Thursday, November 11, 2010

Ten Days of Thanksgiving: Day 2

First off - thank you for your kind, sweet comments yesterday! Thanks for being so excited for me!

Now onto Day 2...

Today I am thankful for the brave Veterans who fought and continue to fight for our freedom.

Today is Veteran's Day so it seems fitting to dedicate today's post to the brave men and women who have decided their lives so that we can enjoy the freedoms that we all too often take for granted.

As I have aged, I have become more interested in the wars of our past and the stories of the men and women who fought in those wars; I feel like it is my duty as a US citizen to learn more about the sacrifices they have made for us. So each year, I try to read a couple of non-fiction books so I can broaden my knowledge of the wars of our past and present.

Today, I give thanks for the soldiers of the past, present, and future. I am thankful for these men and women who, as the song America the Beautiful so eloquently states, "more than life, their country love."

From the bottom of my heart, thank you.

9 comments:

Nicole said...

That is such a great idea to read up on our own history. So often I think we forget to learn about our own country's past once we are out of school and forced to do so. I think I might take up a similar action plan.

Mandy said...

Its always so important to give tribute to those who serve in the military. I love that you do these thanksgiving countdowns.

Nora said...

Couldn't agree with you more; it's more and more "real" to me if that makes sense as I have about five friends who are married to a service man or are a service person themself. The sacrifices they go through, the stories they share... it's just so incredible. No other word for it.

Becky said...

Amen! I agree about reading some non-fiction books. It's nothing compared to real-life conversations with veterans themselves but it's better than not being educated about it at all! It makes me sad to think when we have kids there really won't be many (if any) WWII vets left to talk to them about it. (I remember that always being a big day in school).

Amber said...

We call it Remembrance Day here :-) Do you guys all wear poppies too or is that just a Canadian thing??

I definitely think it is important to take a few moments today to remember the REASON we all have the luxuries and freedoms that we do in North America.

Lauren @ Sassy Molassy said...

You are too good! I'm so impressed that you read books to learn more about our history and the people who fought for our country. The idea of it kind of bores me to tears, but I'm sure some of it is pretty interesting.

Abby said...

Do you know the significance of the poppy? I saw Amber's comment that they, too, wear them in Canada. Interesting. I could look it up -- but, I'm lazy right now? (and my computer is craaazy slow, and only allows 1 page at a time to be up)

That's such a good idea to read at least one war/history book each year! Our vets really do an amazing thing to make a sacrifice out of love for their country!

Unknown said...

Good call on the veteran's day. I should call my dad. Opps.

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said...

We call it Remembrance Day in Canada :-)