Monday, February 19, 2024

Change of scenery!

We finally managed to visit my parents! It took 3 attempts but the 3rd time was the charm. We had an awesome visit. My mom is such a great cook and always feeds us so so well! Friday night we had salmon, asparagus and baked potatoes. Saturday morning she made a delicious egg bake, then for lunch we had a yummy soup with ground turkey and lots of veggies, then chips, homemade guac, and salsa for an afternoon snack, and then roasted chicken, smashed potatoes and green beans for dinner with homemade ice cream for dessert. She is totally in her prime when hosting people as she loves spoiling her family with delicious meals. And we are happy to be on the receiving end! 


My 100yo grandma lives about an hour from my parents so I went to see her on Saturday morning with my dad. She had a terrible stomach bug that landed her in the hospital in January but she has somehow bounced back. Every time I see her I know it might be the last so I am grateful for every visit. She is so very ready to pass away, though, especially since her macular degeneration makes it impossible to do any of her hobbies like read, play scrabble or crochet. There is such a thing as living too long. 

But back to the more uplifting part of the weekend! The adults played cards (cribbage during the day and rummy after the kids were in bed) and the kids enjoyed playing with toys and games during the day, and being read to. Phil and I took on my dad and Paul in Trivial Pursuit Junior and just barely won. Paul read all of the questions for his team and barely needed any help!




The lure of the lake home in the winter is all the pampering and family time but the boys went outside both days and walked on the frozen lake with daddy. 


We came back on Sunday afternoon so we’d have Monday to prepare for the week ahead (we almost always come back the day before we have to go back to work so we can get groceries, do laundry, etc). Phil and I have the day off today and Paul doesn’t have school, but Taco does. Then tomorrow I fly out for a trip to SC/NC. 

Is this a long weekend for you? 

No comments: