20, 2017

Wedding-Planning-Free Weekend!

Happy Monday and Happy First Day of Spring!  I hope everyone had a fun weekend.  Did you celebrate St. Patty's Day?  I can't say that we did, but neither of us has any Irish blood in us so we don't feel compelled to celebrate.  After 2 weekends full of wedding-related to dos, we were due for a wedding-planning-free weekend!  Here is how we filled it.

On Friday night we had Phil's mom over for dinner. I made these fish tacos along with guacamole. The archdiocese gave a dispensation on Friday that allowed Catholics in my diocese to eat meat in celebration of St. Patrick's Day, but it felt like 'cheating' to eat meat since I wasn't celebrating the holiday. Plus fish tacos are so good! I used tilapia and they were so tasty (sorry, no photo!).  I think the best part was the mango slaw, though.  I'll definitely be making that again! After dinner we played a couple of games of Yahtzee.

On Saturday morning I drove out to the west metro area to go to a barre class with a good college friend. It was nice to start off the day with a good workout! After the class, we grabbed breakfast at a cute diner in the area and then we stopped by a new French restaurant that opened up called Bellecour. The restaurant has a cute bakery so we stopped by for a macaron (which was delicious!). It was great to catch up and spend some time with my friend's daughter.

Heidi, her daughter Elle, and me enjoying a macaron!
Saturday afternoon we cleaned the house which is one of my least favorite chores.  It helps that we divide and conquer, though!  In the late afternoon we went to Phil's college friend's couples baby shower. It was fun to see some of Phil's college friends!

After the shower, we headed over to hang out with one of Phil's best men and his wife. We hadn't hung out with them for awhile so it was fun to spend Saturday evening with them! They have an adorable little guy, Leo, who is 16 months. My friend snapped this photo of Phil and I reading a book to Leo.


On Sunday morning I was up early so I could go to mass at 8:45 before heading to my personal training session at 10. The training session was soooo hard!  We did a bunch of different strength training circuits and he had me run some intervals for 10 minutes in the 2nd half of the workout.

Phil went to his mom's for the day and he took Oscar out there for the week (his mom loves having Oscar's company so we bring her there every other month or so). I missed having Oscar around but still enjoyed having day to myself at home. I haven't had a plan-free day in so long so I relished being able to stay home all day. I spent a good chunk of Sunday afternoon working on meal prep for the week.

Sauteing veggies for the egg bake

Sauteing peppers for my salads
Chopped fruit and veggies for snacks
It feels good to have breakfast (veggie and chicken sausage egg bake), lunches (salad with jerk pork and veggies) and snacks taken care of for the week.

The evening was spent relaxing and reading. And I course watched 60 minutes. I love that show and Face the Nation! I also watched a little bit of March Madness basketball but both mine and Phil's brackets were busted yesterday as the teams we picked to win the tournament lost (Louisville and Duke).  Womp womp.

This is another jam-packed week as we have a tasting tonight for our dessert table (!!!) followed by barre class (if we get out of the tasting in time), then tomorrow I fly to NYC for a day full of meetings in New Jersey on Wednesday. I'm squeezing in a dinner with my friend Alli and her husband on Tuesday night which I'm excited about!  Thursday night I have a kick-off meeting for the 2017 community garden season and Friday I have a personal training session right after work.  I reeeeeally need a plan-free week night badly but don't see that happening soon since I travel again next week (this time to Chicago).

I hope everyone has a wonderful week!

What were you up to this weekend? Did you celebrate St. Patrick's Day?

12 comments:

Kelly (She Wears a Red Sox Cap) said...

I love St Patrick's Day :) but I don't like corned beef and cabbage ha ha. We had our Irish vegetable soup and soda bread earlier in the week and then went to a local restaurant on Friday and I had some green beer. I also had fun dressing the kids in their matching green shirts.

Your weekend sounds great! I love that picture of you guys reading! Have fun seeing Alli this week and give her an extra hug from me :)

Charbelle said...

What a super fun weekend!!! Oh my goodness Elle is such a cutie!!!! That picture of y'all reading to Leo is awesome!!! I did meal prep yesterday too, the whole WW world is raving about Kodiak Pancake Powder and if you mix it with Quest Protein powder the recipe make 1 point pancakes. Michael and I made vanilla on Saturday night and Charlotte loved them!!!! Then yesterday I made enough for the week. Michael isn't a huge strawberry fan but Charlotte and I are so I made strawberry pancakes for the week and then I also made chocolate peanut butter ones for both dinner and some for him and then 2 for me. I used chocolate protein mix and the chocolate peanut butter powder I've been using in my other recipes. I had 2 for breakfast, they were YUM! If there is a GF pancake mix I bet it would work really well! I was at Walmart Neighborhood store super early before work stocking up on fresh fruit and frozen fruit. I'm working through lunches because of appointments and last week I didn't eat nearly as much as I had in previous weeks and I do better when I'm eating lots of fruits and veggies! I did get a 6 mile run in on Saturday, in the rain! I contemplated the treadmill but it was 50 outside so I threw on a rain coat and ran outside and I wasn't the only one!

Leigh said...

Your weekend sounds like a good mix of family, friends and down time :) You are a busy lady! Hopefully you can fit in a quiet night at home soon

Amber said...

That sounds like a great weekend!! You are so busy these days! I hope things slow down a bit for you after the wedding. Sounds like it's going to be pretty jam packed and busy right up until then!! I had a good weekend, it was very productive as I got all of the last of the stuff moved over from our rental and got the majority of the cleaning done as well. Will be nice to be 100% done over there so we can start tackling unpacking ALL the boxes in our garage that still need to get put away / be unpacked!

Jeanie said...

I'm glad you had a plan-free weekend since it seems like you'll be right back at it! And everything you did sounded fun and, well, just perfect!

We enjoyed St. Pat's day by having friends for dinner and the rest of the weekend was a blur but a good one. I can't say I got a lot accomplished but slow but sure1

Stephany said...

Whew - busy weekend AND busy week! My weekend was basically the opposite of yours, very, very lazy. :) I needed it after a very rough week (restless pup made for sleepless nights, sigh), but also glad next weekend will be a bit busier!

Lauren @ Sassy Molassy said...

So cute how Leo is sucking his thumb sitting on your lap. Pete had Friday off (he works every other Sat, so has that Fri off). We didn't really celebrate, but the Ducks are in the basketball tournament, so we went to watch their game that morning at a local taphouse/eatery around 11 am. We did have a beer and wore our Ducks shirts, which are conveniently green. ;)

katielookingforward said...

OMG start planning a family immediately (if you want to that is) you look like you'd make a great mom! I really want to check out that french place, but my list of restaurants is long, so we shall see when I actually make it over there.

Gracie said...

Our weekend was remarkably plan-free as well, which was a nice change. We actually attempted to try a new restaurant, too, but we sat there for 20 minutes and a waitress never came, so we left. There are way too many excellent places in NOLA to wait on service!

San said...

Sounds like a really nice weekend, although you still had so many plans (which would make my head spin - I am not used to having so much going on anymore!).

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said...

I can't get over how much you travel for work; you're so busy! That's good that you'll be able to fit in a visit with some friends when you're away :-)

I am so happy that it is officially spring. It has really warmed up here, and restaurants started opening up their patios this weekend.

Marlys said...

I fell in love with papayas in Hawaii! They were so fresh and delicious along with the pineapple & mangos. Gosh, they just don't taste that great from the grocery store! We bought most of the fruit & veggies at a farmer's market while there.
Such a cut picture of you & Phil reading to Leo! He is growing up fast!