Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Grandpa's Little Girl

You could definitely say that I was "Grandpa's Little Girl." I was fortunate to have grown up with my grandparents just down the road from us. My Grandpa's shop was right next door to our house, so every afternoon, I would run over to the shop and spend the afternoon with my Grandpa and his brothers. I'd entertain them with stories and they'd take me uptown for their coffee break where I'd sit with a bunch of older men, tell more stories, and show off my abilities to count to 10 in Spanish (thanks to Sesame Street!). I have so many fond memories of those afternoons with my Grandpa. He is probably the reason that I am so chatty and love to talk and tell stories.

It's still hard for me to believe that my Grandpa is gone. It just happened so fast. He was truly larger than life. He loved my Grandma so much, and was so proud of his children, his grandchildren, and his great grandchildren. And he was definitely someone that you wanted on your Trivial Pursuit team - the man knew his history! He passed his love of reading onto to me and I loved to shop for books for his Christmas gift.

But he is gone and the time has come to sell the tractors and other machinery that he accumulated over his long and wonderful life. He spent many hours rebuilding the engines of some of these machines. He'd probably be pretty disappointed to find out that his own granddaughter doesn't know how to change the tire on her car!

The auction will be held by my parents' house today and I decided to take the day off from work so I could be there. I feel like it is important for me to be there. After all, I watched my Grandpa re-build so many of these engines. Attention must be paid to the fruits of this great man's labor.

I am sure Grandpa is looking down from above and must be smiling to see all these beloved machines lined up, ready for the sale. Here are a couple of pictures to give you an idea of how much machinery will be sold today. According to my mom, the pictures don't do it justice, but this gives you an idea! There will be 2 different auction rings and the auctioneer is expecting 1,200 people!





So today another chapter of my Grandpa's life will come to close. But I know that his spirit is not contained in his possessions here on earth. His spirit is best summed up by the quote I used when I spoke at his Prayer Service back in February:



"The history of our grandparents is remembered not with rose petals but in the laughter and tears of their children and their children's children. It is into us that the lives of grandparents have gone. It is in us that their history becomes a future."

10 comments:

Becky said...

My condolences again to you and your family. I think it's really great though that you're honoring your grandfather by being there.

Anonymous said...

Cue tears/goosebumps.

Thinking of you on this day.

Your Grandpa I'm sure is loving that you took the time to be there in honor of his memory.

Amber said...

Aww, definitely thinking of you today! What a big day it will be! It sounds like your Grandpa had an amazing and wonderful life and I'm positive he's looking down on you guys today and smiling!

Unknown said...

I am happy you are able to be there today. This sale will be an memorable event for the entire community. Rudy was an important figure to so many people. My heart goes out to your grandma, your dad and his siblings. I look forward to hearing more from you. And, the weather is perfect!!!

Abby said...

....And you have me in tears. Beautiful post.

It literally gives me chills to see the pictures of all Grandpa's work.

I remember every day you would hear his blue truck come rolling down the road to go work in his shop. I always wondered what exactly he was doing in there. All these tractors show proof of his talents.

He is definitely proudly looking from heaven today. I am glad you got to be at the sale to represent our family.

Mama Nastase said...

Beautiful closing, Lisa! I know he would be proud.

Hugs!

Little Fish said...

This made me think of my own Grandpa who passed away two and a half years ago. I miss him very much. I think you and I were (and are) lucky girls!

I'm sure your Grandpa is very proud of you!

The Many Thoughts of a Reader said...

(((())) When I least expect it, I have started getting weepy over my grandma's passing. Like listening to "Isn't it Ironic" by Alanis Morrissette (don't ask) or when I realized I couldn't call one of my biggest fans and tell her that I got the job I wanted... and just thinking about it makes me cry.. and the thought that she will never meet my children.. she was one of my biggest fans and now i don't get to call her anymore.. i do not think i can erase her phone number from my phone.. when i see her name on my contact list i almost cry.. ahh..

aimee said...

Wow..those pictures are really amazing. I'm sure it was bittersweet to auction those off. I hope the day went well for you and your family. Its so great that you have all those wonderful memories of him.

Ashley Gerner said...

Thank you Lisa for putting into words what i couldn't...Tuesday was such a weird day, and than when they began to haul everything away...i didn't want to watch but at the same time i couldn't look away. I kept telling myself that Grandpa would be happy knowing his treasures went to people who valued them just as much and who will "breathe new life into them" or at least that's what i hope will come of this...
Anyways, thank you, it was so nice seeing you on Tuesday and i hope you have a great weekend!