Monday, April 18, 2022

A Wintery Easter

Mother Nature delivered a winter-like Easter. It was cold, windy and at times, snowy. Spring is unreliable here in the Midwest, but this April has been extra bad. Since it was so cold and I felt pretty crappy for much of the weekend, we were mostly indoors which means time crawled at a snail pace at times!

On Friday morning, we let the boys open the box of Easter goodies my parents sent. We figured it was best to spread the Easter surprises over 3 days. My mom crocheted some adorable chickens with an opening for an egg. 


We drove up to the library that morning since it was too cold and windy to walk! Since our visit last week, they had changed out the toys in the tree house from dinosaurs to sea creatures and the fruit/vegetable stand is now a post office station with a mailbox and keyboards. 


Phil made lunch while we were at the library - a Spanish Tortilla. The boys enjoyed some sugar cookies that my mom sent in the Easter package.

After nap/quiet time, Paul and I dyed Easter eggs. We only dyed 8 since I am the only person in the family who eats hard-boiled eggs! 


We did the egg hunt in the basement after quiet time on Saturday. Will got a few eggs but Paul got most of them. I'm sure next year will be a bit of a different story. My MIL took care of filling the eggs. She found some cute Thomas-themed trains and included a few treats, some for us (salted caramel-filled chocolates) and some for Paul (peanut butter cups). 



We had our Easter dinner on Saturday evening. My MIL wasn't feeling well enough to join us and she wanted to avoid the head colds we were fighting so it was just the 4 of us. Phil was able to find asparagus at Aldi so we had ham, mashed potatoes, gravy and asparagus. The boys at some ham but that's about it!

One highlight of the weekend was that both boys slept until 6 or later every day! Not having to get up at an hour that starts with 5 was a true gift, especially since I was not feeling well. 

Breakfast with blueberry obsessed Will

The boys got their Easter baskets on Sunday mroning. Will got a book, Paul got some puzzles, some dino eggs that include a dinosaur to assemble, and a space poster. Both boys got some bubble blowing toys. I envisioned them playing with the bubble stuff when I bought it but that was not possible on Sunday!


I took Paul to church that morning at 8:30. He did pretty well overall. We got comments at the end about how much energy he has from the person sitting next to us in the pew - he was an older gentleman and appreciated Paul's energy. 

The rest of the day was spent paying with Easter toys and running around in the basement. 
Paul and I assembled the rocket ship puzzle which is double-sided. He refused to smile for the photo!


It was a 3-day weekend but felt much longer since we were barely outside! Next weekend looks better which is good because I will be gone Friday and Saturday for a work trip. I have to present at a Saturday morning university foundation meeting. This is my first work trip in so so long. I'm glad Will was weaned well before this trip. I am looking forward to having this trip behind me - and Phil is, too! I have rarely traveled since having kids but this is an important relationship so I definitely need to be there. I know some parents are totally fine with work travel after having kids, but it's something I've asked to avoid when possible. But before I know it, it will be behind me. 

How was your weekend?

10 comments:

Grateful Kae said...

That all sounds very nice! I hear you on the weather. We had sun, but that was about it. I like how you spread the activities out over the 3 days. Good thinking! It looks like the boys had fun. :)

As I alluded to in my post today, we had a nice Easter, but not overly thrilling. It's one of those things where nothing went "wrong", and on paper/ in pictures it all looked good. But I guess I just didn't feel 100% or something, or was in a little bit of a cranky mood, maybe, because the underlying vibe was just a little off for me. Oh well. It didn't help that I wasn't particularly well prepared, so I spent all afternoon on Saturday out picking up last minute items for the baskets, getting groceries for our meal, etc. It was CRAZY busy everywhere I went, and I just found it all draining. Ivan was off visiting with an aunt and uncle who are here from Mexico (not staying at our house, but at a cousin's), so while he did stop by Dick's to get the waterbottle/ gym bag gifts for the boys, I took on the rest of the Easter prep stuff. Then in the evening, when I was done, we had to go to his sister's to celebrate our niece's birthday at a little mini-party. The whole day was long and busy/ hectic, lots of people in the stores, then the social engagement at night...So I think by Sunday I was just kind of in the mood to lay low. But instead we then launched into all the Easter festivities. Maybe if I had planned ahead better, and had a more low key Saturday, I would have been in a better mood on Sunday. :)

Hope you are all feeling better around there!! We woke up to snow today, so that was awesome. HA. (Thankfully, it's mostly all melted already I think.)

Elisabeth said...

What a cool puzzle!
I love both the pictures of the boys looking at each other - how sweet.
Sorry about the snow and continued issues with the head colds, but "Yay" for finding asaragus!
It looks like a special Easter and the best gift = a chance to "sleep in."
P.S. I have NEVER dyed eggs, but I LOVE, LOVE hardboiled eggs!

Nicole MacPherson said...

Awww so cute. Glad they had a nice Easter. We had a wintry one as well. It is VERY SLOW to warm up here this year, and it's supposed to snow again tomorrow, deep sigh.

NGS said...

This weather is killing my spring excitement. We did an outside Easter egg hunt with our 11 nieces and nephews and it was good time fun. We've got it down to a science now and even though we were all bundled up in our coats, it was fun to see the kids running around.

Looks like your kids had fun and that's the most important thing!

Jeanie said...

Your holiday looks lovely, Lisa. I really smile at the pix of the boys sitting together and being together. They seem to really like each other. And that blueberry face made me laugh out loud!

I hope your trip goes well. Can you drive or do you need to fly? Take care and stay safe!

Stephany said...

It must be so hard to be stuck inside on a long weekend. At least when it's miserably hot in Florida, you can take the kids to the pool or the beach to cool off. A much different story for a Minnesota winter. I really hope the weather warms up for you guys.

I hope the work trip goes well! I can well imagine all the anticipatory anxiety you're having about it. By this time next week, it will be well behind you!

Jenny said...

What a fun weekend! Especially for the kids, ha ha. I'm sure it was hard for you being stuck inside and also battling a cold. When my son Paul was little, Easter was his favorite holiday. Seemed weird to me that he liked it more than even Christmas, but he really loved hunting for Easter eggs. Now that my daughter is 13 she got pajamas, slippers, and earrings in her Easter basket (along with candy, of course.) Times definitely change! I miss the old days of Thomas and puzzles.
Hope you're feeling better this week!

Life of a Doctor's Wife said...

I'm so glad you found asparagus! I felt weirdly invested in you having some LOL. These photos of the kids are so cute. I have the particular brand of child about whom people ALWAYS make "she has so much energy!" comments. It is satisfying, a bit, that people recognize how energetic she is when they have been around her just a few minutes! Although they have no idea how it is to be around that level of energy all day every day, haha.

Anne said...

Super late comment but oh, I hear you on the hideous midwestern Easter weather. It just does not feel like spring, even when we have a late Easter, like this year! I'm glad you all survived the inside time and I hope hope hope that you feel better soon. And that the viruses leave you all alone for a bit! You've had waaaay more than your fair share...

San said...

You did a great job making Easter weekend fun, even though you were stuck inside. I love the photos of the boys together. So sweet.