Thursday, June 6, 2013

Freedom, Sweet Freedom

Happy almost Friday, everyone!  I hope everyone is having a great week.  Despite the fact that I don't feel all that great about how the exam went, what I do feel great about is GETTING MY FREE TIME BACK.  Yes, ALL CAPS.  Words can't really express how exhausting it was to fit in all those study hours.  But now it is all behind me and I can enjoy life and spend time doing the things I enjoy.

When I was home last weekend, I got a lot of questions about how I like Charlotte thus far.  I obviously am not loving it here so far, but I also recognize that it's not fair to judge Charlotte based on my first 8 week here.  I mean, I have used just over a half a tank of gas in the span of 8+ weeks.  That is CRAZY.  Clearly I have not been getting out much.  Between being cooped up studying and having my mobility limited by the boot, I haven't really had the opportunity to give Charlotte a chance.

But that has to change, and it starts this week.  While I know I do not want to be here long term, the fact of the matter is that I am here.  And I can grumble and make a sport out of hating Charlotte, or I can accept it and make the most of my time here.  I'm choosing the latter of the two options.

I've got a full weekend on tap, most of which will be solo activities, but at least I am getting out and doing something!  Here is what I have planned!

- Tomorrow after work I am going to check out the Taste of Charlotte.  It's a street food festival featuring dishes from local Charlotte restaurants.  I only see a couple of GF things on the list of dishes, but I think it will still be fun to walk around and check it out.

- I'm finally going to hit up the library and get a library card.  I have been getting eBooks from the Minneapolis library but I really need to have access to a local library for books that are not available in eBook format.

- On Saturday morning I am getting a massage.  A thoughtful friend got me a gift certificate to a spa here as a birthday present when she found out about my move and I have been saving it for some post-CFA pampering!

- On Saturday afternoon, I am going to an outdoor music festival with a girl that I met through work.  I think it's a small event at a person's house or something like that, but it sounds like it will be a fun event. And it's by a lake! I am looking forward to meeting my friend's husband and some of their friends.

- On Sunday afternoon, I am going to check out some local Botanical Gardens.  I don't know much about flowers, but it sounds like a pretty place to walk around and check out.

So there you go!  I am really happy that I have a fairly full weekend on tap.  I am most definitely going to enjoy my first CFA-studying free weekend in 23 weeks!!!!  Hopefully I'll have a post-worthy weekend experience to share next week!

What do you have planned this weekend?

23 comments:

Kelly (She Wears a Red Sox Cap) said...

Sounds like a great weekend you have planned :) I'm so glad you have your free time back and will actually be able to enjoy some things in Charlotte. I completely agree the best thing you can do is enjoy as much as you can!

This weekend I'll be going to the Cape (rain-- again!) and doing a triathlon with Caroline. We are swimming in the ocean, it's going to be cold :) The rest of the weekend we will relax, pray for sun and then eat out at yummy restaurants. On the way home, we will stop to eat dinner with my best friend and her adorable baby. I think it will be a good one!

Gracie said...

It's good to get out, especially by yourself at forst, to check the area out. The botanical gardens are supposed to be lovely.

J said...

Sounds like you will be busy this weekend! I really hope you are able to enjoy Charlotte while you are there and if you stay busy the time will fly by!

My plans for the weekend are throwing my best friends baby shower at my house! I am slightly stressed but everything is coming together so I am happy!

Becky said...

Yay! So glad you'll have a Charlotte-filled weekend (and I like to think a little guide you got has something to do with this....) :)

You know since you're telling us about this it means you HAVE to take pictures, right? RIGHT?!

Crissy Rae said...

Sounds like you have a great weekend planned. I am going to the Taste also, hope they have some delicious foods to taste! I went last year and it was a pretty good time. Haven't been to any botanical gardens yet but they are also on my to-see list. They should be beautiful now. I really want to check out the Whitewater Center: zip lining, rock climbing, and trails...sign me up! Have a great weekend and enjoy the sights!

abbi said...

Enjoy your weekend out and about in Charlotte!

Marlys said...

Bravo! That's the attitude to have! I know you will discover things that you will enjoy, and make friends along the way! I hope the weather is cooperative for your adventures and do recap them for us!

Jeanie said...

I am SO happy you are finally being able to get out, relax and give Charlotte its due. Sounds like a terrific weekend -- I'd love all those things. And nice to have made a new work connection. Three cheers -- have fun!

Melissa said...

Sounds like you have a solid weekend ahead! Nice to see you out of that boot and able to do some activities. Plus, CFA is dooooone! Yay! Enjoy :)

Nora said...

YAY for being able to get out and about and not having to study =) Sounds like you have some fun things to look forward to and if nothing else, makes for some fun stories, right?

This weekend I need to get some deep house cleaning done (I know, that sounds SO exciting, doesn't it?), we have a bbq dinner date with friends on Saturday night, and then possibly a family dinner on Sunday night since my brother is home. Otherwise some exercise, reading and relaxing. Trying to save up my energy for the fun and chaotic weeks ahead!

Linda said...

Loving how proactive you're being!

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks said...

I'm loving how much you have planned this weekend, not to mention how many of those plans will get you outside (something you also sorely missed while studying)! Our weekend is busy, too ... Gavin's classes, time with grandparents, going to the Chicago Blues festival and a White Sox game.

Cherry Blossoms said...

Love hearing that you have a fun, filled weekend. Looks like nice weather as well. Enjoy being free and exploring your new city and maybe you will end up with only 1/4 a tank of gas left. That is too funny about the gas!

Stephany said...

This post just makes me SO happy! I'm so glad you're going to be able to get out and explore more of Charlotte - AND meet some new people! Hooray! AND NO STUDYING! WOOOOHOOOOO!!!

This weekend, I have some social plans with friends and then lots of downtime for me which I so need because my to-do list is a mile long! Should be a fairly productive weekend, hopefully!

Shoshanah said...

LSU baseball has a their super regional so I'm sure we'll be watching some baseball. But the boy has a game of his own Sunday assuming it doesn't get rained out. One of our friends had a baby last week, so we might stop by this weekend, and I'm sure we'll get to a movie (probably The Internship), but a pretty normal weekend for us.

And I've had fun at the botanical gardens I've been to. I know little about flowers, but it's always fun to be around pretty things.

Leigh said...

Sounds like you have a fabulous weekend planned! I've never been a food truck event, but it sounds like it would be fun. Enjoy your massage!

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said...

Music festival, food festival and a massage!? Have you turned in to me!!? Haha, awesome! I am so happy you are treating yourself and enjoying your free time. You totally deserve it!! This weekend Christopher's band is on tour in our neighboring province, and I'm going on a little road trip with the other girlfriends to join our boys and watch them play :-) It should be a great weekend. I'm looking forward to hearing about Taste of Charlotte and the music festival!

Mandy said...

I am so glad that you have free time to explore and cross a few things off your southern to do list. You absolutely deserve a massage and a wonderful weekend. Looking forward to hearing about the music event. Enjoy friend!

Abby said...

This makes me so happy!! I knew once this CFA was done life would change drastically (for the better)!

Enjoy your weekend. I am envious of your close proximity to the ocean. Although Tucson has beautiful mountains and hiking....I pine for water. However, we have just recently discovered the big lakes that exist (only downside is they're man-made...and it's quite evident)

I've been to the Tucson Botanical Gardens and LOVED it. I think you're really going to enjoy this. It's very impressive! The flowers are just incredible.

Amber said...

That sounds like a GREAT weekend of plans! I hope you have an awesome time and really enjoy that free time from studying. This weekend I have running on the agenda (of course, that seems to be all I say anymore when people ask what I'm doing on a weekend!) spending time with my friend Jen doing some wedding stuff and I also just want to relax around the house a bit as I was away the last two weekends!

Elizabeth said...

Yea! I hope some of the weekend events turn out to be good experiences :)

The Many Thoughts of a Reader said...

Sounds like a fun busy weekend! We had a grad party last night, a 1st bday party today and a 90 bday party tomorrow. And we need to get our camper out to get ready for camping. But so far we have had a lazy family morning after a late night last night haha.

Kyria @ Travel Spot said...

That sounds like a lot of fun things! I especially like the sound of the Taste of Charlotte. We have a food truck gathering every week called Off the Grid and there are some fun things to try! Sometimes they will even have music and wine and all kinds of good things!