Wednesday, April 6, 2022

What We Read in March

I had another solid reading month in March! I read 10 books but several books were on the shorter side so that is likely why I achieved a double-digit month of reading! I continue to read more non-fiction that usual. Over 1/3 of what I've read so far this year is non-fiction! Here is how my reading broke down!

Fiction Reads:



My favorite fiction reads were The Nothing Man (thriller) and Piranesi (cross between fantasy/mystery). I was the outlier in my group of friends and did not love A Psalm for the Wild Built. I also did not care for How High We Go in the Dark (so dark and the linked short story format didn't work well for me) or The Girl Who Reads on the Metro (story line was not at all believable). So overall, my fiction reading wasn't the best in March since I only really really liked 2 of the 6 books.

Non-Fiction Reads:


I enjoyed all 4 of these books! The Story of the GBBO made me nostalgic for the earlier seasons of the show. I miss Mary, Sue and Mel so much! The Day the World Came to Town was a very endearing book and it makes me want to seek out the play that was inspired by the book. Invisible Child was excellent and heart-breaking. It chronicles the experiences of a family living in poverty in NYC.

Paul's Reads:

These some of Paul's favorite books from the month. We read all 4 multiple times. Phil and I liked "See the Cat" best but were happy to re-read all 4 (that is not always the case - some of Paul's favorites are not books we enjoy, but it's not about us so we will re-read things even if we didn't love them). 

What was your best read from March? What books are your kids enjoying these days?

7 comments:

Elisabeth said...

I want to read all your non-fiction reads!!!!

Oh how I love the GBBO, especially in the "good ol' days" with Mary, Sue etc.
I'm almost finished the most recent season of the Great Canandian Baking Show. It's not as good as GBBO, but I still find the whole experience so relaxing (it has taken me about 4 months to get through the 7 episodes, though, so that gives you an idea of how long it takes me to finish things I watch solo - it's a bit ridiculous).

Hmmm. March reading. I really enjoyed The Lincoln Highway (I know it has very mixed reviews), Keep Moving by Maggie Smith (also mixed reviews). I just finished a book about "New Minimalism" last night which was a very relaxing read, but also made me want to get out of bed and organize my sock drawer. Oh wait, I actually did that yesterday afternoon. Please tell me that's not 100% pathetic?!
Oh and in March I finished the Anne series. I was ready to be done, but I actually did like the final book which surprised me.
In other reading news, I've put a hold on Bittersweet (Susan Cain's new book) and I am SO excited for that book to launch.

Nicole said...

I loved Everyone In This Room Will Someday Be Dead!

Kyria @ Travel Spot said...

That's a solid reading month! I hate it when I read a lot but many of them I don't love. This used to happen when I travelled, as I had to read whatever books were available in English and some of them were really bad! Although I did read some interesting ones like a book about Whitey Bulger that I probably would never have picked up on my own!

I read and really enjoyed the Nothing Man in March too. I admit at first the back and forth was a little confusing but once I got the hang of who was who, I was hooked. I loved the story within a story idea and sometimes had to recheck the authors name as I forgot that it was not actually Eve!

NGS said...

I'm so sad that Netflix has taken the old Mary, Sue, and Mel episodes of GBBO off in the U.S. I used to just have them on in the background to keep me company.

I love Becky Chambers and I'm so sad that A Psalm for the Wild-Built didn't resonate with you. I'd be interested in more of your thoughts on it. I still haven't read it because I'm like 400 on the waitlist at the library, but I've heard nothing but good things about it.

Stephany said...

I also read and loved The Nothing Man in March! I tried Piranesi sometime last year but I just couldn't get into it. I've heard so many rave reviews but fantasy like that is just really difficult for me. Oh well!

Anonymous said...

Kids books:
Very Hungry Caterpillar and everything Eric Carle
Clifford the Big Red Dog
Pete the Cat
A Color of His Very Own by Leo Lionni
The Big Book of Bugs by Yuval Zommer

Anne said...

OK, this is making me think I need to just go ahead and buy The Nothing Man. This is something like the 4th "loved it" review I've read!

Your nonfiction ones look awesome, too. I haven't read the Day the World Came to Town but thinking it might be a good buddy read with one of my friends...

And I love that you share Paul's favorites! That will be so much fun to look back on. :)