Friday, April 15, 2022

Four Things Friday

Happy Friday! Today is a start of a 3-day weekend for us as the financial markets are closed so Phil and I are both off today and the kids' school is closed, too. The weather is not looking great... highs in the upper 30s to low 40s. Could be worse, but come on! It's mid April! Throw me a bone, mother nature! I'm sure we'll bundle the kids up and get outside for some trips to the park but the Easter egg hunt will certainly be indoors this year. Womp womp. Here are 4 things on my mind today!

1. I watched a recording of Brandi Carlile's performance at the Grammy's with Paul and it filled my heart with joy that he could sing along to the song! He is a big Brandi Carlile fan and will request certain songs by her. I have been a huge Brandi fan since the early days. I think I've seen her in concert at least 6 times? Maybe more? I'm excited to see her in concert this summer although I'm bummed that she's become so popular that the concert is at a huge venue. I miss the days of seeing her in tiny venues with excellent acoustics, but I am glad her talent is being appreciated by others. I can see myself taking Paul to a concert when he is older!

2. Yesterday I found out I am eligible for Evusheld, which is a prophylactic treatment for Covid! I am thrilled about this! My rheumatologist let me know I qualified when I saw her this winter because of an immune suppressant injection I take to treat my rheumatoid arthritis. At that time she said I was far down the priority list but that I might be able to get it around summer time. I am battling yet another cold - the same cold that Will and Phil have and yet I am FAR sicker than they are. Rheumatoid arthritis is treated by suppressing your immune system so your body doesn't attack itself so I just don't have a fighting chance to battle any virus, as evidenced by how sick I've been this winter! So I am glad I will have extra protection against covid. I continue to be amazed that we haven't gotten it. Thank goodness it doesn't tend to spread among small children - having our kids in daycare has always been our biggest risk of getting covid, but something a risk we have had to take. 

3. We are going to have a quiet Easter and I am ok with that, especially since I am feeling under the weather. I'm planning to take Paul to church on Sunday - and will wear a mask (I feel comfortable going because I've done 2 covid tests this week and both were negative so it is just a cold). My MIL has been having some health problems so there's a good chance she won't feel well enough to join us for our Easter meal.  So it might just be the 4 of us. I'm planning to make ham, mashed potatoes, gravy, and asparagus if Phil can find some at the store - he hasn't seen any recently which is odd since this is usually when he starts to see it at Aldi! Our substitute will be brussel sprouts if he can't find asparagus. Chances are, Paul will barely eat any of what I make. We'll see what Will eats. Our German meat-and-potato grandparents must be rolling over in their graves over our children's eating habits. ;) I'm most excited about making a soup with the ham bone! 

4. Bedtime continues to be really challenging here. Paul has been napping at school so he is just not tired. I've lost the hour of time with Phil at the end of the day. Lately by the time Paul is asleep and we can leave his room, it's time for me to turn in. I keep telling myself it won't always be like this. He's currently requiring that we sit in the chair in his room or lay next to him until he falls asleep. I don't mind sitting in the chair because I can sneakily read a book on the kindle ap on my phone. But I can't do that if I am laying next to him. We are going to try a later bedtime to see if that helps, but he has to be up so early for school so it creates a bad cycle of being tired in the morning which probably leads his teachers to have him nap... He moves into the pre-K room next month and allegedly the nap is shorter and most don't nap so I am hoping things improve in a month or so? Please let that be the case!

Your turn - what is going on in your world right now? Do you have Easter or Passover plans?

7 comments:

Jeanie said...

I am thrilled that you qualify for the Evushield. I hadn't heard about that and it will be such a good thing for you. A big relief. I know what you mean about kids not eating. Carson hardly ate a bite at dinner (although fair to say he did have more chocolate than a boy should after the Easter egg hunt.) He's super picky. Our Easter will be just Rick and me -- we did it with the kids last week. We have plenty of asparagus here and at good prices. Wish I could send you some!

Kyria @ Travel Spot said...

It sucks that Pablo is a picky eater. My brother was a picky eater too; I recall days of him eating just white rice with catsup. Although my mom never made him a separate meal, which I think is a good thing, he would sometimes complain and/or barely eat what was there. And let me tell you, my mom was not making spicy or very strange things! I think (?) I was a good eater, but I have heard one famous story about how they told me I could not leave the table until I ate my peas and I was ready to stick it out all night if I had to. I think my mom finally caved after I sat at the table refusing to eat them for a while. Oh, the joys of being a parent!

My brother and I are going to hike Mt. Whitney this weekend. After checking YouTube for recent videos etc. it looked like it was not very snowy so we made the plans to do it, but they had snow this week and another couple inches is expected on Saturday. We are still going to go and to camp, but it may be a different (or shorter!) trip than we initially expected. I am excited about seeing the mountains in a different light, as I have only been to Whitney in the summer. Other than that, our family was never a big Easter party family, so we sometimes get together but its not really an every year thing.

Have fun on Sunday; I am sure the boys won't mind if the bunny does not leave the candy outside! I think our baskets were always hidden inside too!

Suzanne said...

I'm so sorry you aren't feeling well and hope that the cold subsides well before the weekend is over. Your Easter meal sounds lovely (and I feel you on the picky children eaters!). We have been swimming in asparagus this spring, so hopefully your husband can find some!

And YAY for the Covid treatment! That is excellent news!

Elisabeth said...

It WON'T always be like this, I promise, but it can feel like it's taking forever. That final nap when they're nearing the stage of dropping it is just SUCH a drag.

We had a Good Friday service this morning; it's raining now and kinda cold and damp. Ugh. So I'm nestled in bed with some Magic Bags. I'll venture out for a 1km walk and then we have company coming for supper.

Tomorrow I'm going thrifting with my friend; we haven't gone together in almost a year, so I'm excited for that. Sunday will be church and family stuff. Monday is another holiday for the kids. I'm not technically off work, so I'll squeeze things in and around family activities. Maybe a long hike if the weather cooperates?

I'm SO glad you're eligible for the COVID treatment. This is absolutely wonderful news. So, so happy. You've had such a hard time with all the various bugs going around and face an uphill battle because of your RA medication so this is some much-deserved good news.

Hoping this latest cold passes quickly.

As for asparagus; we rarely eat it but it has been EVERYWHERE lately and so, so inexpensive. Very odd. Maybe all the asaparagus mistakenly has been shipped up in Nova Scotia?

Carolina John said...

We got some snow last weekend too in the mountains! Crazy, 80*+ temps in Augusta GA on thursday, snowing and 32* in the mountains on Friday and Saturday, then back in SC saturday evening and 70* again. crazy.

Stephany said...

That is excellent news that you qualify for the COVID treatment. I'm amazed that you have all remained COVID-free, especially with your immunosuppressed state! But so, so glad, too. It would have been awful to get it, and now you have this treatment available! What a relief.

Man, those nighttime battles must be so hard! I hope that things go better when Paul switches to the pre-K room (but also, the Pre-K room??? Wasn't he JUST BORN???)

San said...

Oh, that's awesome that you'll be eligible for this prophylactic Covid treatment. Anything that will keep people healthy is a good thing, esp. people who have preexisting conditions.